Windows 10: Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize

Discus and support Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First post, hi. I downloaded Windows 10 on release and despite its flaws, I actually like it. I am finding an issue with Explorer though. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BluesFanUK, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize

First post, hi.

I downloaded Windows 10 on release and despite its flaws, I actually like it.

I am finding an issue with Explorer though. I've noticed that the preview image icon for folders doesn't resize itself to fit within the folder preview section, so if the image I want to show as a preview on that folder icon is tiny, it'll show as being tiny in the preview with loads of blank space around it, for larger images it does seem to fit in, though if the image is longer than it is wide than it'll cut the bottom bit off. This wasn't the case in previous versions of Windows and I presume it can be tweaked in the registry.

Any help appreciated. I'm using a 4K monitor and Microsoft have improved the scaling in this OS, but it's still not exactly brilliant. Third party software is the main culprit tbf.

:)

BluesFanUK, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Exit15_15 Win User

Windows Explorer Crashes when Resizing or Snapping to a Side.

This solution worked. The problem occurs when the Preview Pane is on and the size of the window is too small to contain both the list of files and the Preview Pane. File Explorer remembers the last size your window was resized to and will toggle between
    full screen and the last size.

After applying the above fix, I resized the window to about 1/4 of the screen and turned the Preview Pane back on. Now I can toggle between full screen and 1/4 screen without any issue.

Exit15_15, Aug 15, 2015
  3. windows media player rich preview handler displays in wrong Place (And in Task bar) after April update

I tried your steps but still could not fix the issue. I did notice something new though. Before reading your post I never tried resizing the preview pane. When I tried resizing the preview pane larger, the "floating preview pane" would get larger to a
    certain point and then start moving across my screen in proportion to my resizing the preview pane.

I have 3 monitors, 2 are 2560x1440 and one is 2560x1440 in portrait mode (so 1440x2560)

I have made the preview pane as wide as it can go and made my Windows Explorer window as wide as it can go which is 2560x2+1440 pixels. And then I made it as high as it can go which is 2560 pixels and the preview pane never went back inside Explorer. I
    have tested this on a video which is 640x480 in size so it would have definitely fit inside the preview pane.

Microsoft, please fix this issue already.

MikeRotch_76, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize

The ones that open like this:

Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize [​IMG]

I thought this was supposed to be a new feature in Windows 10 with the icons getting an update, instead they're the same/very similar to to 7 and 8.

BluesFanUK, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Explorer isn't resizing my images properly either. I have a few icons I want to show as my preview and instead my folders are just showing loads of white space around the image.

Begging for an answer right now, had Win 10 for a couple weeks now and this is just infuriating me, to point i'm considering going back to Windows 7.

BluesFanUK, Aug 20, 2015
  6. sanorin Win User
    I have the same problem. Not only the pictures do not resize, but also I can't set a folder picture for many of the folders. It just shows some random content from inside the folder.

I have a large collection of movies and I like to use the movie poster as the folder picture, to quickly identify them as I browse them. This used to work flawlessly in Windows 8.1, but now in 10, as you can see, it looks like utter shit.*Mad

sanorin, Aug 24, 2015
  7. Any news on that problem? Not much information can be found on the Internet. I find it surprising given that it is so obvious. I even saw some replies from people who could not even notice the problem even though it was apparent. No wonder this bug went unnoticed during Windows 10 pre-release testing.

Philippe

philippebruno, Jan 21, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize

philippebruno, Jan 21, 2016
  9. KeithM Win User
    If we can figure out how the Music Library is displaying albums...

Keith

KeithM, Jan 21, 2016
  10. Right, apologies for necroing this thread, but two years on and Microsoft have still failed to address this annoying issue.

I used an old PC at work yesterday that had Windows 7 on, and all my old folders looked absolutely perfect. The artwork in my music files were displaying perfectly on the folder preview.

Since I created this in 2015, I've noticed if you have an image that's of equal dimensions (say 200x200), and you chose that to show as the folder icon, then it shows with a big white border. If you crop it to say 199x200, it goes away.

Has anyone managed to find a way to edit all this in the registry? I genuinely wish I never upgraded to Windows 10, i've had nothing but hassle with it for over 18 months, particularly with its auto driver installations.

BluesFanUK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize

1. Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize - Similar Threads - Explorer Folder Preview

2. How can I resize the picture folder thumbnail preview?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I resize the picture folder thumbnail preview?: like this no matter how I change the size of the folder icon, the thumbnail preview always half blocked by the folder iconIs there any solution make the preview show like this way,the picture is fully show on the folder iconI mean all the folder automatically NOT just...
  3. How can I resize the picture folder thumbnail preview?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I resize the picture folder thumbnail preview?: like this no matter how I change the size of the folder icon, the thumbnail preview always half blocked by the folder iconIs there any solution make the preview show like this way,the picture is fully show on the folder iconI mean all the folder automatically NOT just...
  4. Resize Preview Image in Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resize Preview Image in Preview Pane: Even though I resize the preview pane, my image preview very small. My other computers are fine, but the one I'm using right now is the only PC that does this. I tried every method I found on the Internet and nothing works. Is there a solution to this?...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer previews

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Explorer previews: I would like to disable file previews and the drop-down arrow to show sub-folders while in the Details pane of File Explorer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-previews/02dd9253-d88c-4253-a673-bfc04c719266
  6. Windows Explorer Window: Can't resize it.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Window: Can't resize it.: Hi, I'm having a really hard time with my Windows Explorer Window. It's stuck in maximum mode but I can minimize. The problem is I can't use the arrows to change the size of the window. Any help would be appreciated. I'm working with Windows 10. 154137
  7. Cannot Resize Folders in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Resize Folders in File Explorer Windows 10: I unfortunately bought a new HP Envy laptop with windows 10 Pro. The size of the folders in File Explorer are nothing like the size they were on my old Windows 10 Home Version laptop. Actually the View Large icons are the same size as the View Extra Large Icons. HP support...
  8. Folders, and only folders, windows will not resize

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders, and only folders, windows will not resize: When I open any desktop folder and try to resize it to a smaller size it goes to a small unusable size. From this size one can maximize or minimize the window but can not resize it. It also goes into a loop and when I close the window, my desktop and system tray icons...
  9. Resizing File Explorer Window

in Windows 10 Support
    Resizing File Explorer Window: When I open File Explorer the window opens maximized and will not let me resize it. The minimize (-) and close (x) buttons work ok but the center button doesn't do anything when picked. I am new to windows 10, my old system was XP. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. 48903
  10. Explorer Preview pane image will not resize

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Preview pane image will not resize: I'll use the explorer preview pane regularly. I have multiple installs of windows 10 on different machines. On one in particular, I cannot get the preview image to resize/scale up when I drag the preview pane to be bigger. The default space it takes is fairly narrow, which is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. resize folder preview

2. windows 10 explorer cannot resize

3. resize windows explorer preview windows 10