Windows 10: Windows 10 drive letters out of sync

Discus and support Windows 10 drive letters out of sync in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How/when/why can Windows 10 drive letters be out of sync? I have a network drive that is assigned drive letter Z, that assigning is done in command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KilpAr, Oct 20, 2020.

1. KilpAr Win User

Windows 10 drive letters out of sync

How/when/why can Windows 10 drive letters be out of sync?

I have a network drive that is assigned drive letter Z, that assigning is done in command line using "net use" command. I can access the drive Z after that from command line without any problems. But when I try to access drive Z from the Windows File Explorer, I can't get there, I get error "Windows can't find 'Z:'. Check the spelling and try again." I have not rebooted anything in between these tries.

So how, when and why does that happen?

Windows 10 drive letters out of sync [​IMG]

:)

KilpAr, Oct 20, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 20, 2020
  3. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 drive letters out of sync - Similar Threads - drive letters sync

2. Does BIOS detect drives with out a letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does BIOS detect drives with out a letter: hello and sorry if this the wrong group as I'm new to this stuff, I have a USB that has 2 portions. I use 1 as a general storage and the other one for a Linux I use. I wanted to know if its possible to not assign a letter for the Linux portion in disc manager and for bios to...
  3. Windows 10 drive letters out of sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 drive letters out of sync: How/when/why can Windows 10 drive letters be out of sync? I have a network drive that is assigned drive letter Z, that assigning is done in command line using "net use" command. I can access the drive Z after that from command line without any problems. But when I try to...
  4. Windows 10 drive letters out of sync

Windows 10 drive letters out of sync: How/when/why can Windows 10 drive letters be out of sync? I have a network drive that is assigned drive letter Z, that assigning is done in command line using "net use" command. I can access the drive Z after that from command line without any problems. But when I try to...
  5. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  6. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter

Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter: Windows just refuses to assign a drive letter to my external Nvme m2 pcie drive . It can see the drive but incorrectly reports the size as 2TB when it is actually 1Tb then when opening the menus everything is greyed out. I opened the drive in a number of partition programs...
  7. windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive

windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive: I upgraded my computer a LOT. AMD Threadripper 1950x with msi x399 board. 16g memory. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 NEW PROBLEM My E: drive, an old 1T Seagate has a twin drive, F:, showing in My Computer. It is ALMOST exactly the same as the E:. FreeFileSync shows just a few...
  8. Programs out of sync (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs out of sync (Windows 10): Hello, I actually can't describe the problem (thoroughly) I am having but whenever I am using my chrome (watching youtube, or scrolling down randomly), my browser's usually not responding as if a new program was opened (which there isn't any). I am not clicking using my...
  9. Windows 10 - drive letters not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - drive letters not available: Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10...
  10. Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Remove a Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z...