Windows 10: Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016

Discus and support Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Given Microsoft's track record, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Agreed. Look at all the years they had to make IE great and failed. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Oct 19, 2015.

1. larc919 Win User

Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016

Agreed. Look at all the years they had to make IE great and failed.

larc919, Oct 20, 2015
  2. gtspeck Win User

No doubt Chrome has a good head start. Microsoft is breaking away from "that's how it's always been done" syndrome. I'm sure Microsoft will continue to develop Edge and strive to make it the go to browser in time. We get to watch and see!*Think

gtspeck, Oct 20, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    Me too. Very occasionally I have to use IE, the rest of the time Edge. I prefer it and have no use for extensions anyway.

4. RonCFL Win User

What does it means ...?
    MS needs more time to fix ... ? Are they that Incompetent .. ? Or choose to be behind ...?

RonCFL, Oct 20, 2015
  5. mrpumpkin Win User
    Looking around a few places, it seems as MS has managed to push Chrome usage even higher than before on win 10 and Edge. The browser is the single most important app on a any OS. Chrome's portability and extension support will remain dominant with the ability to sync across any platform. I hope FF hangs in there, but the HTML5 video has seemed to lag behind on win 10.

I would use edge if there were some basic extensions, but it is really unusable without them, and the lack of cross platform syncing *handwave*

mrpumpkin, Oct 20, 2015
  6. Wynona Win User
    Ummm, say whut? We ain't!?

Just because we like to live dangerously, doesn't mean we use our computers any differently than Average Joe.

For my money, if Edge doesn't do the job (and it doesn't), then I'm not going to waste my time with it. And, since it won't be "finished" until sometime in 2016, I'll just change my defaults back to what they were before Microsoft muscled in and changed 'em.

Wynona, Oct 20, 2015
  7. BillyBob Win User
    I've been using Web Browsers since Mosaic, I spend an awful lot of time on the net, in all that time I think I've used one extension. Early on I used Netscape, then I tried Explorer, too slow. Sometime after that I used Firefox, then I started using Chrome, still never used extensions. Sometime in Windows 7 I started using Explorer again and Chrome.
    Now I use mainly Edge and sometimes Chrome, all I look for in a browser are speed and search capabilities, and importing favourites. Edge is good enough for me, I always keep Chrome handy just in case something goes wrong.

BillyBob, Oct 20, 2015
  8. Davy49 Win User

Hi,
    At least for me..I really wish Microsoft would have the enabling of extension's sooner, especially the password manager that I use / need with IE 11. I'm referring LastPass Password Manager. As I have a multitude of password's, I surely can't remember them all, lastpass makes this SOOO much easier for me. I know BOTH IE 11 & the EDGE browsers are 'supposed' to have 'built-in' password remembering technologies, but they don't work properly. Of course this is just my own opinion.
    David *Wink

Davy49, Oct 20, 2015
  9. A lot closer to fact than it is to opinion.

BrownianMotion, Oct 20, 2015
  10. mrpumpkin Win User
    This is precisely why extensions are important for me, especially since 'web 2.0.' Take a look here at Mrs. Clinton on CNN. FF is using a single extension (actually, it's built in now if you know where to look), and Edge is what it is. Besides page load times, the CPU is churning on my laptop at about 9-14%.

Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016 [​IMG]

If I disable the FF extension, then FF takes the hit as well.

Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016 [​IMG]

That's not acceptable for me on a laptop when the page is idle. To put this into perspective, streaming Netflix & Amazon videos will keep the CPU at about 1-2% or lower on Edge. Even playing Games on my Intel APU (mainly DX9) will not idle the CPU like this, and except when loading a level, most games will not run this high non stop.

I'm not a tinfoil hat person, and I really prefer to use native applications as much as possible. I I certainly do not load my browsers with many extensions. I use 1 currently, and it's mainly for performance reasons, security being second.

mrpumpkin, Oct 20, 2015
  11. The only thing that keeps me to a Chromium based browsers is the lack of extensions. Other than that, Edge is doing everything I want. I don't use favorities anyway...

Olivir2014, Oct 21, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Edge is a nice browser so far. But it really does need work and by next year it could be amazing, I hope.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Extensions for Edge to arrive with Redstone in 2016 - Similar Threads - Extensions Edge arrive

2. Edge Extensions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge Extensions: Hi, While regularly browsing with the new Edge I end up with around 90 or so process for around 30ish tabs. These 90 processes bring the app to an absolute crawl using roughly 70% cpu usage on a 3930k and around 70% memory usage on 32gb ddr3 ram. I feel like this is most...
  3. Edge extensions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge extensions: Is there still no way to stop Edge from turning off extensions automatically? I use an S/MIME extension that it likes to turn off and it's a pain in the ass to have to shut everything down and log back into my work email every time it does it. submitted by /u/dronesitter...
  4. Edge EXTENSIONS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge EXTENSIONS: Is there any way of getting the TIME and DATE on to Edge Extension/Taskbar ? And - when will the new Edge with Chrome extensions be released ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-extensions/10b0f99f-4c15-4e35-97e9-3a6cffd80b09
  5. Edge Extensions

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Edge Extensions: I have a Dell Latitude 10 ST2E Table running Windows 10 Ver. 1607, Build 14393.2551. I had the RoboForm Extension Installed. On one of the recent updates, the extension disappeared. If I go back into the Microsoft Store to download it, it says you own this product but the...
  6. Edge extensions

in Browsers and Email
    Edge extensions: Does MS Edge support add-ons/extensions? I use Last Pass & xmarks in Firefox, IE and Chrome. Is it possible to use them in Edge? Thanks. 13599
  7. Project Redstone- the NEXT big (pair of) updates for 2016

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Project Redstone- the NEXT big (pair of) updates for 2016: Hi, the next major update next year will apparently arrive in two phases. Redstone Arrives In Two Waves, June And October 2016 30773
  8. Major Windows 10 'Redstone' updates tipped for 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Major Windows 10 'Redstone' updates tipped for 2016: The final version of Windows 10 isn’t even available yet, but talk of what comes next is already popping up. Microsoft reportedly has two major updates to Windows 10 slated for 2016 that will parallel the release schedule for Windows 10 this year. Codenamed "Redstone"—a...
  9. Microsoft Confirms File Explorer Overhaul, Could Arrive in Redstone

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms File Explorer Overhaul, Could Arrive in Redstone: Although no details have been provided, it’s expected that the upcoming File Explorer update could bring tabs and touch support, as these are two of the most requested features in the Windows 10 Feedback app at the moment. Tab support would allow users to work with multiple...
  10. Upcoming Windows 10 Redstone builds to feature more Edge improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Upcoming Windows 10 Redstone builds to feature more Edge improvements: Microsoft has finally started implementing new features in its latest internal Redstone builds, the first of which appear to focus on the company’s new Windows 10 browser, Edge. Microsoft is working to make Edge a viable alternative to other popular web browsers in Redstone,...