Windows 10: Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow

Discus and support Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About a month ago, I assembled a new desktop build. The ethernet was initially very slow, but installing the Realtek ethernet drivers fixed that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeorgeB_968, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow

About a month ago, I assembled a new desktop build. The ethernet was initially very slow, but installing the Realtek ethernet drivers fixed that.

About three weeks ago, I shut the computer off. I came back to it yesterday, and upon booting it up, the ethernet was extremely slow (connection should be 1Gbps, but speedtest showed <1Mbps). I tried a number of troubleshooting steps, but at one point I rebooted into safe mode, and the problem disappeared. I restarted my computer a few more times, and it still worked fine.

Today, the problem is back. However, now speedtest reports about 10 Mbps, though it's still far less than the speed I should be getting.

I have tried:

- Rebooting, many times

- Starting in safe mode with networking

- Verifying Windows updates are fully installed

- Uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet drivers, both via device manager and manually through the Realtek installers

- Installing an older version of the Realtek driver

- Updating video card drivers

- The commands at https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNuclearOptionResettingTheCrapOutOfYourNetworkAdaptersInVista.aspx

- Verifying Windows reports the speed as 1 Gbps

- System restore to before I first powered off my computer

- Trying the ethernet cable/port on a different computer (it works with the other computer)

- Using Windows to reset my network settings

- Trying both public and private network settings

- Disabling large send offload for ipv4/ipv6

- Virus scanning with Malwarebytes

- Disabling Malwarebytes

- Windows Defender is disabled

- Disabling firewall via command prompt

- Checking event viewer - no suspicious messages

- Checking network usage - programs consistently show < 0.1 Mpbs in task manager, no active windows update downloads

At this point I am at a complete loss for what else to try. I am in a dorm so I can't directly access the router. My motherboard is an ASUS PRIME B450M-A.

:)

GeorgeB_968, Jan 10, 2019

2. Jumplist sometimes extremely slow

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 recently.

Only after a few days, the jump lists started to get extremely slow.

But they behave that way just for a while, then they work as they should again.

When slow, it takes several minutes for the jump list to appear. It is extremely annoying. Especially e.g. when I have opened a remote desktop and want to open another one via the jumplist.

I had exactly the same problem with my old Windows 7 PC and assumed that I would get rid of that problem,
    changing both PC and OS, but no.

I do not want the standard answers to this problem:

- Disable Aero

- Clear the (Explorer) Cache for Jump lists

- etc.

It is definitely something else. I mean, how would the jump list cache get full after only a week? And why does the jump list get slow only sometimes and then suddenly works just fine again?

So please, give me an answer that takes this into consideration.

Anders Edvin, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Magnus09 Win User
    Ethernet Connection (slow internet after upgrading to win10)

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The suggestions you provided are also some of the "fixes" I tried before with no luck. But I did try them again and it still did not resolve my issue.

For the troubleshooting, nothing came up because there IS connection. Just extremely slow. There's no errors or any msg that pops up. The problem is that the internet connection is extremely slow at initial start or after the PC comes out from sleep mode.
    Once I disable/re-enable the ethernet connection, speed is great.

If you have any other suggestion, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Magnus09, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow

1. Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow - Similar Threads - ethernet suddenly extremely

2. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in suddenly extremely slow: All of a sudden my login process takes a minute or more from the point after I enter a valid password until the desktop opens.I have tried editing my startup preferences, which may have helped a second or two but not 60.I had accidentally invoked the dreaded 'log in with...
  3. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in suddenly extremely slow: All of a sudden my login process takes a minute or more from the point after I enter a valid password until the desktop opens.I have tried editing my startup preferences, which may have helped a second or two but not 60.I had accidentally invoked the dreaded 'log in with...
  4. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 10 ethernet randomly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 ethernet randomly extremely slow: just opened my computer today and my ethernet was acting extremely slow. usually i'd get around 30-40mbps [speedtest] but today i've been getting around 1-5mbps i tested for connection problems earlier and was told my dns servers were the issue but, after redoing the test...
  6. windows 10 ethernet randomly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 ethernet randomly extremely slow: just opened my computer today and my ethernet was acting extremely slow. usually i'd get around 30-40mbps [speedtest] but today i've been getting around 1-5mbps i tested for connection problems earlier and was told my dns servers were the issue but, after redoing the test...
  7. windows 10 ethernet randomly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Everything extremely slow suddenly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything extremely slow suddenly: My laptop was running fine up until about 2 days ago. Now it is extremely slow with everything including task manager and settings. Restarting doesn't help at all and I haven't installed anything recently. I've had malwarebytes do a full scan and it found nothing. The task...
  9. Ethernet Suddenly Slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Suddenly Slow?: Hi, I was installing my new SSD and I completely wiped my hard drive to start fresh and make it easier to install Windows on my SSD. Along the way, I unplugged everything from my PC to put in the new part. After I installed the SSD everything worked fine (it still is), but I...
  10. sudden extremely slow hp laptop on windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sudden extremely slow hp laptop on windows 10: A couple weeks ago my hp laptop suddenly began running very slowly. I have never had this happen before. the laptop is three years old and I have plenty of memory left. I d/l malwarebytes and it found one pup and quaranteed it. I d/led spybot and adaware and found basically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 network suddenly slow

2. ethernet suddenly slow