Windows 10: Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

Discus and support Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks! I have had no luck getting Windows 10 Pro to shut down properly. I’ve tried every reported solution on every thread I’ve found, with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedViper, Feb 3, 2016.

1. RedViper Win User

Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

Hi folks!

I have had no luck getting Windows 10 Pro to shut down properly. I’ve tried every reported solution on every thread I’ve found, with no success. Perhaps you could help? Is there a way to get a log file of what goes on during shutdown?

Intel i7 3770-k
    Asus p8z77-v le plus
    2x GTX 680
    16GB RAM
    Samsung 830 SSD
    Seagate 3TB HDD
    Seagate 350GB HDD
    5+1 USB2 PCI card
    1200W PSU
    Dual boot Windows 10 / Linux Mint 17.3

Restart is slow, but succeeds eventually.
    Shutdown plays “Shutting down” screen, screens go black, displays give the “no signal” prompt, but MBD, GPU, and case fans remain powered (Hard drives can be heard spinning down).

Oddity: If I hard power off and boot up in Linux Mint, the OS reports that Windows is hibernated and refuses to mount NTFS partitions. This remains the case even AFTER I turn off hibernation; however rebooting and booting Linux instead of Win10 gives no such issue. Mint performs shutdown quickly and completely, which suggests to me that it’s not a hardware issue.

Here’s a history of what I’ve tried so far. At each bullet point I tried standard shutdown, holding shift while clicking shutdown in the Win+X menu, and using the command line (shutdown –f –t 0).

- Issue first observed after upgrade form Win7, assumed to be upgrade issue.
    - Erased SSD, reinstalled Windows 10 from USB drive (made with Microsoft Media Creation Tool), installed latest drivers from Asus / NVIDA.
    - chckdsk /f on all NTFS partitions. All pass.
    - Turn off hibernation with command line. (powercfg.exe /hibernate off)
    - Turn off fast start up (required me to reinstall hibernation) (as in: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums)
    - Rollback Intel Management Engine to Version 9.5 (Windows 10 installs version 11 by default, downloaded v. 9.5 from Intel) (as in: Solve Windows 10 Shutdown/Sleep Problem - YouTube)
    - sfc /scannow reported corrupt files, reported corrupt files reparied, no change to shutdown issue.
    - Performed “Clean Boot” (turn off all non-Windows Services and startup processes).
    - Reinstalled Win10. Shutdown issue exists as of first boot, is not resolved by installing / updating drivers.
    - Removed all non-vital USB accessories, no change.
    - Will update as I keep working on the problem.

I’m open to all ideas. The reinstall is quick, so I’m not hesitant about trying solutions that may break my installation. I’d image the drive, but if it’s a software problem I’d just end up reinstalling the problem…

:)

RedViper, Feb 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

The issue might be occurring due to the outdated\corrupt Bluetooth driver.

Method 1: I suggest you torun Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. PressWindows key + X
    and type troubleshooting.

2. Select
    Troubleshooting.

3. Select
    View all on the top left corner.

4. ClickHardware and Devices.

5. Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Power troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press the ‘Windows + X’ key on the keyboard.
    • Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press Enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Power.
    • Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If the issue still persist follow the below method.

Method 3: Restore Power Option Settings.

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X, and select the option
      Control Panel
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

Hi folks!

I have had no luck getting Windows 10 Pro to shut down properly. I’ve tried every reported solution on every thread I’ve found, with no success. Perhaps you could help? Is there a way to get a log file of
    what goes on during shutdown?

Intel i7 3770-k

Asus p8z77-v le plus

2x GTX 680

16GB RAM

Samsung 830 SSD

Seagate 3TB HDD

Seagate 350GB HDD

5+1 USB2 PCI card

1200W PSU

Dual boot Windows 10 / Linux Mint 17.3

Restart is slow, but succeeds eventually.

Shutdown plays “Shutting down” screen, screens go black, displays give the “no signal” prompt, but MBD, GPU, and case fans remain powered (Hard drives can be heard spinning down).

Oddity: If I hard power off and boot up in Linux Mint, the OS reports that Windows is hibernated and refuses to mount NTFS partitions. This remains the case even AFTER I turn off hibernation; however rebooting
    and booting Linux instead of Win10 gives no such issue. Mint performs shutdown quickly and completely, which suggests to me that it’s not a hardware issue.

Here’s a history of what I’ve tried so far. At each bullet point I tried standard shutdown, holding shift while clicking shutdown in the Win+X menu, and using the command line (shutdown –f –t 0).

- Issue first observed after upgrade form Win7, assumed to be upgrade issue.

- Erased SSD, reinstalled Windows 10 from USB drive (made with Microsoft Media Creation Tool), installed latest drivers from Asus / NVIDA.

- chckdsk /f on all NTFS partitions. All pass.

- Turn off hibernation with command line. (powercfg.exe /hibernate off)

- Turn off fast start up (required me to reinstall hibernation) (as in: Fast
    Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    )

- Rollback Intel Management Engine to Version 9.5 (Windows 10 installs version 11 by default, downloaded v. 9.5 from Intel) (as in: Solve
    Windows 10 Shutdown/Sleep Problem - YouTube
    )

- sfc /scannow reported corrupt files, reported corrupt files reparied, no change to shutdown issue.

- Performed “Clean Boot” (turn off all non-Windows Services and startup processes).

- Reinstalled Win10. Shutdown issue exists as of first boot, is not resolved by installing / updating drivers.

- Removed all non-vital USB accessories, no change.

- Will update as I keep working on the problem.

I’m open to all ideas. The reinstall is quick, so I’m not hesitant about trying solutions that may break my installation. I’d image the drive, but if it’s a software problem I’d just end up reinstalling
    the problem…

RedViperMartell, Feb 3, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands

1. Windows 10 fails to power off after ANY shutdown commands - Similar Threads - fails power off

2. Windows 10 Shutdown command not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Shutdown command not working: I've seen a lot of people having the same issue with this but all the threads are locked without a working fix. The thing that worked for me was adding "C:\Windows\system32\" to the Environmental Variables PATH. Hope this helps someone....
  3. Windows 10 Shutdown command not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Shutdown command not working: I've seen a lot of people having the same issue with this but all the threads are locked without a working fix. The thing that worked for me was adding "C:\Windows\system32\" to the Environmental Variables PATH. Hope this helps someone....
  4. system power off fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system power off fail: after new update 19042.746 20H2 my Toshiba Satellite laptop does not power off / or sleep so I must long press power button to off but it restarts normally. I tried many things to solve this problem but all didn't work and i dont want to uninstall the new update. what is the...
  5. Power on automatically after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power on automatically after shutdown: Hello, I am facing an issue from two months, my laptop instantly restart when i turn it off, if i power off by pressing power button then it will not power on again until plug-in the adapter. Kindly help me to resolve this issue. Regards...
  6. .hp windows 10 powers on at will after complete shutdown.

in Windows 10 Customization
    .hp windows 10 powers on at will after complete shutdown.: Feeling invaded. Microsoft crossing the line. I am not comp savvy. Please help before I toss this spyware cog into the trash and convert to the other side...at least we can be comfortable knowing that apple tries. Microsoft and android are way over the line. no matter what I...
  7. Windows 10 displays windows logo sometime after successful shutdown = have to power off...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 displays windows logo sometime after successful shutdown = have to power off...: I go through a normal shutdown on windows 10. screen is blank and power button off. I come back later in the day and screen is on and the windows logo appears and power light is on. Everything is locked up and have to power off and then on and computer boots up. any way to...
  8. Shutdown Command in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shutdown Command in Windows 10: Hello, Why doesn't shutdown command work in CMD? I went to CMD from WinRE. Thanks [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-command-in-windows-10/b22adca9-9bf6-4b08-85aa-75d6381b1bd4
  9. Power fails to turn off after shutdown or hibernate.

in Windows 10 Support
    Power fails to turn off after shutdown or hibernate.: My computer very often fails to turn itself off when I shut it down or hibernate it. It started after I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. First, I shrank and moved the Windows partitions. After setting up the operations in AOMEI 6.5, I clicked "Apply" and "Restart," and after the...
  10. Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting: One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fails to power off