Windows 10: Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

Discus and support Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 10 on my Dell desktop PC for many years. I recently installed a clean installation & of course have all the updates. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David P. Vancouver, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

I have been using Windows 10 on my Dell desktop PC for many years. I recently installed a clean installation & of course have all the updates. I have 2 monitors, my main Lenovo 24" 1920x1080 monitor display 2, and my 55" Samsung 4K HDTV configured 1920x1080 display 1,. When operating with a single display, the Lenovo #2 is the active display. It is the identical setup I had on my previous installation of Windows 10. Now when I switch to "Extend these displays" in Display Settings, all of my desktop icons appear on Display 1 Samsung TV, where on my previous installation of Windows, they remained on Display 2 Lenovo. In the "multiple displays" section of Display Settings, Display 2 has the checkbox "Make this my main display" checked, and it is greyed out. When I highlight Display 1 TV, that setting is available and it is unchecked. My single Taskbar remains on the Lenovo monitor 2, which is what I want.

I have looked in Advanced display settings, but cannot find a setting help. How do I get my desktop to stay on the Lenovo monitor 2?

:)

David P. Vancouver, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Cobra-CRU Win User

Dual display in main window for SLI/Crossfire

W1z,

First of all, I want to thank you for writing such an excellent tool.

After using it for few days, I would like to make a suggestion or two, if you agree that they would be useful.

Would it be possible to move the 'Use Device' list box to the main window, or even better, display the clock settings for both cards on the main window if SLI/Crossfire are enabled?

Also, adding the ability to save both cards clock/fan settings in a single profile would be a welcome addition so that both cards can be OC'ed on startup.

Thanks again!

Cobra-CRU, Aug 4, 2020
  3. aeneas1 Win User
    Intel Graphics and Windows Display Settings - Different Main Displays?

so my office dual monitor pc setup has been up and running for years, with the "main display" (#1) always showing on the correct monitor, regardless if the other display (extended #2) is on, off, or set to different resolutions, it's always been rock solid, i.e. main display (#1) content always displays on the main display (#1), while extended display content (extended #2) always shows on the second display.

unfortunately things aren't running quite as smoothly on my new dual monitor setup, the extended display (#2) will often take over the main display (#1), depending on if if the second display is on, off, or set to a new resolution.

i noticed that with my new setup the intel graphics settings are different than the windows display settings - if i make display #1 the "main display" in the windows display settings it shows as display #2 in the intel graphics settings, and when i make display #1 the "main display" in the intel graphics settings it shows as display #2 in the windows display settings, weird.

i also noticed that the intel graphics on my new setup has more options under display than my old setup, including multiple display options (no doubt the drivers are newer on my new setup given the newer integrated graphics chip).

so i'm wondering, do the intel graphics settings override the windows display settings? the more i play around with the settings it appears that the prob may not exist if i ignore the windows display settings and just use the intel graphics settings?

new intel graphics settings:

Windows 10 Dual Displays -  Keep my main display chrome-2019-02-22-05-30-48.png

old intel graphics settings:

Windows 10 Dual Displays -  Keep my main display Gfxv4-0-2019-02-22-05-31-10.png

aeneas1, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

Main Display Issue

Anyone come across this issue?
    Tagging @Kari in to add to the list of bugs found in Win10 if it is determined to be a bug.

I have 3 monitors, i always have the middle screen as my main display however today i noticed that the time/date and notifications area etc were now on my left display.

The below image shows that i have 3 screens, and that the middle one is my main display however the time/date doesn't move to it, it stays on the left display.

It's not a massive issue but my OCD is taking a massive beating Windows 10 Dual Displays -  Keep my main display :)

Windows 10 Dual Displays -  Keep my main display [​IMG]

-Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

1. Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display - Similar Threads - Dual Displays Keep

2. Dual Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Display: I am unable to have my personal laptop display properly on 2 displays, 34 inch ultrawide and 25 Inch ultrasharp. They are connected to a dell powered docking station capable of dual display with display port. If I unplug the second display, the ultrawide works just fine. When...
  3. Dual Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Display: I am unable to have my personal laptop display properly on 2 displays, 34 inch ultrawide and 25 Inch ultrasharp. They are connected to a dell powered docking station capable of dual display with display port. If I unplug the second display, the ultrawide works just fine. When...
  4. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?: My setup: PC is connected to a 22" monitor display 1 on a desk. Second monitor display 2 is a large screen television in the waiting room not visible from desk that runs an application that routes customers to specific service windows. Is there a way to see a small windowed...
  5. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?: My setup: PC is connected to a 22" monitor display 1 on a desk. Second monitor display 2 is a large screen television in the waiting room not visible from desk that runs an application that routes customers to specific service windows. Is there a way to see a small windowed...
  6. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display: Whenever I open a new instance of File Explorer, it always opens up on my Left monitor which is not set as Main Display. I have tried dragging it over to my main monitor and closing it hoping that the new instance would remember the old one's position and re-open right there...
  8. Dual Displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Displays: Hi... I'm setting up dual displays 1 regular ViewSonic computer monitor -VGA connection / 1 BenQ TV screen - HDMI connection. My trouble is getting the screen resolution sizes to work for both screens. The best I've got so far is the setting for "Duplicate These Displays" /...
  9. Windows greyed out "Make this my main display" with dual monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows greyed out "Make this my main display" with dual monitors: Hello, I just started using dual monitors, but Windows reads my main display as Monitor 2 and my weaker one as Monitor 1. The option to make number 2 to my main display is greyed out, even with the monitor selected up top. It should be noted that I'm not using the actual copy...
  10. Dual displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual displays: My dual screens have suddenly stopped being separate and now the same images are on both screens. ow do I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-displays/53908532-4825-4de0-8c59-cd151be887fe