Windows 10: Windows 10 fail - again

Discus and support Windows 10 fail - again in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let me start by saying that I have been using the OS for nearly thirty years, always have multiple failures with each new OS. I have two identical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rsross, Aug 2, 2015.

1. rsross Win User

Windows 10 fail - again

Let me start by saying that I have been using the OS for nearly thirty years, always have multiple failures with each new OS.
    I have two identical PCs, same OS (7), same MB, Memory 3 gig or larger. I used the media tool to install over a legit Win 7. The first reboot nothing worked. rebooted and desktop OK. I was never able to find LAN port. I then created a DVD, installed it and it worked fine but, it asked for a key, would not recognize the win 7 key, and I understand it is not available w/o purchase. So much for "free,"
    I reinstalled Win 7 w/ legit key, used media tool to install win 10. It worked fine, recognized the LAN port, but asked for a key, even though it had the win 7 one, but still asked anyway.
    Two choices; re-install Win 10 every thirty days to avoid no-key invalidation, or re-install Win 7 and stick to it.
    I choose number two; Win 10 is typical Microsoft rushed out junk.

:)

rsross, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Fail - again and again and again

Hi Bob,

Apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to check the system requirements for installing Windows 10 by referring the link below:

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Also, would like to inform to install all the pending Windows Updates and latest drivers for the system and reset the Windows Update components manually by following the steps below and try to upgrade to Windows 10:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer
    and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
    Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
    Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
    ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the
    Command Prompt
    to close it and then restart the computer.

6. After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Also refer: How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

Regards

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 2, 2015
  3. BobJW Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade Fail - again and again and again

I've reinstalled my Windows 7 system, activated it, and tried to upgrade to Windows 10. Fail. I attempted to install from the Windows 10 ISO. Fail. I give up.

BobJW, Aug 2, 2015
  4. usmc362 Win User

Windows 10 fail - again

I wholeheartedly agree.

usmc362, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    You cannot do a clean install the first time. You must perform an upgrade install over your old OS first, you can then do a clean install after that. If you do an upgrade, with the same edition you are upgrading (home to home, pro to pro, etc..) then it will not ask you for a key. If it does ask you for a key, you're performing the wrong kind of install.

Once you have upgraded, and you have an activated Windows 10 from upgrade, you can clean install and wipe everything, then you click the "skip" link when it asks for a key.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  6. NUS
    Nus Win User
    You skip the points where it asks you for the key on an upgraded system...

You only enter a key if you've bought a new Windows 10 licence...

7. rsross Win User
    What do you men by "upgrade?" I have legit Win 7 install, with SP! on both PCs. I ran the MS software to establish hardware compatibility. The Win 10 should have gone on completely fine. I understand Ms nbew releases are buggy, same old story as long as I can remember. I understand they are releasing a 1 "gig" fix immediately. The way these installs went, everyone was different. One accepted key, but had LAN problems. Others worked but asked for key. makes no sense.

rsross, Aug 2, 2015
  8. rsross Win User

Windows 10 fail - again

I think you miss my point; as I replied to Mystere, one accepted the key, but had hdwe problems. Another worked OK, including LAN, but wouldn't take embedded key. This only makes sense if you have worked with s/w and have run into a common problem; all PC hardware is different, and s/w reaction to working with it varies from PC to PC. I am not sure there is s cure for this, if it works for a user, the odds have favored you. If not, fixes are your friend. Windows 10 fail - again :)

rsross, Aug 2, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Licensing and Keys work differently in Windows 10 for upgrades.

What I mean by "Upgrade" is when you install, it carries over all your old files and settings. This must be done at least once in order to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8.x license to a Windows 10 license. You cannot install clean, deleting everything and starting fresh.. if you do, it won't activate. That's the rules.

You can install clean only after you have performed an upgrade install at least once on that hardware.

Mystere, Aug 3, 2015
  10. rsross Win User
    Tried that the first time, it didn't work.

rsross, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    "It didn't work" tells us nothing. When you go to the car mechanic, do you just tell them your car doesn't work?

Mystere, Aug 3, 2015
  12. To be clear, you did this, right?

1. Have a properly activated version of Windows 7 SP1 installed
    2. Go to Windows 10 (the ISO download site)
    3. Download the tool (32 bit or 64 bit, depending on what you need)
    4. Run the tool, select the "Upgrade this PC" option

If you have done the steps above, then you are doing the right thing. What *should* happen next is that the Windows upgrade tool automatically upgrades your existing legitimate, properly activated Windows 7 installation to a legitimate, properly activated Windows 10 installation (asks you a bunch of questions along the way).

More details:
    How to upgrade to Windows 10 without waiting in line | The Verge

After that, you can burn yourself an ISO and re-install Windows 10 clean as often as you like, for the lifetime of the system (and by "lifetime", Microsoft means until you replace your motherboard, which has the license information stored in its ROM).

If this is what you did, and you're still experiencing problems, let us know what they are - and let's figure them out! Windows 10 fail - again :)

mrmatteastwood, Aug 3, 2015
  13. rsross Win User

Windows 10 fail - again

What you said, I did, as stated att the beginning. I had read the Verge articles and others. That is why I did the "update" to Win 10 on a secondary PC, so if there were any problems i wouldn't screw up my primary PC with all my info.
    I will start over, re-install Win 7, run the update tool (again) and see what happens. Will take a day or two to get to. If problems again, I will let you know.

rsross, Aug 3, 2015
  14. Ah, ok - thanks for confirming! Keep us posted.

mrmatteastwood, Aug 3, 2015
  15. rsross Win User
    I had a chance this PM to re-install Win 7 clean w/ key, let all the upgrades available in addition to the SP1 on board, then ran the upgrade tool again to install Win 10 again over an existing, key-registered Win 7. After d/l and file install, it asked for a key---again! This is pure BS! I am so glad I didn't attempt this on my prime PC; I can't afford to lose everything I have on there. Another stellar move by MS to prove that their OS is crap. I think I will just install Linux Mint in a dual-boot with Win 7 and let it go at that, unless someone has some way to resolve this mess.

rsross, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 fail - again

1. Windows 10 fail - again - Similar Threads - fail again

2. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed: Hi,We have upgraded all our clients to win 11 using Intune feature update policy.We have few clients that are failing to upgrade to windows 11. After troubleshooting, we have removed the drivers that are blocking OS upgrade. Now the problem is windows 11 upgrade is not...
  3. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed: Hi,We have upgraded all our clients to win 11 using Intune feature update policy.We have few clients that are failing to upgrade to windows 11. After troubleshooting, we have removed the drivers that are blocking OS upgrade. Now the problem is windows 11 upgrade is not...
  4. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 23H2 installation fails - Here we go again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23H2 installation fails - Here we go again: A couple of months ago the community helped me through updating my Lenovo T490 to Windows 11. I'm now going through the process for my wife's Lenovo L15 and encountering similar problems. The update fails, giving the error code 0x8007001f.I have verified the following:All...
  6. Windows 11 23H2 installation fails - Here we go again

Windows 11 23H2 installation fails - Here we go again: A couple of months ago the community helped me through updating my Lenovo T490 to Windows 11. I'm now going through the process for my wife's Lenovo L15 and encountering similar problems. The update fails, giving the error code 0x8007001f.I have verified the following:All...
  7. My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.

My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.: update : 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5031354Install error - 0xc000a2a7Fixes i have tried : 1.Windows Update Troubleshooter did many times, it only says we have made some changes try doing again, but installation still fails 2....
  8. My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.: update : 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5031354Install error - 0xc000a2a7Fixes i have tried : 1.Windows Update Troubleshooter did many times, it only says we have made some changes try doing again, but installation still fails 2....
  9. loading of the management console failed . provider load failure try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    loading of the management console failed . provider load failure try again: I am using a dell g5 se running windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loading-of-the-management-console-failed-provider/ce4917ea-b8fd-4b1b-a336-b414a6d5e66d
  10. loading of the management console failed . provider load failure try again

loading of the management console failed . provider load failure try again: I am using a dell g5 se running windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loading-of-the-management-console-failed-provider/ce4917ea-b8fd-4b1b-a336-b414a6d5e66d