Windows 10: Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage

Discus and support Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've got really weird situation. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in August, and until November it was pretty great. But in December, i started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TheMoonshine, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage

I've got really weird situation. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in August, and until November it was pretty great. But in December, i started to experience bad system performance, but it was not so critical, until now. Everytime when i'm launching my PC, CPU usage is about 80-100% and RAM is 75-90%. About CPU usage, i quickly found out what was this. That was 3 processes:

Windows Update Service

wsappx i don't know what is this, but it have service icon, like Windows Update

and Microsoft Windows Search Indexer.

wsappx and Search Indexer could both use maximum 20% of CPU, while Windows Update could use more than 50%. That's really weird for my opinion, counting i have 3.3 GHz AMD Phenom II X2 560.

What's about RAM usage, that was a bit difficult to find out. I'm using a program called "Mem Reduct", which can show RAM usage in percents on taskbar. I often saw about 70-90% usage, but when i opened task manager, everything went normal. I couldn't understand what's the problem in 2 days, but in the third, i found out. That process was named "Microsoft Host", and it was using 40% of CPU and 1,1 GB of RAM. I was able to see this only one time and half of second, after that process disappeared and RAM usage went normal. But that's not over! Next day actually today i updated my Windows 10 for some small update, and i hoped this problem was solved. But it wasn't. Again, 20 minutes i couldn't catch this process, but i did it and was really shocked. This time it wasn't some "Microsoft Host", it was "NT Kernel & System", using around 70% of CPU and, just imagine, 2,4 GB of RAM! Now i'm seriously thinking about going back to Windows 7, if i won't get the solution, of course. So, i hope i will get it and fix this issue.

If this will be useful, here are some my PC specs:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 560

Memory - 4 GB DDR3

Windows - 10 Home x64

If you need more information about my PC, contact me and i will give it to you.

:)

TheMoonshine, Feb 21, 2021

2. RAM leaks and high CPU usage

Sorry to seem so negative, folks, but am I the only one who thinks it's disgraceful that the onus seems continually to be on users to fix the ridiculous RAM leaks and high CPU usage problems that were caused by the Fall 2017 Creators Update?

I received the Creators Update for Windows 10 Pro near the end of the year -- not surprisingly, since I'm currently living in eastern Europe. Installation went smoothly, but from the outset, I began experiencing significantly higher RAM and CPU usage. These
    were issues that I'd not experienced before. I did a bit of research, and discovered that the errors don't really seem to depend on system hardware or idiosyncratic configurations. Instead, the problems appear to lie clearly with the update itself.

I'm lucky enough to have a very robust system: i7 Haswell-E 5820, factory overclocked and liquid-cooled; 32 GB of RAM; GTX-980; fast SSD as my program drive, etc. I also have a Rainmeter skin that shows me RAM and CPU usage in real time. On boot, I used
    to see only about 2.25 GB of RAM being used; CPU would settle to 1-2%. Since the Creators Update, RAM usage on boot is routinely from a low of about 4.25 GB to as much as 7.5 GB, and CPU usage regularly shows prolonged inexplicable intervals of 20 - 35% usage,
    and occasionally even more.

I've tried the various suggested measures to alleviate the problems, with minimal (and only temporary) success at best. I've had no success at all in trying to get information directly from Microsoft through Support. It's worth noting that all the various
    suggestions to deal with these problems involving taking steps to cripple Windows functionality in order to reduce system overheads, thereby depriving users of some of the very benefits the OS is supposed to provide. Microsoft doesn't seem to be bothered by
    that; in fact, it seem quite content to allow users to flounder around in the mess created by the update.

Does anyone have a definitive solution for the RAM leakage and CPU usage problems (short of turning to an alternative OS)? Is there any word as to whether Microsoft will address these problems soon?

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

FlatPicker, Feb 21, 2021
  3. nacaraman Win User
    Speed and cpu usage

I have purchased a refurbished HP 8000 sff with 1 TB Hitachi HUA72101KLA330 hard drive and Intel core duo CPU E8400 3.0 ghz 8 RAM it seemed to me that this would be a fairly fast computer. However Ihave issues with intel boot agent error slowing down startup
    and extremely high cpu usage (90's) when opening windows edge or latest internet explorer . This computer was refurbished by Microsoft and has windows 10. Any suggestions to address these issues will be appreciated. Thanks

nacaraman, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage

Extreme Ram Usage!

Extreme Ram usage and would like to know why or if anyone else is having the same Issue Leader of the Group is Antimalware Services Executable (67.1MB) Followed By Service Host Local System (43.1MB), Windows Search Indexer, and Cortana, Which I have never
    set up for use (38.1MB) I am running 6Gigs Ram and the machine is using 50% What and Why?

EricJenson, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage

1. Windows 10 extreme RAM and CPU usage - Similar Threads - extreme RAM CPU

2. DWM Extreme ram usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM Extreme ram usage: I've already checked a lot of FAQs, threads for this issue, asking to user to update drivers or reset their PCs, making new user account.I tried them, didn't help. I want a simple guide or a script to prevent dwm from using more than 2GB of ramreached7.9GBs before it crashed...
  3. DWM Extreme ram usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DWM Extreme ram usage: I've already checked a lot of FAQs, threads for this issue, asking to user to update drivers or reset their PCs, making new user account.I tried them, didn't help. I want a simple guide or a script to prevent dwm from using more than 2GB of ramreached7.9GBs before it crashed...
  4. Laptop CPU and RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop CPU and RAM usage: Hi, My laptop is very slow. I cleared all unwanted cache and cookies and then my laptop got a lot better. One thing I noticed is that when I open up task manager, 41% of my ram is constanly being used of my total of 6gb. is this normal? Same thing for my CPU it is...
  5. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: How does Windows take 5GB out 8GB of RAM on idle? I've disabled runtime broker and many other ram intensive programs and it's still that high. I don't have any game launcher or anything. ‍♂️I'm honestly so confused. ‍♂️ submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments]...
  6. Extremely high RAM usage

Extremely high RAM usage: https://imgur.com/a/uIjlPQi Been having this problem for ages and I still don't know what's causing it. Sometimes I boot up my computer and it seems fine and sometimes I boot it up and this happens, where on idle, it is using over 97% of my RAM. I've tried updating drivers...
  7. High cpu and ram usage

High cpu and ram usage: pc lags and my cpu usage is on 90 precent while just watching youtube vids when i open task manager it slowly drops down when i close it it happens again wtf is going on can anyone help me? submitted by /u/nika105 [link] [comments]...
  8. Cpu and Ram Usage Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu and Ram Usage Problem: Good Day Microsoft, Last time i upgraded windows 7 to windows 10 but the problem is getting start slow down and sometimes the cpu and ram usage always labels in 50 above, unlike windows 7 it consumes small amount of usage of the ram and cpu But i'm so confused within label...
  9. Extremely high constant CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely high constant CPU usage: So up until this morning my Windows 10 desktop has been performing really well. When the machine is idle the CPU use is only in the 1-3% range. For some reason my idle CPU use is now CONSTANTLY 30-40% (even after a reboot)! Task manager says its "Service Host: Local System...
  10. Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost): So, basically I upgraded to Windows 10, and it's been a huge nightmare. To start with, I didn't enjoy the experience and tried to downgrade, but I was informed the backup was corrupted (it was using a different file structure or something) and was incompatible. So... no...