Windows 10: Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS

Discus and support Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu on an SSD, but I recently wanted more storage space so I cloned the partitions onto another disk with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Liftyee, May 13, 2020.

1. Liftyee Win User

Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS

I have Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu on an SSD, but I recently wanted more storage space so I cloned the partitions onto another disk with Clonezilla. After installing the new disk, Ubuntu works fine but when I try to boot Windows it blue screens with an error "Boot device unreachable". So I select 'Repair Windows' to try and fix it, but it 'couldn't fix the problem'. After this I choose the shut down option, but then my PC refuses to boot again. The fans spin up and it might boot onto the motherboard screen, but the usual menu keys don't work. Then it turns off abruptly after about 5 seconds, and repeats the whole process. The only was I got it to work again is to force it to use the backup BIOS I have a dual BIOS motherboard and then it says, 'Main BIOS corrupted' and restores the BIOS, after which it boots into Ubuntu again.

Every time I try to repair Windows, whether with the installation USB or in the installed version, it corrupts the BIOS. Why would this happen? Can I recover the Windows installed on the PC, or do I have to reinstall Windows?

Thanks.

:)

Liftyee, May 13, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Dual Boot?

Hello lostsoul65, Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS :)

You could purchase Windows 10 online or at any brick and mortar retail store.

I would recommend to install Windows 10 without UEFI and with "Legacy and BIOS" for your current setup. The tutorial below can give you more step by step details on how to do this.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html

Brink, May 13, 2020
  3. Dual boot problem

Hi all.

I have an older PC that used to run XP. I upgraded it to Win 7 and have now upgraded to Win 10. I now want to make it a dual boot Win 10 system, using the second drive as a disaster recovery backup.

When I set up the dual boot Win XP / Win 7, the system put system boot files on the XP disk. Now I can't boot into Win 10 with that disk off line, nor can I format the XP disk to install Win 10 as it has running system files on it.

I have created a recovery USB flash drive but even after setting the boot devices in BIOS to boot from USB, it will not boot from the recovery disk. My next step is to create a recovery CD to see if that will work.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Steve

Photoman9876, May 13, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, May 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS - Similar Threads - dual boot recovery

2. Repair Windows 10 recovery partition on dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Windows 10 recovery partition on dual boot: I have a dual boot setup, Windows 10 and a Linux distro. There aren't any problems with either OS but my Windows doesn't seem to have a recovery partition. I need to access the command prompt from ASO but ASO only has "Turn off your PC" option.reagentc /info returns:Windows...
  3. Repair Windows 10 recovery partition on dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair Windows 10 recovery partition on dual boot: I have a dual boot setup, Windows 10 and a Linux distro. There aren't any problems with either OS but my Windows doesn't seem to have a recovery partition. I need to access the command prompt from ASO but ASO only has "Turn off your PC" option.reagentc /info returns:Windows...
  4. Repair Windows 10 recovery partition on dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dual boot windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot windows 10: Hi,I have windows 10 dual boot now running with windows 7.I want to start a 3rd dual boot entry. This will be a clean install of windows 10 on the same computer on a different HD. So I will have 2 versions of windows 10.I then want to slowly migrate to this new clean install....
  6. Need to Reset Windows 10 Dual Boot (no recovery environement found)

Need to Reset Windows 10 Dual Boot (no recovery environement found): I had a dual boot configuration on my old X58 platform. The setup was an up to date Windows 10 partition and a Windows 1809 partion. Both OS's were on the same SSD which had the same system reserved boot partion as a result I have now moved to a new Z490 platform and cloned...
  7. Windows dual boot recovery

Windows dual boot recovery: After formatting the disk which had ubuntu from the dual boot which I did before When switching on my hp laptop the screen shows: "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word,TAB lists pissible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device...
  8. Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update

Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update: I have a very annoying situation: I am runnig my laptop (Acer Aspire E 15) as a dual boot with Ubuntu (Linux) and Windows 10. To do this I had to change the BIOS settings: 1. Enable the BIOS bootmenu "F12" 2. Adress a safe boot option (in my case the Ubuntu partition) and...
  9. Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues

Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues: I dual boot to 2 different windows 7 installs. I have my primary for day to day stuff and the second install is for my DAW. I don't want to update the DAW to 10 because of the issues it may cause. I do want to update my primary install to 10. Can this be done or will I run...
  10. after win 7/10 dual boot setup, computer now bricked?

in Windows 10 Support
    after win 7/10 dual boot setup, computer now bricked?: I have a 3 1/2 year old HP business desktop with windows 7 pro on it. I finally bit the bullet today and decided to dual boot with win 10 pro. It went without a hitch. I created a 40gb partition on the hard drive and installed it to that. On initial boot up of win 10, then i...