Windows 10: Windows 10 - drive letters not available

Discus and support Windows 10 - drive letters not available in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sjoerd-Jaap Westra, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Windows 10 - drive letters not available

Hi,

I have the following odd situation...

Introduction:

I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10 Spring 2018).

The PC has one SSD and one HDD, I installed Windows 10 on the SSD. During the install I removed all existing partitions.

Odd situation:

After the clean install I wanted to assign drive letter D to the unallocated HDD partition within Disk Management, but drive letters D, E, F, G, H are not available within Disk Management. When I checked in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices these letters have been assigned already while no USB or other devices are connected. Within Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices I removed D, E, F, G, H because I was sure these should not be there. After a reboot I checked the registry and they were back?!?

Question:

Does anyone know why device D, E, F, G, H appear in the registry. I want to assign D to my HDD because that's my PC best practice: C for Windows and D for user data.

Thanks in advance,

SJW

:)

Sjoerd-Jaap Westra, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Drive Letters not available

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If the letter E is not available it may be because it’s being used by any other drives. we can see from the screenshot which you have provided that the E: drive is used by DVD/CD-ROM.

If you want to assign E to Another drive you may have to assign DVD drive to any other letter which will free up the Alphabet E.

Please follow the steps to change the drive letter:

1.Right click on the start button and select Disk management.

2.Right click on the drive which you want to rename and select change drive letter and paths.

3.select the drive from the list and press apply and ok.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Dec 7, 2018
  4. El-Bee Win User

Windows 10 - drive letters not available

Drive Letters not available

I just upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro and many of my drive letters were changed. I can't change them back using disck management because the letters I need are not available to select from. All of my applications point to a drive "D" and
    that letter is not available. Only letters available are: I, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, & V.

This needs to be fixed, I can't spend lots of time reconfiguring my programs and shortcuts to point to a new drive letter.

El-Bee, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - drive letters not available

1. Windows 10 - drive letters not available - Similar Threads - drive letters available

2. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  3. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  4. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  5. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter: Windows just refuses to assign a drive letter to my external Nvme m2 pcie drive . It can see the drive but incorrectly reports the size as 2TB when it is actually 1Tb then when opening the menus everything is greyed out. I opened the drive in a number of partition programs...
  6. Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space: Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10...
  7. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  8. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  9. Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available: Hi I have a strange problem. I have some harddrives on a "server" computer in my homenetwork running win 7. From my "client" running windows 10 I am mounting these drives using psexec \\server -u username -p password -d net share F=F:\ /GRANT:user,Full...
  10. Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Remove a Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 drive letter not available

2. wind 10 drive leter not available

3. windows d drive letter not available

4. windows 10 drive letters not available,
  5. win 10 1903 missing drive letters,
  6. mountable drive letter not available,
  7. windows 10 free drive letters,
  8. drive letter not available,
  9. drive letter d not availablewindows 10