Windows 10: Windows 10/External Monitor Issue

Discus and support Windows 10/External Monitor Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I have my gaming laptop hooked up to a external monitor and that is my main monitor, I have no intention to use the laptop monitor anymore. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Fatal Penguin, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10/External Monitor Issue

So I have my gaming laptop hooked up to a external monitor and that is my main monitor, I have no intention to use the laptop monitor anymore. However, I do need to keep my laptop screen open slightly so that the air vents can function optimally. I originally had the laptop closed and it only detected my External preferred option. Now, for the air vents, the laptop is slightly open and I have both displays showing on Display settings but does this affect performance at all on my system? For now, I know how to make the External monitor display only and manually turn off the laptop one in Settings, but is there a way to make Windows think that the only display connected is my External? Silly question I know, but I just don't want my laptop running harder if the screen is slightly ajar.

:)

Fatal Penguin, Oct 10, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Vivian_S Win User
    External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Windows 10/External Monitor Issue

Windows 10 upgrade: can no longer connect to an external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the external monitor in Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to the external display?
    • Were you able to see the light on the external monitor (Tuned on/ not)?
    • Is there any error message with this issue?

Step 1: As this may look very silly, I suggest you to check if the turned on or not, if it is on let us know the color of the light displayed.

Step 2: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and try to perform clean boot to check if there is any issue with the device and to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10/External Monitor Issue

1. Windows 10/External Monitor Issue - Similar Threads - External Monitor Issue

2. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External monitor issue: Hi, Last week I encountered an issue with my two external Dell monitors connected to my laptop. The issue I am having is:- If I turn on monitor 1 the laptop recognises it and it extends the display- If I turn on monitor 2 laptop both screens go into sleep mode but the laptop...
  3. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor issue: Hi, Last week I encountered an issue with my two external Dell monitors connected to my laptop. The issue I am having is:- If I turn on monitor 1 the laptop recognises it and it extends the display- If I turn on monitor 2 laptop both screens go into sleep mode but the laptop...
  4. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External monitor issue...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor issue...: I hooked up an external ViewSonic montior to the USB hub on my laptop via a DVI to HDMI connector yea it's old. I extended the laptop display and I see my desktop on the external monitor and can drag programs over to it just fine. What I'm having issues with is when I click...
  6. External monitor issue...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor issue...: I hooked up an external ViewSonic montior to the USB hub on my laptop via a DVI to HDMI connector yea it's old. I extended the laptop display and I see my desktop on the external monitor and can drag programs over to it just fine. What I'm having issues with is when I click...
  7. External monitor issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor issue: Anytime my laptop is connected to my external monitor on battery power, it refreshes every few minutes causing the monitor to disconnect. Tried changing the refresh rate, but the correct refresh rate for the monitor isn't an option. Don't think it's a driver issue. Can...
  8. Windows 10 update external monitors issue

Windows 10 update external monitors issue: I have two different spec laptops running Windows 10, both systems have been working well. Since the updates that ran during the beginning of August, both systems now have issues with external monitors.System 1 is connecting to two monitors via DVI and VGA, while system 2 is...
  9. External Monitor Issue

External Monitor Issue: I have an Asus Vivobook Pro X580VD-ds76t for the past 2 years and it has been working completely fine with an external monitor HDMI-HDMI. Ever since yesterday when I tried to connect it via HDMI-DisplayPort to a Lenovo monitor for the first time, it didnt work whatsoever. I...
  10. External Monitor Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Monitor Issues: I have an MSI Stealth Notebook and I am running Windows 10. I Have two external monitors, both I-Inc iL272s which only have VGA and DVI inputs. I bought two converters, a HDMI to VGA and a mini display port to VGA so that I could use each of the monitors separately. It works...