Windows 10: Windows 10 - every wake from sleep creates new windows explorer process which stays open

Discus and support Windows 10 - every wake from sleep creates new windows explorer process which stays open in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I noticed that at times wake from sleep was taking longer and longer. Task manager showed Windows Explorer taking up to 100% CPU for a while at wake... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BMW51Kok, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BMW51Kok Win User

Windows 10 - every wake from sleep creates new windows explorer process which stays open

I noticed that at times wake from sleep was taking longer and longer. Task manager showed Windows Explorer taking up to 100% CPU for a while at wake up, and that there were multiple Windows Explorer processes running, each using some memory. Further tests show that each time I wake the computer from sleep it creates a new Windows Explorer process which remains until such time as I either sign out or reboot. There have been up to 40 such Windows Explorer processes - it just depends on how many times I use sleep.

If I restart any of the Windows Explorer processes they actually close, and I can do this individually to close them all except one.

Other than rebooting or signing out more frequently, is there something I can do to stop this?

:)

BMW51Kok, Jan 21, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 wont stay in sleep mode

yes, it was already off.

its waking up one hour after it sleeps for about 2 minutes, then sleeping again. How the eff can i track what it does in that time if nothing shows in powerCFG or the event log?

Mussels, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 - every wake from sleep creates new windows explorer process which stays open

Windows 10 wont stay in sleep mode

it probably will.

Mussels, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - every wake from sleep creates new windows explorer process which stays open - Similar Threads - every wake sleep

2. Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep: Like many others I found this to be a giant pain. Lock your computer or just walk away with programs up and come back to find them small and in the upper left corner.Well, this post by AndrejPirman...
  3. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 will not wake from sleep: I have executed all tricks that were found on the web but my laptop still goes to sleep and does not wake up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-wake-from-sleep/b32611ba-84fb-49c5-a4f9-b589b557446e
  4. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 will not wake from sleep: I have executed all tricks that were found on the web but my laptop still goes to sleep and does not wake up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-wake-from-sleep/b32611ba-84fb-49c5-a4f9-b589b557446e
  5. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.: I don't think it starts on boot, just when it wakes up. It's not in any startup lists, in settings or task manager at least, I've probably checked elsewhere though. It's really weird, I can't seem to find any setting in Word itself, and Google isn't helping me. I don't recall...
  7. Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.: I don't think it starts on boot, just when it wakes up. It's not in any startup lists, in settings or task manager at least, I've probably checked elsewhere though. It's really weird, I can't seem to find any setting in Word itself, and Google isn't helping me. I don't recall...
  8. Stay in sleep and wake with spacebar

Stay in sleep and wake with spacebar: I can't figure out how to adjust the power plan in Windows 10 to achieve this: - After I press the power button to put the computer in Sleep mode, I'd like the computer to stay in Sleep mode even after multiple hours and not go to hibernation or switch off. - I'd also like...
  9. windows 10 wakes from sleep EVERY night and the screen stays on until morning

windows 10 wakes from sleep EVERY night and the screen stays on until morning: I put my computer to sleep before going to bed, but the signon screen is brightly lit every morning. Furthermore, when I launch Windows Update, it never seems to finish searching for new updates. In searching for a cause of the waking, I have come across the following...
  10. which processes prevent sleep?

which processes prevent sleep?: my computer will go to sleep after 30 minutes, as scheduled, but only if I have not signed in to my user account. once I sign in, it will not automatically sleep, and the monitor will not dim. what processes are likely to be interfering with sleep? I can put it into sleep...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chacomputer opens file explorer when waking from sleep