Windows 10: Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes

Discus and support Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We have a specific group of domain bound computers with authenticated users that are randomly changing their Time Zone from Central Daylight Time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JonesMD, Dec 5, 2019.

1. JonesMD Win User

Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes

We have a specific group of domain bound computers with authenticated users that are randomly changing their Time Zone from Central Daylight Time to Eastern time (as displayed in Time/Date settings and the clock is advanced by an hour).

It has been confirmed that there are no Group Policy objects set to specify a time zone to a group of users.

We've also verified that our public IP addresses Geo-locate to our site in Milwaukee WI, quite accurately. We do have an office in New York, but no services or systems out of that office are providing time configurations. We're currently working on Root Cause Analysis, but the event logs aren't giving us much information.

I've written and deployed a script to a handful of effected systems to enable W32tm debugging; we're waiting for some data-points to make their way back to us. We have considered the possibility of a wireless access point being misconfigured, but we've had several systems connected to the same WAP, that do not change their time... to the point that we had two computers from the same specific group that are both effected, sitting next to each other and connected to the same WAP; one was CDT, the other was EST.

I'm just curious if this has been experienced out in the wild by other IT folks. If there are any ideas as to what can be causing this, I'm more than happy to hear any ideas.

:)

JonesMD, Dec 5, 2019

2. Time Zone Change

Cool, thanks for the great instructions. I just followed all those steps, and all it seemed to do was turn set time zone automatically back on. I assume that this is what it was intended to do, but does that fix the problem of randomly changing time zones?

ForThePeople, Dec 5, 2019
  3. Ellen22 Win User
    Unable to change the time zone in Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 Pro. My time zone is Jerusalem, but I need to change it to Eastern to test a program I'm working on.

The time zone won't change. I have tried:

• From the clock/calendar, when I change it - it changes back.
    • From Control Panel - Date and Time, "Change time zone..." - when I click save I get the message "Error occurred - your changes could not be saved."
    • As the Built-in Administrator from the command line using tzutil - I get the message "Insufficient privileges to set the current time zone."

The registry key TimeZoneInformation has Full Control for Administrators

Administrators are listed in the Local Security Setting "Change the Time Zone"

Any suggestions?

Ellen22, Dec 5, 2019
  4. JLegendre Win User

Windows 10 Domain Computers are Changing Time Zones by Themselves

Almost all of the Windows 10 computers on our domain are resetting their time zones to CST from EST by themselves. I will go on, change the time zone and a couple minutes later it will reset itself back. I have tried pushing them to a different DC and
    they still do it. I have tried restarting the Windows Time service on them as well with no luck. For some reason we are only seeing it on the Windows 10 machines. Has anyone had any experience with this?

JLegendre, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - Domain bound - Time Zone randomly changes - Similar Threads - Domain bound Zone

2. Change Time zone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Time zone: I am trying to change my Time Zone but the button isn't allowing me and is grayed out. Please help me change the time zone. How can I get the button to allow me to change the time zone?...
  3. Time Zone change in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Zone change in Windows 10: Hi, I am not able to change time zone logging as administrator. Not sure whats wrong. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone-change-in-windows-10/08281e3d-0148-40f3-b177-3be35da1bfa5
  4. Changing Time Zones in Windows 10

Changing Time Zones in Windows 10: I cannot change my time zone in Windows 10. The time zone option in Settings is greyed out. I have tried all three fix options provided in other threads but no joy. With COVID and the new normal of Teleworkiing, people are now Time Zone Dynamic. My computer sits in Central...
  5. Windows 10 Change Time Zone

Windows 10 Change Time Zone: I just got a new laptop and the timezone is wrong. It gives me an error message when I try to change it telling me I don’t have permission and to log in as Administrator. I am the Administrator. I saw a CMD command suggested somewhere, but I need the EXACT command for Eastern...
  6. Incorrect time zone on domain computers

Incorrect time zone on domain computers: I have a customized Windows 10 image and associated answer file loaded into my Server 2012 R2 WDS. In the past my clients got set to our correct time zone "Mountain Standard Time", exactly how it is in my answer file. I remember spot checking a few deployed PC's about two...
  7. change time zone

change time zone: I have recently restore my laptop and I cant change my time zone to gmt5.30. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-time-zone/48c89f25-8f2b-47bd-a2bb-ddb3e82e9450
  8. Time Zone Randomly Changes to Brasilia

in Windows 10 Support
    Time Zone Randomly Changes to Brasilia: I started have a problem with my clock today. I noticed it was 2 hours ahead of the normal time. When I checked the Date and Time Settings, the time zone was set to Brasilia. After changing clock back to Central Time (US & Canada) it was fine for an hour. Then it switched...
  9. Change Windows 10 Time Zone

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Windows 10 Time Zone: Hi, I have no idea why the following command does not work and does not change the time zone to -5? Since when I set it manually to -5, the following key will be applied the same: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  10. Change Time Zone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Time Zone in Windows 10: How to: Change Time Zone in Windows 10 How to Change the Time Zone in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time and time zone. A time zone is a region that observes a uniform...