Windows 10: Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options

Discus and support Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HI Hope someone can help. My windows 10 disk just stopped working and will now only boot up as far as recovery options. I have tried all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bonnytidetimes, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options

HI

Hope someone can help.

My windows 10 disk just stopped working and will now only boot up as far as recovery options. I have tried all the recovery options available from reset to auto fix. It errors that it can't complete reset.

Would love some advice on how to approach fixing this in a logical fashion. Really don't want to have to wipe drive unless really have to.

Thanks

Jon

:)

bonnytidetimes, Jun 12, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 recovery options ?.

When the password is wrong and the pin number is wrong is there a way recover the data or even the OS ?.

The extra added issue to this is that the systems running UEFI so no inputs working on boot, so how do you get in to the recovery options.

Could it be as simple as plugging in a USB drive with windows 10 on it and hoping it boots up off it ?. It's the only option not tried as yet as the owner of the system as just got out of hospital wanted to try passwords and pins which seemed to fail every time even though he\she is pretty sure are right.

I am thinking that's the way to go is there any other ways to gain access other than taking the drive out of the system. Data on the system is important too.

AsRock, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Windows 10 fails to boot, none of the recovery options is working

Thank you for getting back to us.

Since you mentioned that you can get to the recovery options, start the PC in safe mode to perform the suggestions previously posted.

You can read more about the recovery options in Windows 10 on
    this page
    . Refer to the following links for the next steps after reaching the recovery environment:

Update us so we can guide you further if necessary.

Ruz San, Jun 12, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options

1. Windows 10 failing to start past recovery options - Similar Threads - failing start past

2. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  3. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  4. Recovery options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery options in Windows 10: I have some entries in the menu when I go to System Recovery>Use a Device. There is an entry for Ubuntu, which I've installed Ubuntu on this PC before; and the only way I know to delete the partitions is to delete them in computer management so I'm thinking maybe the entry...
  5. Recovery options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery options in Windows 10: I have some entries in the menu when I go to System Recovery>Use a Device. There is an entry for Ubuntu, which I've installed Ubuntu on this PC before; and the only way I know to delete the partitions is to delete them in computer management so I'm thinking maybe the entry...
  6. Recovery options in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Unable to start PC past recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to start PC past recovery: Hi! I need help. My PC doesn't want to start past the recovery page and I've tried everything. Nothing works. Ive tried to reset, startup repair, boot to safe mode, uninstall updates, system restore and system image recovery. They all fail and this is really frustrating me....
  8. cut & paste fail - recovery?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cut & paste fail - recovery?: I was moving some important files from one disk to another after my backup disk failed. I cut the files I wanted and pasted them to a new disk and something went wrong and they didn't paste. Now I can't find the files on the old disk or the new. I can't recover the stuff on...
  9. window 10 recovery failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window 10 recovery failed: I have Hp PAV 510-p127 Personal computer. With Window 10. Some how Window 10 running, I used recovery disk to factory reset, but at the end It show recovery failed. Please let me know what to do. Thanks....
  10. All recovery options fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All recovery options fail: Hi, Windows 10 fail to start on my laptop. This happened after I replaced the internal DC jack/cable & forgot to connect the touchpad on assembly. I connected a usb mouse and windows started to act a bit weird. after a restart windows wont start. touchpad is now connected...