Windows 10: Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download?

Discus and support Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This should be an easy question. To avoid potential conflicts, I need to upgrade a few hardware items before the Windows 10 install due to driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HikerGuy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. HikerGuy Win User

Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download?

This should be an easy question.

To avoid potential conflicts, I need to upgrade a few hardware items before the Windows 10 install due to driver issues, including my graphics card. Not a problem, was looking for an excuse anyway, and may even make a few other changes. Just trying to minimize problems before they occur. I will probably not be ready for dealing with Windows 10 for a few weeks, so not in a hurry.

I just received the Windows 10 download. So, while Windows 10 is ready to install, I know there is an expected significant update in the next few days/weeks. Would prefer to install Windows 10 once the Service Pack is available.

Can I delete this download and then replace it with an updated copy before installing, or must I install this copy first and go through the update process? If I can delete and redownload an updated copy, what is the process?

Interestingly, have several optional downloads to Windows 7 on my computer available this morning. Good to know Windows 7 is still working well.

Thx

:)

HikerGuy, Aug 9, 2015
  2. cmbjab Win User

How can I delete Windows 10 entirely and re-install Windows 7 from the original installation disk?

Since Windows 10 will not recognize the DVD drive on the Inspiron 537s desktop, I cannot reload Windows 7 from my re-installation disk. I also have a Dell laptop Studio 15 Notebook running Windows 7. Is it possible for me to connect the laptop to the
    desktop via USB and use the laptop DVD drive to read the desktop installation disk?

cmbjab, Aug 9, 2015
  3. How can I delete Windows 10 entirely and re-install Windows 7 from the original installation disk?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced. You can follow the below mentioned steps to install Windows 7 on your PC.

• Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

• Press a key when the message
      Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically

• During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or
        DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.

• Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled
        Boot Order, Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.

• Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in
        the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

• Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove
        any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

• On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click
      I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

• On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click
      Custom

• Choose the partition containing Windows 10 (this is often the computer's
      C drive), and then click Next. (Do not select your external USB hard drive.)

• You will receive the following warning: The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in
      Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.

• So even doing a custom install, your personal files are still preserved. It is still recommended you do a manual backup, because you might explicitly format the drive during setup which will delete all information on the drive. Click
      OK

• Setup will now start the installation. During the installation, your machine will be restarted several times.

• Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account. You can use the same names that you used in Windows Vista, or choose new ones.
    Once you done with installation, ensure to check for Windows Updates. Also install all drivers for your device from Manufacturer website to make your PC up and running.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download?

You have to let it upgrade your computer. The Service pack is more of a rollup and unlike the Insider upgrades will not contain the entire OS.

FuturDreamz, Aug 9, 2015
  5. HikerGuy Win User
    Thx! I may end up doing a clean install after downloading everything, but that is a question for another day.

HikerGuy, Aug 9, 2015
  6. No need to delete it. Just let it sit there unused while you go about upgrading your PC.

By the time you want to upgrade to Windows 10 it will probably have changed itself.
    If it hasn't it will download and install the new updates at the same time as you upgrade.

The upgrade will be a one time thing... at least till the next fixes and downloads come along.
    You won't be installing Windows 10 and then installing updates.
    The upgrade will be one (long) process.

Actually, this is what happens now. The upgrade process checks for any updates and downloads them to use during your upgrade.

teachermark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download?

1. Windows 10 download - can I delete and re-download? - Similar Threads - download delete download

2. How to re-download deleted photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-download deleted photos: Hi,I recently downloaded photos from an iphone using the Photos App in Windows 11. About one hundred of the photos did not download properly only partially show the photo due to an unknown error, so I deleted them from the Photos app one-by-one. Now I would like to...
  3. How to re-download deleted photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-download deleted photos: Hi,I recently downloaded photos from an iphone using the Photos App in Windows 11. About one hundred of the photos did not download properly only partially show the photo due to an unknown error, so I deleted them from the Photos app one-by-one. Now I would like to...
  4. I can't re-download a game after deleting it Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't re-download a game after deleting it Windows 10: After performing a complete reset on my PC, a game called Rocket League was still present but unable to run on my desktop. It was able to run before, but now after numerous attempts at trying to install the game again, I get the same error message telling me to re-install the...
  5. Windows 10 re download

Windows 10 re download: Is there a way of transitioning the windows 10 operating system from an existing boot drive to a new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-re-download/a69d1c4f-bb0f-4062-8f57-0267e64cddc0
  6. Can I re-download Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I re-download Windows 10?: Can I re-download Windows 10 after I take my computer back to manufacturer settings (due to Trojan Horse and glitchy computer)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-re-download-windows-10/6f20ad6f-f020-4449-b8f0-7ee2c9ac980c"
  7. Re download windows 10 apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re download windows 10 apps: Hi How do I redownload windows 10 pro apps that I purchased from the store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-download-windows-10-apps/329d8073-01f1-4d91-ac78-08cd9f5b78f8
  8. Minecraft windows 10 re-download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft windows 10 re-download: I had originally obtained Minecraft windows 10 through the free promotion they were doing to owners of the original Java edition of Minecraft. Several years, and computers later and here I am now, searching for my copy of Minecraft and seeing a buy button where I expected a...
  9. Windows 10 Re-download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Re-download: The Windows 10 on my PC has recently been corrupted, and I was wondering if I need to get a windows 10 license to re-install it, since the PC already had windows 10 on it. If any more info is needed feel free to ask. Any reply is appreciated....
  10. Have I to re-download Windows 10?

Have I to re-download Windows 10?: After upgrading to Windows 10, the same day I went back to Windows 7 because internet connection was impossible to setup. To reinstall Windows upgrade, have I to re-download the 3 GB havy update, or is there a way to reinstall the download done the first time? 16146

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can i delete a download and redownload