Windows 10: Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10

Discus and support Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old C drive is dead to the world. I made a new Recovery USB on a 32G USB key after each 'new' version of Windows 10 was released. I have an unused... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sanza, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Sanza Win User

Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10

My old C drive is dead to the world. I made a new Recovery USB on a 32G USB key after each 'new' version of Windows 10 was released. I have an unused 256G SSD that I've formatted and primed (formatted GPT) for a new WIN10 installation but when I boot the USB key and click RESTORE (there is no INSTALL option) it tells me that the target drive is too small which is odd because, wow, that's some heavy duty compression going on if it's true.

Searching online tells me I have to INSTALL the OS (not restore it) and that my problem stems from the fact that I don't have Windows on the SSD drive already. So then, where do I get a Windows 10 install .iso and better yet, how do I register it? Will Microsoft recognize my old Windows 7 product number as my upgrade path to Windows 10 (yes I freely upgraded from 7 to 10 as soon it was released)? Should I install Windows 7 on the SSD and then boot from the USB key? Are there other options for me or am I out of luck? Thanks.

:)

Sanza, Jul 25, 2019

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 25, 2019
  4. pigulici Win User

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Yes, still work, no need to call, just be sure to have internet access when you start to install 10, I work at pc shop and did this few days ago, used a key of 7 to put clean 10(wasn't used for upgrade).

pigulici, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10 - Similar Threads - drive died reinstall

2. I want to reinstall windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to reinstall windows 10: My computer used to have Windows 10 and I still have the activation code. I currently use Windows 11 and I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows without keeping any of my current files. If I reinstall Windows 11 from the Microsoft site, will I be able to use that activation...
  3. Windows 10 sucks, want windows 7 back.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sucks, want windows 7 back.: Why are we stuck with the crappiest OS microsoft has ever made? Ever since i put win10 on my desktop, i have nothing but issues. Today, i added a hard drive, and switched where win10 was connected to due to necessity, and now it wont boot, wont boot into safe mode, and wont...
  4. Window 7 to Windows 10 to Windows 7 want to go back to 10 again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 7 to Windows 10 to Windows 7 want to go back to 10 again: Greetings. I went from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 by invitation download when it was offered by Microsoft a long time ago had it for a long time and liked it very much. I was cruising very well with 10. I was having trouble with my printer (Dell V515w) and found out that...
  5. Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?

Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?: I had a Windows 7 OS that was automatically updated a long time ago to Windows 10. I had been using the machine for years, but just the other day the hard drive appears to have died. I am not sure if there's a way to use Windows 10 on that same machine now. I am purchasing a...
  6. I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died: hey everyone. I think I'm getting ready to embark on my first virtualization. I had a laptop running windows 7 (upgraded from windows vista) and it died. So I put the hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my new laptop running windows 10. I've heard that if i...
  7. Had Windows 10, hard drive died, got Linux, want to go back to Windows 10.

Had Windows 10, hard drive died, got Linux, want to go back to Windows 10.: Like it says in the subject, how do I go back to Windows 10 after putting Linux in? I want to erase the OS. Thank you, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/had-windows-10-hard-drive-died-got-linux-want-to/42bfd975-1c31-4762-b2b0-d5c67b7cff15
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 after ssd died

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Windows 10 after ssd died: Hello, My ssd died last week. My new one will arrive tomorrow. But I don't know how i can recover my windows 10. It was a windows 7 upgrade to 10. (And I can't find the windows 7 key ..) I never linked my windows license to an outlook account i think, so I don't know...
  9. Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10

Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10: *Rolleyes This concerns this Activation error So perhaps I should have waited to see if it would have activated. Long story short.... win 7 (Home premium)was upgraded to win10.. win10 was activated... did a clean install of win10 with a disk i had created from...
  10. Went from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 now want to go back to 7 and then to 10

Went from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 now want to go back to 7 and then to 10: Ok first of all this might not make much sense to many of you but here's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to go back to the original windows from when I purchased my pc. I puchased a window 7 home predium pc with a 500GB hard driv eand now most of ths hard drive is...