Windows 10: Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation

Discus and support Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Last week at CES we were excited to see Windows 10 devices from many of our partners, including Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, and Toshiba... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation

Source: Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation | Windows Experience Blog

See also: Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10 | ZDNet

Brink, Jan 14, 2016
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

Maybe if they continue powdering each other with gold dust, Win10 will become an operating system.

:)

3. srfreeman Win User
    srfreeman, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation

Kosh Vorlon, Jan 14, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    I await the day when you post something positive in this forum, though on this particular thread I agree.
    They have glossed over the fact that Skylake processors have been having problems.
    Though lets admit M$ do not manufacture them.

dencal, Jan 14, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    I am always positive - when there is something positive to say.

7. BunnyJ New Member
    Yup... it's a new generation processor and that's an Intel problem.

And I bet they're working on it and the issues will be fixed asap. But otherwise WIn10 is a nice OS and works just fine for many.

BunnyJ, Jan 15, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation

Found this lined at the Windows 7 forum, but it seems more pertinent here:

Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10 | ZDNet

Jody Thornton, Jan 15, 2016
  9. One way to read the article is that old silicon will be supported for a long, long time.

My oldest computer is from 2007. It has been upgraded to Windows 8.1 that will be supported until 2023. That's 16 years! Of course it is not a gaming rig (I don't game anyway) but it is a very stable OS/machine for web, email, a bit of cloud computing, etc. It is in fact so stable and trouble-free that I don't have the heart to further upgrade it to the newish Windows 10.

My next oldest computer is from 2008. It has been upgraded to Windows 10. It will be supported until the hardware dies, which is perhaps longer than 16 years!

Of course I have newer computers too, but I am amazed at how long silicon lives.

FrozenCursor, Jan 15, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Hard to believe that Windows 7 is just 4 years from end of life!

11. BunnyJ New Member
    In this case the use of an current OS is needed to get the most out of the most up to date processor. You can't expect to use say, Xp, and get the same performance out of the new processors as you would with 10.

Would you?? No.. that will never happen.

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  12. waltc Win User
    The only people complaining are the people are the people who claim they loathe Win10 anyway...Folks on Win7/8 still have another 6+ months to get their free upgrade to Win10. If they don't want it it's fine by me, but it's been known for some time that from now on all of Microsoft's R&D is going to Win10. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a new cpu AFAIK.

waltc, Jan 16, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Yes and that covers it nicely.

BunnyJ, Jan 16, 2016
  14. EDIT: @ Jody Thornton ( I thought I quoted you but I guess I didn't) This post was in response to the link you posted. I figured I better do an edit or what I said below would just confuse things.

Not surprising really. The older operating systems just don't have the code to make use of the new features backed into the new processors. And Microsoft isn't going to spend any time trying to add the new code to older operating systems. It's not really in their best interest. Most of those staying on Windows 7 etc are likely running it on older hardware anyway. No big deal IMHO.

alphanumeric, Jan 16, 2016
  15. Winuser Win User
    *Thumbs IMHO if I'm going to upgrade to a modern system I'm going to include the OS in the package. All my computers including my Windows phone is running Win 10. There are a few things I could do without in Win 10 but I'm not going back to older OS because of it. *Smile

edit: (wanted to add) If for some unforeseen circumstances I did have to drop back to a older OS it would be Win 8.1.

Winuser, Jan 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation - Similar Threads - Embracing Silicon Innovation

2. Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11: I have a Silicon Power A80 1TB external hard drive but am unable to get my new laptop running Windows 11 Home to recognize it. I have tried the tools available from Silicon Power but they report back that the device is not found. I am using a USB 3.0 adaptor since the A80 has...
  3. Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11: I have a Silicon Power A80 1TB external hard drive but am unable to get my new laptop running Windows 11 Home to recognize it. I have tried the tools available from Silicon Power but they report back that the device is not found. I am using a USB 3.0 adaptor since the A80 has...
  4. Microsoft Innovation Portal

Microsoft Innovation Portal: I have been using MS operating system and I have used MS website for various reasons several times a day. But the company do not have a dedicated innovation portal where we can share our thoughts and ideas for Microsoft products and can also commit many other thongs for the...
  5. Development of innovative Software

Development of innovative Software: My name is G.P and I’m a civil engineer. Over many years of heavy involvement in the Construction Industry and large scale Civil Engineering Projects both in Greece and abroad and the vast experience accumulated thereof, it was rendered possible to elaborate and develop such...
  6. Accelerating innovation in Windows 10 to meet customers where they are

in Windows 10 News
    Accelerating innovation in Windows 10 to meet customers where they are: Three months ago, I took on the role of leading Windows and Devices. What excited me about this was the opportunity to bring together our incredible teams to work on a product that a billion people all over the world rely on every day to work, learn, create and have fun....
  7. Cybersecurity innovation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cybersecurity innovation: Say you have an idea in cybersecurity, you want to patent it and then license/sell it to some big biz; who would you try to hook up with: Microsoft, Google, Amazon, FB, RSA? What would be your top 3 choices and why?...
  8. Microsoft to continue to innovate the computers with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to continue to innovate the computers with Windows 10: Earlier this year, Microsoft announced that there will be a major reorganization at Microsoft. One of the things that we understood from the reorganization at Microsoft was that the company is moving away from a consumer focussed company to an enterprise focussed company. It...
  9. Windows 10 and Azure Active Directory: Embracing the Cloud

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 and Azure Active Directory: Embracing the Cloud: When we talked about new Windows 10 manageability choices back in November, we announced new capabilities that will enable Windows 10 to leverage Azure Active Directory. Since these capabilities are now starting to appear in the Windows 10 preview builds, this is a great time...
  10. Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows: Earlier this year, we shared information about Windows 10 embracing silicon innovation and our work with partners to achieve breakthroughs in performance, imaging, connectivity, power, graphics, and more as the Windows platform evolves with them. At the time, we shared our...