Windows 10: Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK)

Discus and support Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a brand new Samsung 128 GB FIT flash drive that came formatted as exFAT. I reformatted it as FAT32 following the instructions on this page using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Citizen Snips, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK)

I have a brand new Samsung 128 GB FIT flash drive that came formatted as exFAT. I reformatted it as FAT32 following the instructions on this page using the guiformat app referenced in the article:

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how...32-on-windows/

Now windows 10 explorer shows the drive as having a total capacity of only 53.6 GB. DISKPART shows the drive as having a single partition of 119 GB with no unallocated space. Partition Master similarly shows a single partition of 119.51 GB with no unallocated space. Windows Disk Management shows a single partition of 119.51 GB with no unallocated space in the lower pane, but only a 53.67 GB Capacity in Disk Management's drive listing in the top pane (see screenshot below). What is going on here? Why don't all of the applications agree on the USB drive size? Why are two different parts of the same application reporting two different size numbers for the same drive?

Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK) [​IMG]

:)

Citizen Snips, Dec 2, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 2, 2018
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK)

File Explorer Shows Incorrect File Size when copying from USB to C Drive folder

Hello Peter,

the issue might be caused if there is virus in the external drive (USB). I suggest you to perform a virus scan using Windows Defender or any other antivirus software installed (if any) in your computer and check for status.

If the issue still persists, then suggest you to update the USB drivers by following the steps provided below:

• Press Windows + X keys and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal serial bus controllers.
    • Right click on the drivers and select Update driver software.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK)

1. Windows 10 explorer shows incorrect USB drive size (DISKPART is OK) - Similar Threads - explorer shows incorrect

2. Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only: As the question states, the windows explorer on my Windows 11 system is incorrectly displaying my D drive as read only. However, when viewing the drive and its single partition in diskpart, it is shown as online, and not read only.I am still able to write, modify and delete...
  3. Can't fix USB drive with diskpart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't fix USB drive with diskpart: I'm trying to format a USB drive but I can't because the computer doesn't see it. So, I go into diskpart, I select the USB drive, and the clean command just throws an "Access is denied" error over and over. I'm running powershell as an admin. Does anyone know how to fix...
  4. USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity

in Windows 10 News
    USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity: [ATTACH]Sometimes, when you attempt to format a USB or an External drive, it shows […] This article USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer: I accidentally made a partition on my usb in diskpart, but now I cant see the drive in THIS PC submitted by /u/SonicBeast25 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g5pwea/usb_showing_in_diskpart_but_not_file_explorer/
  6. File Explorer incorrect size.

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer incorrect size.: [ATTACH]I recently got a new laptop and when i started it the search bar in file explorer/control panel was the wrong size does anyone know where this setting is? a screenshot is linked bellow....
  7. usb drive doesn't show on windows explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    usb drive doesn't show on windows explorer: Hi, I have two questions: 1) One of my usb drives doesn't show up on Windows Explorer, but does on Disk Partition Manager. Referred some other posts to try changing the drive letter but unable to do so. Months ago, encountered this and managed to find a reference to solve...
  8. Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart: Good day and happy new year. Whenever I create a partition (primary MBR) with diskpart (75GB appears as 74,9GB under Windows Explorer). Why is this? Command used was create partition primary size=76800 124562
  9. Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive: Hi all - I have an internal HDD with ~7gb of used space, but Windows Explorer (and 'Settings > Local Storage') both report the drive as being totally free (see screenshot below) [ATTACH] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Similarly, in...
  10. Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive: Hi all - I have an internal HDD with ~7gb of used space, but Windows Explorer (and 'Settings > Local Storage') both report the drive as being totally free (see screenshot below) [ATTACH] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Similarly, in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drive showing wrong size

2. wrong size pzrtition in windows explorer

3. incorrect usb size disk management

4. usb drive shows wrong size,
  5. USB THUMB DRIVE INCORRECT SIZE DISKPART,
  6. diskpart showing incorrect free space,
  7. diskpart shows wrong size,
  8. disk part explower,
  9. diskpart shows incorrect disk size,
  10. windows 10 usb stick size incorrect,
  11. drive shows wrong size in windows explorer,