Windows 10: Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails

Discus and support Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've had this problem for multiple months now, and I am sick and tired of it. My Explorer refuses to show any preview thumbnails to all of my files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by geht dich nix an, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails

So I've had this problem for multiple months now, and I am sick and tired of it. My Explorer refuses to show any preview thumbnails to all of my files, not even the default thumbnails.

I can somewhat revert this problem temporarily, by selecting "Details" under the View tab and then switching back to "Large Pictures", but its only until I go to a different folder and its very pixelated as shown in these two images

This is what all my files look like in the explorer

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails 547a17c1-2976-4bf8-b34c-012b89f01d2f?upload=true.png

and this is how they look like after doing the thing i described above.

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails 9be5f950-3927-4786-af78-04152197cc5b?upload=true.png

I have tried multiple different solutions I found online, which are the following:

- Recreating the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup and checking Thumbnails

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails 4b48fbef-6221-483f-952a-dd305d19ac81?upload=true.jpg

- Recreating the thumbnail cache using this Command Prompt Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails 2515c818-9b0e-4a7d-9fc8-919ef6e2f7b5?upload=true.jpg

- Checking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" under the view options

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails d2ef0465-8eed-426d-b9e0-b49ec8c4bd0d?upload=true.png

- Configuring my visual effects, using Control Panel

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails a1104a7d-5890-46b2-9770-3567bcd2e758?upload=true.jpg

I own 2 drives, and both drives have the same issue, so I doubt that the drive is at fault, and I have updated my graphics drivers multiple times since then without any results.

I have done these solutions many times multiple weeks apart from each other without them working even once.

I really need help with this.

:)

geht dich nix an, Dec 21, 2018
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Thumbnails in Explorer not opening for preview

Hi Lyn,

There are many possible reasons why you are unable to open some thumbnails on the file explorer. For us to assist, kindly provide these following information:

• Are you using Insider preview?
    • May we have a screenshot of the thumbnails that you are unable to open.
    • What are the troubleshooting methods that you've tried so far?

We'll be looking forward for your reply.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Dec 21, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails

Windows 7 wrong thumbnail picture

Either, what Mussels said, or...
    Looks like you have dis-abled thumbnail previews some how... as, that is the default file folder icon.

If you are using any system speed up utilities, they may have disabled it.
    Look here and try to turn it back on.
    How to Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 7 Explorer

95Viper, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails

1. Windows 10 explorer missing preview thumbnails - Similar Threads - explorer missing preview

2. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  3. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  4. Preview of Adobe progams in explorer thumbnails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preview of Adobe progams in explorer thumbnails: Yes I know, this is a very old topic but I have this issue (again). Which program is able to give a preview of all the different file formats (like pdf, psd, indd. ai,...)? submitted by /u/hakanethem [link] [comments]...
  5. No Thumbnail Previews for Explorer Windows in Taskbar & App Icons missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Thumbnail Previews for Explorer Windows in Taskbar & App Icons missing: [ATTACH] Hi, I got this weird problem recently, If I open one window in explorer it shows the thumbnail when I hover my mouse over them. but after opening multiple explorer windows (even 2 windows), it stops showing the thumbnails & goes like this, I tried every solution...
  6. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  7. missing thumbnails in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing thumbnails in File Explorer Windows 10: Is there a way to find missing thumbnails in File Explorer Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-thumbnails-in-file-explorer-windows-10/587fafac-8b1e-4288-86e1-6751f6760a1a"
  8. File explorer missing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer missing thumbnails: How to find thumbnails instead of icons in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-missing-thumbnails/57dcfeb0-3cff-4a19-9a9a-2dcd3f113775"
  9. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....
  10. Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.: All of a my preview for my images are gone... I went to Google and looked up some possible solutions. In explorer under view/options under View "Always show icons never thumbnails" is unchecked. I also tried to choose "Restore Defaults" from there as well with no luck....