Windows 10: Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files

Discus and support Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 17132, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 17132 Win User

Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files

Hello,

I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time it tries to browse the content, even on some rather old mkv files.
    Explorer is unable either to display the duration or to compute a preview, and once it has opened a directory containing one mkv it does not understand, the only solution is to kill it.
    I have been searching the web, but found nobody having such an issue. With win 7 I have never had any issue with these files.
    Has somebody here an idea to solve the problem ? Is there a way to instruct windows 10 to be silly and ignore mkv like a good old win 7, since obviously it cannot read them correctly ?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

17132, Sep 12, 2015
  2. Denver303 Win User

No video length data in File Explorer

Recently, File Explorer doesn't show the "Length" data in folders optimized for Video files. This appears to only happen in folders with MKV files, and not MP4 files, but it's not all MKV files. Some folders show the length data for all the MKV files,
    some show data for some or just a few files, and some folders don't show any length data for any MKV files. I've viewed the folders from multiple PCs and have copied the folders to multiple PCs, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Stranger yet, when
    initially converted some of the files showed length data in File Explorer, but now do not. Any ideas as to what's going on with File Explorer in these cases?

Denver303, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Briangw Win User
    Briangw, Sep 12, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In Settings, System, Default Apps click Choose Default Apps by File Type. Scroll down to mkv in the left column - what app is shown for them? Mine says Movies and TV, but I don't have any MKV files on my computer to see how they act. If yours doesn't say Movies and TV, try changing it to that.

NavyLCDR, Sep 12, 2015
  5. 17132 Win User
    Hello

I have already done that putting vlc but it has absolutely no effect on explorer which obviously continues do use the same soft to display information.
    It is weird that I am the only one to have this issue. I really do not have the impression that my mkv are using strange codecs, but now its a bit difficult to check as I can browse them...

17132, Sep 12, 2015
  6. Just out of interest try Explorer++ . It's a portable application, just unzip and run it from there. MKV thumbnails should appear in the bottom preview pane. I prefer it to the default file explorer. It's very powerful, be careful *really

Explorer++ - A small and fast file manager for Windows

Torquemada, Sep 12, 2015
  7. Datapod Win User
    I have no solution to offer. Just wanted to let you know I upgraded from Windows 7 as well. I have a ton of MKV files mostly made with "Make MKV" from my DVD collection and have not experienced any problems with them in Explorer or otherwise.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful though, sometimes it can be useful to know the problem isn't universal.

It would be interesting to know if, as Torquemada suggested, the problem persists with a different explorer.
    D

Datapod, Sep 13, 2015
  8. davexnet Win User

Perhaps some of the mkv files are damaged, thus, Explorer hangs when it tries to read them to get information,
    and/or display the thumbnails.

davexnet, Sep 13, 2015
  9. hodorx Win User
    ure not the only one, i am have this since day 1 on windows 10 for almost over a month now.

* MP4's are absolutely fine.
    * Only 5-10% of the mkv files are affected.
    * Even SOME of the latest tv shows i downloaded yesterday and the day before is affected. So data corruption is not the problem.
    * I have only vlc installed and no other codecs,so codec conflict is not the issue.
    * For some of the folders(with those problem mkv's) disabling the details/preview panel that shows the file info in the right side helps. But not in every case.
    * what i have concluded thus far over a month is- the culprit is com surrogate process using too much hard disk usage while opening those folders and it has something got to do with it unable to generate thumbnails or displaying them.
    Fun part is

* i downloaded game of thrones 4 seasons pack (~50 gb), 4 seasons in four different folders, season 1,4 are fine, the folders with season 2,3 are taking too long to load(the green loading url) and explorer stops responding.

IMP ---- keep the thread alive and share remedies

hodorx, Sep 13, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    It'll be a problem with the thumbnail/info generation due to whatever codecs you have installed and whatever app you have set to generate thumbnails.

Install K-Lite Codec Mega Pack and that will install the correct codecs for your system; have Icaros ticked for thumbnail generation in the installation options.

Download K-Lite Codec Pack

11. hodorx Win User
    this is not a codec issue.

Its dllhost.exe com surrogate issue.

hodorx, Sep 15, 2015
  12. Varg Win User
    I have the exact same problem and I tried everything but it's still not solved. It has indeed something to do with dllhost.exe COM surrogate.

13. XweAponX Win User

Ok, I have hundreds of MKVs. Usually they are quite large, if you have many MKVs in one folder, of course it will choke populating it.

MKV files are automatically associated with the Movies and TV tile app. But the Tile app CANNOT play back the Audio portion of an MKV. So what you can do is install VLC and associate MKVs with that immediately, and this should stop. It's because they are assigned to the wrong handler, that's wy the folders hang.

The other issue is that all Video files will insist on showing a Poster Frame if you set Large Tile view.

So, set the folders that have MKV's to Detail or List view, then they should not choke populating. Hope this helps. Mainly it's understanding your content and codecs, no other player but VLC for Desktop can play ALL codecs, and once you assign it to all file types, your problems will vanish.

XweAponX, Sep 17, 2015
  14. Probably talking crap here. I wonder if its gathering thumbnail information "on the fly" even if you're not using thumbnails. It's not a solution per se , no harm in trying this.
    This will take away the option to view thumbnails in explorer.

Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files [​IMG]

Torquemada, Sep 17, 2015
  15. XweAponX Win User
    Actually, that's a good alternative. Media files especially images and movies, have to be partially decoded for Explorer to be able to show the poster tile. It has to do this the moment you open Explorer to the folder that has MKVs and other formats. So it's a good idea. But installing VLC will prevent Movies and TV from trying to generate the previews, it's a faulty tile app. VLC is the only real valid player (desktop version)

XweAponX, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files - Similar Threads - explorer issues mkv

2. Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv): Greetings, Since the new update of this week I am experiencing some issues regarding thumbnails of mp4 and mkv files. When I download or create new files the thumbnail of the new file will not work and show as the default pictogram instead (even if the thumbnail is custom...
  3. File explorer issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer issues in Windows 10: I just started having trouble today with my file explorer. I scan in files as a pdf. I then rename them while viewing them in the preview pane. I can no longer see the file in the preview pane after they have been renamed. Screen shot attached....
  4. File explorer issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer issues in Windows 10: I just started having trouble today with my file explorer. I scan in files as a pdf. I then rename them while viewing them in the preview pane. I can no longer see the file in the preview pane after they have been renamed. Screen shot attached....
  5. Cast To Device feature and on-going issues with .MKV files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cast To Device feature and on-going issues with .MKV files: When casting a video file that is an MKV, Cast-To seems to have the best issues. It does not allow skipping ahead or backwards, audio quality is poorer or usually more quiet, will suspend itself after having paused for more than a few minutes or will randomly close itself...
  6. supporting .mkv files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    supporting .mkv files: Hello, I am an aspiring youtuber that does not have software and uses Photos. recently i have been using OBS studio and saw that Photos does not support .mkv fileswhat obs saves recordings as. I am wondering if you guys could start supporting .mkv files! -thirtymoredays...
  7. mkv files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mkv files: was backing up a bluray disc to mkv using handbrake. some files i could play and others I could not, why? Played back on windows media player. any help would be graciously appreciated...
  8. 1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv: and e.g. frame height and width are no longer listed for almost all mkv files and some mp4 files. strangely, some few mkv files work, though most dont display properties in windows file explorer since the 1803 update. apparently this seems to be an issue looking at the...
  9. How to add details to mkv files for explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add details to mkv files for explorer?: Hi, is there any way to add details to mkv files and with details I mean for example year? So I can sort my mkv files in folder by year? [img] 86947
  10. windows 10 file explorer issue

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 file explorer issue: I have one small issue. I was using win 7 and got upgraded to win 10 and everything was working fine. I have been using win 10 since August or September 2015. recently the location of the file explorer changed from the left side to the right side and I am not able...