Windows 10: Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.

Discus and support Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Today, I upgraded both my motherboard and CPU (Along with a few case fans though I doubt that's relevant), and reinstalled Windows 10 Home Edition on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pickletickle, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.

Today, I upgraded both my motherboard and CPU (Along with a few case fans though I doubt that's relevant), and reinstalled Windows 10 Home Edition on my SSD to be certain that I'd have no issues.

Before doing so, I absolutely double-checked that under activation, my old installation of Windows 10 said it was linked to a Microsoft account - So that I could reactivate it later from that.

However, when I finally did get around to trying to reactivate with the new installation, it threw an error message at me - 0xC004F213, indicating it hadn't found a license on my PC. That wasn't a surprise, and I clicked the trouble-shooter, told it I'd made a hardware change - And it had my PC listed, with its old name and all. It gave me the option to activate however whenever I do this, it just fails immediately.

"Unable to activate Windows.

We can't activate Windows on this device. Try again later."

Is this something I need to be concerned about, is there a way around it? I don't particularly wish to run an ingenuine version of Windows 10, though I will if I have to given the £120 costs to buy a new license. So far as I'm concerned, I haven't gone beyond what I was supposed to do - The account has a license, it just won't activate mine from it.

Cheers

:)

Pickletickle, Apr 17, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Windows need activation after motherboard changed, fail to connect to server after troubleshooting for hardware change

If you original had an OEM copy or upgraded from OEM version of Windows to Windows 10, then the license would be invalidated with the motherboard change.

You could try your luck using chat support:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.

no longer activated after motherboard change. activation troubleshooter not connecting

That depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled on the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

What you need to do is to grab the key using any Software like Showkey Plus, uninstall that key from older PC and use it on another computer.

Download Showkey Plus:

ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

Uninstall the key

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

Use the key by Showkey Plus on the newer computer.

Alternatively, there are two more options available other than this:

• Contact Microsoft at http://www.support.microsoft.com/contactus through chat support. They would take control of your PC and activate(might need a proof of purchase)
    • Use the Activation troubleshooter on the new PC signed in with same MS account.

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.

Select I recently changed hardware on this device.

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.

1. Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter. - Similar Threads - fails activate motherboard

2. Activating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change: Hi, I have read all the articles possible about how to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change and nothing has worked. I swapped my motherboard for something more high-end and nothing else, but now my activation is debunked. Windows knows my product key Win 10 Home...
  3. Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard

Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard: Hello, I had activated Windows 10 and Office Home & Student and yesterday I bought a new motherboard. My windows said that I don't have a license. I lost my activation key for Windows but I have for office. What can I do?...
  4. WINDOWS 10 ACTIVATION AFTER CHANGING MOTHERBOARD

WINDOWS 10 ACTIVATION AFTER CHANGING MOTHERBOARD: Because of graphics issue I have replace mother board of sony laptop but after replacing mother borad I cant able to reactivate the windows 10 I have 42 no code recived from telephonic activation of windows but i don't have product key because digitally signed windows...
  5. Windows 10 Activation - Hardware Change - Troubleshoot fail

Windows 10 Activation - Hardware Change - Troubleshoot fail: Hi, I just had to change my Motherboard, CPU, and Ram. I started the computer up and it worked, no pop ups about accounts. I proceded to reinstall windows, and then noted that my copy of windows wasn't activated. I ran the Activation troubleshooter and it find one...
  6. Windows 10 Activation after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation after motherboard change: I recently changed motherboards and now my windows isn't activated I was signed in with a Microsoft account linked to my windows copy but it still won't let me activate it the error code is 0Xc004F211...
  7. motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting

motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting: free upgraded from WIN7. Changed motherboard today and "unable to activate this device" as quote after troubleshooting. i'm guessing the motherboard's specifications affected my account and then i saw "two" devices on my account after logged-in the microsoft website. 2 names...
  8. Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard

Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard: So I changed motherboard and it says that I need to reactivate Windows, I log in to my Microsoft account (i got windows 10 free from a windows 7 upgrade a while ago) I let Windows diagnose the problem, they say that there has been a report of hardware change, I press the...
  9. Windows Activation failed after changing my motherboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation failed after changing my motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu and now a pop-up appears on the bottom right telling me to activate Windows. I have troubleshoot and exhausted every option in Settings but to no avail. I have even scheduled calls with Microsoft using the "Get Help" option on the...
  10. Windows 10 Activation After Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation After Motherboard Change: I have installed a new motherboard on my PC and now Windows 10 says it is not activated. I got to settings>Update&Security>Activation I get error code 0xC004C060 I troubleshoot and get the message "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device" I click "Change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why changing of motherboard will result to a non activated office