Windows 10: Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade

Discus and support Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Mother Intel with G41 chipset (ICH7 ide controller). Stuck on IDE mode. Tried to reset storeAHCI, iaStorV as per various sites:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by isidroco, May 30, 2019.

1. isidroco Win User

Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade

Mother Intel with G41 chipset (ICH7 ide controller). Stuck on IDE mode.

Tried to reset storeAHCI, iaStorV as per various sites:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-can-i-make-

ide-to-ahci-in-windows-8/d2cbad22-6306-4764-984a-cea5e97b8d11

Also Safe mode minimal boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2795397/inaccessible-boot-device-error-message-after-you-install-a-third-party

And automatic repair using ISO also fails as suggested here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-error-inaccessiblebootdevice/7cb916d3-8c83-43a2-865a-edd0b92482f8

Still INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE on boot, so I'm still stuck and can't upgrade to a newer mobo without IDE mode because of that. Any ideas?

:)

isidroco, May 30, 2019
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Windows Will Not Boot After Trying To Change To AHCI Mode

I have looked at the How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8 After Installation link you provided.

[By the way, after you paste in a web address press the spacebar and it will turn into a hyperlink so people can get to where you are pointing -

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/
    ]

All their methods were about steps to take in Windows 8 Registry before changing the BIOS. They were not an alternative to the BIOS. If you have no such setting in your BIOS then you cannot use AHCI. All BIOSes differ but here is a sample AHCI entry to
    help you check for anything similar -

Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade 8a967d2a-8dc3-4201-85ac-ceefe8dfb974.jpg

• I think you should leave any fiddling with AHCI now and focus on getting the system in working condition first though.
    • If SFC & DISM did not help you resolve this problem then I suggest that you restore your system image again.
    • If you no longer have it then make an
      installation USB
      and run a
      Repair install [also called an InPlace upgrade]

Once you have a working system again & only if you have a ACHI setting in your BIOS -

• Make a new system image before any more experiments.
    • If you do find an AHCI setting in your BIOS then you could try just changing it and seeing if the system still works. Another user did just that and found that it all continued working without anything else having to be done.
    • And if it doesn't work for your computer then you could
      either go back to the BIOS, reset it then give up the idea or do a clean installation with AHCI set and see if that works.

Denis

Tryx3, May 30, 2019
  3. KubekVF Win User
    Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

I was able to change it now (I also had some issues with NICs so I decided to reinstall my PC but I wanted to keep my files, programs, settings .... ). Here is how:

• Lunch application "setup.exe" from path "c:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\" (simply running upgrade to 10 again, but this time from windows 10)
    • After first reboot, change SATA mode to AHCI and let Windows finish upgrade
    • Everything should be fine now
    I am now running my disks in AHCI mode now and even don't have (so far) issues I had before.

KubekVF, May 30, 2019
  4. Melvis Win User

Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade

Changing IDE to AHCI Mode

Hi guys, I thought i might put this up for people that also might have missed this setting to get AHCI mode working on your motherboard.

A mate of mine decided to look into it and found a Windows Vista/7 fix so you can enable AHCI mode in your BIOS without the system blue screening, like it does for most computers that are already set on IDE mode.

Now most of you guys might already knows this but I didn't and all my computers where set on IDE mode and when I would change it to AHCI it would just crash when booting so I just thought oh well it don't work and never bothered with it again. But it seems if you set AHCI mode BEFORE installing Windows you wont have this issue, but if you did not set it before then running this Fix will fix your problem *Smile Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade :)

Ok run this Fix > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then go to your BIOS, change your settings from IDE mode to AHCI mode, save and exit, boot into Windows, it will then install all the drivers that you need for this Mode. Once its finished it will ask you to reboot, reboot and your done *Smile Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade :)

Made a big difference for me in boot times and file transfer times, everything sped up alot.

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 error - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to change to AHCI mode for mother upgrade - Similar Threads - error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying

2. how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci": my dell T3500 already installed win10 , but i want to install a redhat for dual boot,so i partition a large driver E in win10, I want to use it for redhat installing, during i installing redhat, dirver E cannot appear in install destination, so i check online, it say i should...
  3. Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: Hello I need help figuring out why desktop will not boot Power was turned off during upgrade Windows 10 will no longer boot No success with: Startup Repair System Restore System Image Recovery Command Prompt has X:, no C: Command wmic LOGICALDISK LIST BRIEF list D: &...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Inaccessible_boot_device after BIOS upgrade and reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro Inaccessible_boot_device after BIOS upgrade and reset: Hi all, after upgrading my computer BIOS from F6 to F8, my computer has been experiencing a BSOD called Inaccessible_boot_device. The only thing that fixed it back then was system restore. Curiously enough, I ran that system restore with no drives plugged in except my system...
  5. Upgrading a Mother board

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading a Mother board: I have a question regarding mother board upgrade, do i have to reinstall windows if i upgrade my mother board MSI b250m pro-vh to a motherboard that support 8th and 9th gen motherboard?...
  6. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  7. Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: Hi, My windows 10pc is displaying a blue screen with a stop code inaccessible boot device. I have made several attempts to start the pc in safe mode but it goes back to the blue screen again. I have tried to reset the pc and it goes to 100% but then goes back to the blue...
  8. How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop

How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop: How to change AHCI mode HP Laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/win-10/f884e5df-a7ff-4f8c-9d21-9409c8d85007
  9. Inaccessible_boot_device error after upgrade and restart

Inaccessible_boot_device error after upgrade and restart: Microsoft strikes again... *Mad Upgrade worked fine using the DVD .iso I downloaded, apart from taking 3 hours. Upon restart tonight, I got an endless Inaccessible_boot_device error loop. I was able to revert to Win 7 using the Advanced menu displayed when the boot...
  10. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Windows 10: First off, i accidently analyzed/optimized my SSD and i am fairly certain this was my mistake. i cannot start my computer: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE i cannot start in safe mode, i get the same problem. CHKDSK /F won't run i am trying to avoid formatting, at least not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. g41 ahci alternative