Windows 10: Windows 10 external disk management

Discus and support Windows 10 external disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am on Windows 10 and use a Samsung 1TB external disk formatted in NTFS for backup. It works perfectly. It has become full, so I bought a new Seagate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CharlesHellyer, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Windows 10 external disk management

I am on Windows 10 and use a Samsung 1TB external disk formatted in NTFS for backup. It works perfectly. It has become full, so I bought a new Seagate BUP Portable SCSI 5TB external disk. I plugged it in alongside my old one. I had tried to add it as an extra 2nd external drive.

Horrors, it froze my system. I unplugged it and my system recovered.

I have tried to add it on it's own but only managed to get is seen by the Device Manager which describes it as a Seagate BUP etc etc but when I try to open Disk Management it just freezes. the disk config screen remains blank. I tried Troubleshooting it with no success. It says the device is working correctly.

I see from other entries on this subject that it is an 'old' problem and there seems to be a lot of begging for Microsoft to look into it.

I cannot return the device because there is nothing wrong with it.

Can anyone including Microsoft Support help please.

It will not even configure as a single external drive.

The Seagate is configured as a FATxx system but the Samsung is NTFS. Is this the problem? Can one mix file systems on one PC? Because FAT is older can Windows 10 reconfigure the drive to NTFS and if so how?

Can a second external disk work on Windows 10 or is it just Seagate that is a problem?

:)

CharlesHellyer, Jan 27, 2021
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jan 27, 2021
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 external disk management :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 27, 2021
  4. Windows 10 external disk management

Can't find External Hard disk?

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

To assist you better, please provide us more information

• Did you tried all the methods from my previous response?

• What is the make and model of the external disk?

• Does the external device is detecting on Disk management?
    The issue you are facing could be due to external disk driver is being outdated. You can also try below steps to update the external disk driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager.

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand it, right click on the
      device and Update it.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 external disk management

1. Windows 10 external disk management - Similar Threads - external disk management

2. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  3. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  4. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager: I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no...
  6. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  7. Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management: Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years. Every time I plugged it in I would get a message saying there are problems with the drive and I always ignored it. Finally I chose the option to scan and repair. While this...
  8. Windows 10 Disk Managment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Managment: I have a hard drive from a windows 10 laptop plugged into a USB adapter that is plugged into a working windows 10 computer. I want to get files off of the hard drive but after plugging it in, it didn't show up in file explorer. I hear a common problem could be that the drive...
  9. Disk Management for External SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  10. windows 10 disk management

windows 10 disk management: hello i was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem. i have a msi laptop and since the 1511 update i now have partitions that where not there before hand. i can not delete these partitions and was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows of a fix. or...