Windows 10: Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

Discus and support Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I was downloading a string of picture files from a site, one at a time, I USED to get an overwrite file with same name warning. Now it just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JHT123, Aug 9, 2020.

1. JHT123 Win User

Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

If I was downloading a string of picture files from a site, one at a time, I USED to get an overwrite file with same name warning. Now it just automatically downloads the new file with the same name with a number added to differentiate. Problem is, I wind up with a bajillion of the same files on my PC! I, and many I have talked to, LOVED the warning because it communicated to us "Hey, you have already downloaded this one".

Is there a setting to ask for overwrite warning, instead of just deciding I want 2 of the same and adding a number?

:)

JHT123, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Aug 9, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

How to remove duplicate files in Windows 10.

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to see a list of duplicate files and select those I want to eliminate. Does the program you suggested compare file content or do they simply point out duplicate
    file names?

SteveWahlstrom, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

1. Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names - Similar Threads - Downloading Files duplicate

2. Duplicate files in Windows 10 !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate files in Windows 10 !: Hi, this question must have been asked many times! How to find and remove duplicate files safely in Windows 10! Ideally a program that actually finds and removes these files automatically would be ideal, but is there one that someone would recommend? I have run the "search...
  3. Duplicate files in Windows 10 !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate files in Windows 10 !: Hi, this question must have been asked many times! How to find and remove duplicate files safely in Windows 10! Ideally a program that actually finds and removes these files automatically would be ideal, but is there one that someone would recommend? I have run the "search...
  4. Duplicate files in Windows 10 !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download: When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created at the bottom of the top directory listing when I download the next file. I then have to either save to the phantom new directory, or scroll to the real...
  6. How does Windows name duplicate files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How does Windows name duplicate files?: Suppose there is file named file.txt, and I copy it and paste it in the same folder. What will be the new file's name? What will be the names of the files created by pasting multiple times? Will the first copy be file.txt (copy), file.txt (1) or file(1).txt? Will the second...
  7. Russian file names in downloaded files

Russian file names in downloaded files: Hi, I'm having a problem with downloaded files with names in Russian, looks like downloaded files do not support Russian language example of downloaded file name ÂÊ ÊÒ-2 è ÀÏ. It's same fore Edge and Chrome Device Surface Pro 7[ATTACH] example of what file name meant to be...
  8. Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name

Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name: This was sort of asked before, but the discussion closed by administration without an answer being found: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odedit/onedrive-creates-duplicate-file-name-with-pc-name/18f1fd5c-b217-49ee-8552-fa118a25bf1e?page=1. I use...
  9. Windows 10 Duplicating Files

Windows 10 Duplicating Files: Hi, When trying to delete multiple files in explorer, they are duplicating themselves instead. How to make this stop, please? Thanks, Jennifer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-duplicating-files/828cd5f4-7b8d-435c-8be1-550fdf4a931b"
  10. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...