Windows 10: Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way

Discus and support Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After the recent cumulative updates to Windows 10 November 2019 Update (version 1909), things haven’t gotten much better. Users are still reporting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Dec 18, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way

After the recent cumulative updates to Windows 10 November 2019 Update (version 1909), things haven’t gotten much better. Users are still reporting problems with Windows 10’s File Explorer search bar and bug appears to be widespread.

Windows 10 version 1909 includes an updated File Explorer that allows you to quickly preview the search results of local and OneDrive contents. While the new search bar is useful, it freezes for a long period of time and this has been confirmed by a good number of users.

The November Update also disables right-click in the File Explorer and users cannot paste text in the search bar with the mouse.

Microsoft is apparently working on a fix and File Explorer search issue has already been addressed in preview builds of Windows 10 20H1.

Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way File-Explorer-search-glitch.jpg

In the changelog of Windows 10 20H1 Build 19013, Microsoft noted that it has resolved an issue where it is not possible to set focus to File Explorer’s search box.

“We fixed an issue where you could get into a state where it wasn’t possible to set focus to File Explorer’s search box in order to type your query,” Microsoft explained in an announcement dated October 29.

It’s worth pointing out that Build 19013 was shipped to testers a few weeks before the November 2019 Update release. This once again highlights that the company’s testing processes are simply not up to the task.

Microsoft is also adding back the ability to right-click within the Search bar and you will be able to delete the recent search results as well. This has been added with Windows 10 20H1 Build 19536:

“We’ve updated the new File Explorer search experience to enable you to remove previous searches via an option if you right click the entry in the dropdown,” the company said.

This is pretty basic stuff and users are apparently not happy with Microsoft’s quality control:

“This is seriously bad quality control. As far as quality and reliability, Windows 7 was definitely the better product. It’s too bad because I do like Windows 10 but the fact a different part of it breaks as often as it has been lately makes Microsoft look like a company that’s struggling,” a user wrote in Microsoft’s community forum.

We don’t know when Microsoft is planning to backport the fixes to Windows 10 November 2019 Update, but it’s likely to happen in January 2020.

If you are having issues with File Explorer search and you are tempted to reboot your PC, you can just restart Windows Explorer and the search bar will work again.

To unfreeze search bar, open Task Manager, select “Windows Explorer” and then click the “Restart” button.

The post Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Dec 18, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way

1. Windows 10 Explorer search is a mess but a fix is on the way - Similar Threads - Explorer search mess

2. search feature messed up in explorer in windows 10 completely. How do I fix it?

in Cortana
    search feature messed up in explorer in windows 10 completely. How do I fix it?: This may seem similar to another thread, but it is not the same question. I don't know what it could be. At first i thought it was due to a messed up external hard drive. Now i found that it is also happening randomly in explorer. It does not always happen when using the hard...
  3. search feature messed up in explorer in windows 10 completely. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search feature messed up in explorer in windows 10 completely. How do I fix it?: This may seem similar to another thread, but it is not the same question. I don't know what it could be. At first i thought it was due to a messed up external hard drive. Now i found that it is also happening randomly in explorer. It does not always happen when using the hard...
  4. search feature messed up in explorer in windows 10 completely. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 file explorer's search and sorting by name is a mess

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer's search and sorting by name is a mess: It choose to not find particular file names' fragments, while showing the other. I cant disclose the document names, but i have documents with like 64 characters. When i try to search for files in folder that have lets say 160 files, it succesfully shows files when i use...
  6. Windows 11 file explorer's search and sorting by name is a mess

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer's search and sorting by name is a mess: It choose to not find particular file names' fragments, while showing the other. I cant disclose the document names, but i have documents with like 64 characters. When i try to search for files in folder that have lets say 160 files, it succesfully shows files when i use...
  7. Is there a way I can revert the way the search function behaves in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way I can revert the way the search function behaves in windows explorer?: The new search function really messes with my workflow when I use windows explorer. If I can't change it back to the way that it worked previously, is there a way to search by date modified via the search bar itself instead of through the 'sort' function? Thank you for any...
  8. Windows Explorer messing up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer messing up: Hi Win 10 OK so up until about a week ago I had no issues with Windows Explorer when I would try and save or move around files/folders but this last weeks been a nightmare trying to do anything in explorer up to and including moving and deleting files out of the recycle...
  9. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/
  10. Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?: I don’t know what happened to my explorer search feature. For some reason and I don’t know when it started but it stopped searching correctly. For example: Using the explorer search bar. I am trying to look for a file with the with the word “order” in the file name. I can do...