Windows 10: Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it.

Discus and support Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, This issue is similar to this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alexandru.Ghioroae, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it.

Hello,

This issue is similar to this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-is-dropping-my-ssd-drive-d/98d4fe8b-689f-4ac6-ada0-3f602bb6b5aa

In my case, I have 2 of the same drivers. 2 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. One is partition C:/, the other partition E:/. When writing on E:/, like installing a program or a game, it sometimes freezes everything and sometimes the partition just drops and the drive is not present anywhere. I have to restart my system to get it to see it again, I've changed my cables thinking that may be the problem...but it didn't work. All SSD health check software says that the driver is fine...what else is there to do to get to the bottom of it? Or are there any solutions?

:)

Alexandru.Ghioroae, Aug 17, 2018
  2. John582n Win User

Windows 10 Update and random crashes SSD drive

What brand of SSD do you have? I suggest checking with the computer/SSD manufacturer's web site to see if there is a firmware update for it.

You could also try turning of Write caching on the SSD

Right click on Start > Device manager, click the arrow next to Disk drives
    to see a list of your drives. Right click on the SSD, choose Properties

In the Policies tab, untick the box Enable write caching on the device, click OK

John582n, Aug 17, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 17, 2018
  4. RLRehm Win User

Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it.

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it.

1. Windows 10 dropping an entire SSD drive when writing to it. - Similar Threads - dropping entire SSD

2. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  3. SSD 100% active but not writing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD 100% active but not writing: Hi,SSD 100% active but not writing causing system to hangHave looked around and looks like AHCI control was the cause of this problem however, have followed reccomendations on adding AHCI option to power management and changing the settings with no success. The sytem still...
  4. Total system writes on a SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Total system writes on a SSD boot drive: I recently got a m.2 SSD as boot drive. While going through its SSD's toolkit recommended by the manufacturer, I noticed that atleast 1GB of data gets written on every boot sometimes 2 or 5. I checked the resources monitor, it showed the system that is doing all the writing....
  5. Is there a way to make Windows 10 write thumbnails for an entire drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to make Windows 10 write thumbnails for an entire drive?: I have a large video library on a NAS device mounted in Windows 10. Viewing directories for the first time takes a while as Explorer writes the thumbnails for the video. Is there a way to make Windows write thumbnails in advance? submitted by /u/dendriti [link] [comments]...
  6. windows10 crashes when writing to external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows10 crashes when writing to external drive: As a result of MS latest update, my laptop will crash blue screen when attempting to write a USB external drive. tried a new external drive different USB slots same result. problem clears after rolling back to the previous release. process of elimination clearly ponts to MS...
  7. Copying entire drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying entire drive.: I want to move my entire drive including windows 10 operating system to a new larger disk I installed,how to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-entire-drive/b555f5a3-9d07-47f2-b8b5-d28c9abb411f
  8. Slow SSD Write Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  9. Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?: I don't mean after you encrypt the drive. I'm talking about actually encrypting a blank ssd, does the drive see that as writing to the cells in the drive, and count that to the number of total writes? 142058
  10. Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10: Hi, I read the tutorial on how to disable write caching. But, when I shut down and later turn on my PC and check the policy tab for my Samsung SSD C: drive the caching box is checked again. Also I turned off "RAPID" on the SSD. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...