Windows 10: Windows 10 Dual Boot - Scan Disk Corrupts OP and Startup

Discus and support Windows 10 Dual Boot - Scan Disk Corrupts OP and Startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Iv been trying to understand what has been causing Boot Failing and Corruption on both windows 10 OP systems. I have 2 windows 10 pros with different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DaveLabb, Oct 17, 2018.

1. DaveLabb Win User

Windows 10 Dual Boot - Scan Disk Corrupts OP and Startup

Iv been trying to understand what has been causing Boot Failing and Corruption on both windows 10 OP systems. I have 2 windows 10 pros with different keys installed on different ssd drives. I have work pc and a games pc set up however on booting from one OP System to the other can cause windows 10 to scan disks and if it does this it can corrupt either of the start ups and then i have to reinstall the whole pc from an image. Can you suggest anything that could help.... I have tried various things found posted here like change from fast boot, stop win10 scanning with 'chkntfs' command etc but no joy. What causes windows to scan disk? I have used both Seatools and Samsung to scan the hard drives an they both come back all good. Both PCs are fine when running its only on shutting the systems down and booting into the other.

Any help appreciated cheers!

:)

DaveLabb, Oct 17, 2018
  2. Wingo101 Win User

Windows Vista Startup Problem ( Dual Boot)

I've got a dual boot set up on my computer, with Windows XP Professional 32bit & Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I haven't booted into Vista for quite some time now because I get better performance from XP. But now, if I try to boot into Vista, it goes through until after the Welcome screen & just gets stuck on a black screen with the pointer showing.

I have tried repairing the startup using the Vista CD.

Any suggestions?

Wingo101, Oct 17, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Dual Boot - Scan Disk Corrupts OP and Startup - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Scan

2. Dual boot corrupts windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual boot corrupts windows: After i dual booted my computer with Windows 10 and Windows 7, every time I try to boot up to windows 10, it bluescreens and gives me the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO". When windows 7 was fresh, my windows 10 worked absolutely fine, but after i installed drivers for windows...
  3. Dual Op Systems on separate drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual Op Systems on separate drives: Hello everyone, So I'm new to the whole computer game and a little naive when it comes to it. I recently installed a new SSD to replace my old one and in doing so my pc recognized my two SSD's but no longer can find my HDD. After giving up on that problem, I had a great...
  4. Disk check on startup with dual-boot to Linux

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk check on startup with dual-boot to Linux: Is it normal for Windows to show a disk checking prompt on startup with two operating systems installed on the same drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-check-on-startup-with-dual-boot-to-linux/d2db2b1f-5216-40ea-bd13-bf035b234df6
  5. windows 10 boot disk startup freezes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 boot disk startup freezes: created iso windows 10 but freezes during startup..usb boot does the same..freezes at blue screen with dots freezing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-boot-disk-startup-freezes/8d436d54-86a5-4f12-ad51-d6eebca9c53c"
  6. Windows Disk Checking On Dual-Boot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Checking On Dual-Boot?: Currently I have Windows 10 (1803) and Ubuntu 18.04 dual-booted onto my laptop. Everything seems to work fine except sometimes when i boot into windows, it starts disk checking and then i press a key to skip disk checking. My question is if i dont press a key and it starts...
  7. Dual Boot System "Windows 10 on Volume ..." sequence is corrupt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot System "Windows 10 on Volume ..." sequence is corrupt: Hi I have a Windows 10 Dual Boot System. When I boot up, I get the options: Windows 10 on Volume 2 Windows 10 on Volume 4 These are separate physical disks. The former (volume 2) is the default and is booting fine (touch wood). But right now, the install on volume 4...
  8. Unable to boot into Windows - Disk Corrupted

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot into Windows - Disk Corrupted: I have a DELL Inspiron 17R SE 7720. I was running Windows 10. A couple of weeks ago or so, I installed some Windows updates. Immediately after the update and subsequent restart, I noticed that my Disk usage started to fluctuate wildly, spiking with considerable frequency to...
  9. Hard disk corruption with ten/seven dual boot

Hard disk corruption with ten/seven dual boot: I learned this the hard way: if you dual boot 7/10, turn off hybrid (fast) startup: How to instruct Windows 8 NOT to perform a fast shutdown? - Super User Otherwise it will corrupt your hard disks if you boot into the seven installation after shutting down from ten, as...
  10. Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options

Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options: When I first installed the Win 10 Preview, it set up a dual boot (actually triple boot, 3 OS's - Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10). One of the Win 10 updates corrupted it. I've tried to fix it by booting with all 3 OS install discs and running "bootrec.exe". Bootrec.exe...