Windows 10: Windows 10 "Family" group

Discus and support Windows 10 "Family" group in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I work as a volunteer IT support person at a small nonprofit. We recently spent a few hundred dollars to upgrade some of our workstations to Windows 10... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ricky_O, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Ricky_O Win User

Windows 10 "Family" group

I work as a volunteer IT support person at a small nonprofit. We recently spent a few hundred dollars to upgrade some of our workstations to Windows 10 Professional Edition in order to take advantage of enhanced networking capabilities like Active Directory. The workstations had previously been running Windows 10 Home Edition.

Recently, while updating some user settings I noticed that a "Family" group exists complete with parental controls and oversight provisions, even on computers that had Windows 10 Professional installed originally.

I cannot, even with Administrator rights, remove the "Family" group. All the help responses from Microsoft I have seen online related to "Remove Family group" detail only how to remove a member from the group, not how to turn off and/or remove the feature completely.

IMHO a "Professional" version, specifically designed and promoted to be used in a business environment does not require "Family" features and parental controls.

How can I remove this feature -- not remove members, but remove the entire "Family" feature -- from all our workstations and stop it reappearing after updates?

:)

Ricky_O, Sep 16, 2020
  2. EdTittel Win User

Last member (Adult) unable to leave Family group

Why not set up an admin account with documented password, add it to the family group? Then you can take your account out, and still have (or leave) an admin/family group access account available. Just a thought/suggestion...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Last member (Adult) unable to leave Family group

Not a bad idea, I had not thought of that!

4. DavidLaye Win User

Accounts and Family Groups

I want to remove my account from my family group. It is the ONLY account listed and I do not want this account showing up on my Windows login screen

DavidLaye, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 "Family" group - Similar Threads - Family group

2. I can't remove my son's account from my family group so we can join my wife's family group....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't remove my son's account from my family group so we can join my wife's family group....: My son and I are the only family members on my account. I created the family group without the knowledge that my wife had already created a group for her and my other 2 children. When I tried to remove my family group so that we could join my wife's family group, it will not...
  3. I can't remove my son's account from my family group so we can join my wife's family group....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't remove my son's account from my family group so we can join my wife's family group....: My son and I are the only family members on my account. I created the family group without the knowledge that my wife had already created a group for her and my other 2 children. When I tried to remove my family group so that we could join my wife's family group, it will not...
  4. How to really get out of microsoft family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to really get out of microsoft family group: Hello. we have a problem with microsoft family. I am a member i both me and my parents want me out of this group, because it does not work the way we want it to this is not the problem, i want no answer to that. The administrator has kicked me out of the group, and for her i...
  5. How to really get out of microsoft family group

How to really get out of microsoft family group: Hello. we have a problem with microsoft family. I am a member i both me and my parents want me out of this group, because it does not work the way we want it to this is not the problem, i want no answer to that. The administrator has kicked me out of the group, and for her i...
  6. Family Safety - Child's device doesn't appear, not authorized to remove them from family group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety - Child's device doesn't appear, not authorized to remove them from family group: I have been using Family Safety for some time but recently reinstalled Windows 11 on my son's PC. This PC was previously detected by Family Safety, time limits functioned correctly, etc., but after the Windows reinstall, the device no longer showed up and I could no longer...
  7. Family Safety - Child's device doesn't appear, not authorized to remove them from family group

Family Safety - Child's device doesn't appear, not authorized to remove them from family group: I have been using Family Safety for some time but recently reinstalled Windows 11 on my son's PC. This PC was previously detected by Family Safety, time limits functioned correctly, etc., but after the Windows reinstall, the device no longer showed up and I could no longer...
  8. How do I get out of the family group?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get out of the family group?: Hello My problem is that I don't come from the family group because the account that manages the group no longer gives access, the password can also not be reset because the email no longer exists...
  9. How do I get out of the family group?

How do I get out of the family group?: Hello My problem is that I don't come from the family group because the account that manages the group no longer gives access, the password can also not be reset because the email no longer exists...
  10. Can't remove a child from family group.

Can't remove a child from family group.: When I am trying to remove an account from family I am getting an error message."Family members under statutory age need an adult's consent to join a family group. Only the adult who granted consent for user can remove this family member. Ask the family organizer who granted...