Windows 10: Windows 10 fails to update

Discus and support Windows 10 fails to update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For a year now I've been trying to update Windows 10 to 1903 but its stuck at 1803. There's enough storage to do it, but it gets to 30% before shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mirrormiroh, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM.

1. Windows 10 fails to update

For a year now I've been trying to update Windows 10 to 1903 but its stuck at 1803. There's enough storage to do it, but it gets to 30% before shutting off & undoing changes. I've done troubleshooting on Windows, I've done the Dell Support Assist scan, but it always says nothing is wrong & nothing else seems to work. The laptop is an Inspiron 15-5547 TIA

submitted by /u/mirrormiroh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mirrormiroh, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 fails to update

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

Thema:

Windows 10 fails to update

1. Windows 10 fails to update - Similar Threads - fails update

2. Microsoft fails cant provide updates without messing up users computer and user having to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft fails cant provide updates without messing up users computer and user having to...: SO apparently Microsoft cant do proper windows updates to point where it messes up users computer and they need to go through process of fixing/ patching themselves. Why does Microsoft suck so much? should I switch to apple? Why cant Microsoft provide updates that don't...
  3. 2004 update fails

2004 update fails: Some snips from the upgrade assistant log upgrader_default: 2020-09-16 06:33:27.033, Warning [GetConfigurationByKey] File:utility.cpp, Line:270 failed with error code 0x80070002 2020-09-16 06:33:27.033, Warning [CheckWhetherShowWelcomeOnWin10] File:welcomepage.cpp,...
  4. 2004 update fails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 update fails: I have been unable to get this update to install, it fails with the came code 0xc000005 in widows update. I tried using the upgrade assistant, that too fails. Here's the end of the log that was generated. 2020-09-16 07:02:55.704, Error Setup Platform Deployment failed with...
  5. update keeps on failing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    update keeps on failing: update keeps on failing for windows 1909 to 2004 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-keeps-on-failing/71869a41-829f-4ed1-b270-85bda0e9bdc8
  6. How to cancel a failed, optional update?

How to cancel a failed, optional update?: Hi, I tried to install an optional update a graphics driver which failed. Now Windows is trying over and over again to install it and showing this message: Beim Installieren von Updates sind Probleme aufgetreten. Wir versuchen es allerdings später noch einmal. Falls dieser...
  7. Windows 10 Backup fails after installing Feature Update 2004

Windows 10 Backup fails after installing Feature Update 2004: Windows 10 Backup Windows 7 style fails after Feature Update 2004 was installed. I had not run any successful backups since just before installing Feature Update 2004. This week I cleared my backup hard drive of old versions, but now it fails after a minute or two of run...
  8. Windows 10: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 Last failed install attempt on...

Windows 10: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 Last failed install attempt on...: Hello, I have an HP Omen with Windows 10 OS on a 250GB SSD C: with 112GB free. User directories and data is on D:, a 2TB HDD. Every attempted update of 1909 has failed since its release with the same error "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 Last failed install...
  9. Update 1809 to 1909 failing all attempts since Jan 2020

Update 1809 to 1909 failing all attempts since Jan 2020: What information do I need to supply to receive a solution to this problem. My most recent try was today Friday 18 Sep. I have copies of the logs generated but the error messages are meaningless to me. Help please....
  10. cumulative updates not installing - Last failed install attempt on ‎17/‎09/‎2020 - 0x800f0922

cumulative updates not installing - Last failed install attempt on ‎17/‎09/‎2020 - 0x800f0922: Hi, I used an uninstalling tool to remove Microsoft Edge from my PC. Now my cumulative updates aren't working, which I suspect due to the fact that Microsoft edge has been removed. I wasn't aware that you aren't supposed to be able to delete Microsoft Edge off your...