Windows 10: Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

Discus and support Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi:This is on a Dell Optiplex 5070, Dell support will no provide any help as the PC passes the hardware diagnostic test. Basically, here's what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Janmonn, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Janmonn Win User

Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

Hi:This is on a Dell Optiplex 5070, Dell support will no provide any help as the PC passes the hardware diagnostic test. Basically, here's what happened.Background: Windows 10 Pro system running properly for several years, current on all Windows updates etc.1 I turned-on / enabled Bitlocker via the Bitlocker UI in Windows. I chose the "save recovery key to Azure AD" option and hit "begin" also choose the "encrptypt entire drive" option as well as the "enhanced encryption" options.2 When I returned to the PC 10-20 minutes later, it was on a blue-screen "Your PC/Device needs to be repa

:)

Janmonn, Oct 17, 2021
  2. Full_Keel Win User

Windows Startup recovery "Failed to unlock with this recovery key"

Hi. My laptop was booting directly to UEFI after a Windows update since it couldn't find the OS. I have a bootable USB that I am trying to use to repair with. The computer's only internal storage is an SSD which has BitLocker. I have found and entered the
    correct key, but, after a few seconds of trying to unlock the drive, I get the error `Failed to unlock with this recovery key`.

The bootable USB contains Windows 10 home which was freshly installed onto my USB drive a few hours ago using Microsoft's Installation Media Tool.

And yes, I have triple checked and reentered the recovery key. No, I'm not entering the key ID; I'm entering the 48 digit recovery key from my Microsoft account which I matched to the ID so that I know I'm entering the correct one.

Full_Keel, Oct 17, 2021
  3. Entering correct BitLocker recovery key results in 'Failed to unlock with this recovery key'

My recovery codes are stored with Microsoft, and I got my other four installed drives recovered perfectly the first time through, but my operating system drive (CWindows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key :) is not able to recognize the correct recovery key.

I can see the code, enter the code, but sadly receive 'Failed to unlock with this recovery key'. Again, I had four successes with other drives - it's just this one - and happens to be my C:, which stops everything else and won't let Windows run, nor even
    repair/restore itself in Bitlocker (Factory Reset fails with error code 0x80070057).

Anyone else run into this?

WestCoastie, Oct 17, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

Unlocking Bitlocker encrypted system drive without recovery key

A few months ago I encrypted the whole hard drive on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen notebook. There are no partitions. I did not save the recovery key externally, if at all I saved it then it is on the encrypted drive itself.

Today my notebook crashed (whilst updating iTunes) and during restart I see the error message that Windows has a startup problem. It goes through the auto-repair procedure, which fails, and I'm taken to a screen which asks for my Bitlocker recovery key.
    I don't have that so I try the various advanced options like system repair, but none of the options that do not wipe my data seem to work because they need access to the encrypted drive.

1. Is there any way to unlock the drive, given that I know my Bitlocker password but not my Bitlocker recovery key? I am not able to actually get to any screen which asks for the password, every screen is asking for the recovery key.

I tried the command prompt option and entered 'manage-bde -unlock c: -password' which prompts for the password. I enter the password but get the response 'The password you entered failed to unlock the drive'. I'm sure it's the right password. Next I try
    to view the recovery key with 'manage-bde -protectors -get c: -type recoverykey' but the resulting data shows the key ID but not the actual numeric key value (it's just blank).

2. Can anything be done to unlock the drive via the command prompt, or any other route such as a boot disk?

3. Is it possible to generate the numeric recovery key elsewhere if the key ID and the password are known?

4. If I remove the hard drive from this laptop and attach it to another computer as a slave drive, is it possible to unlock it there using the Bitlocker password?

tintomatoes, Oct 17, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

1. Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key - Similar Threads - Fails boot enabling

2. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to unlock with this recovery key: Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued to use it. 2 days ago it got really bad and today upon launch it gives me the 'unmountable boot volume' stop code. All...
  3. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to unlock with this recovery key: Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued to use it. 2 days ago it got really bad and today upon launch it gives me the 'unmountable boot volume' stop code. All...
  4. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key: We have a system with BitLocker Enabled. The system requested a recovery key and we entered the correct 48-digit recovery password based on the provided Recovery Key ID. However, after entering the recovery key, it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key" may I know how...
  6. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key: We have a system with BitLocker Enabled. The system requested a recovery key and we entered the correct 48-digit recovery password based on the provided Recovery Key ID. However, after entering the recovery key, it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key" may I know how...
  7. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key: Hi:This is on a Dell Optiplex 5070, Dell support will no provide any help as the PC passes the hardware diagnostic test. Basically, here's what happened.Background: Windows 10 Pro system running properly for several years, current on all Windows updates etc.1 I turned-on /...
  9. Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Fails to boot after enabling Bitlocker - OS drive fails to unlock using recovery key: Hi:This is on a Dell Optiplex 5070, Dell support will no provide any help as the PC passes the hardware diagnostic test. Basically, here's what happened.Background: Windows 10 Pro system running properly for several years, current on all Windows updates etc.1 I turned-on /...
  10. Bitlocker- "Failed to unlock with this recovery key"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker- "Failed to unlock with this recovery key": Wndows recently had an update. Upon restarting the computer, I am prompted with option to enter the recovery key. I was able to retrieve the key from my outlook account which is what I use to login to my account. I typed in that key but it gives me an error (title). I noticed...