Windows 10: Windows 10 "Family" group

Discus and support Windows 10 "Family" group in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I work as a volunteer IT support person at a small nonprofit. We recently spent a few hundred dollars to upgrade some of our workstations to Windows 10... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ricky_O, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM.

1. Ricky_O Win User

Windows 10 "Family" group

I work as a volunteer IT support person at a small nonprofit. We recently spent a few hundred dollars to upgrade some of our workstations to Windows 10 Professional Edition in order to take advantage of enhanced networking capabilities like Active Directory. The workstations had previously been running Windows 10 Home Edition.

Recently, while updating some user settings I noticed that a "Family" group exists complete with parental controls and oversight provisions, even on computers that had Windows 10 Professional installed originally.

I cannot, even with Administrator rights, remove the "Family" group. All the help responses from Microsoft I have seen online related to "Remove Family group" detail only how to remove a member from the group, not how to turn off and/or remove the feature completely.

IMHO a "Professional" version, specifically designed and promoted to be used in a business environment does not require "Family" features and parental controls.

How can I remove this feature -- not remove members, but remove the entire "Family" feature -- from all our workstations and stop it reappearing after updates?

:)

2. EdTittel Win User

Last member (Adult) unable to leave Family group

Why not set up an admin account with documented password, add it to the family group? Then you can take your account out, and still have (or leave) an admin/family group access account available. Just a thought/suggestion...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

3. Kari Win User
    Last member (Adult) unable to leave Family group

Not a bad idea, I had not thought of that!

4. DavidLaye Win User

Accounts and Family Groups

I want to remove my account from my family group. It is the ONLY account listed and I do not want this account showing up on my Windows login screen

Thema:

1. Windows 10 "Family" group - Similar Threads - Family group

2. Family safety blocking firefox though not a part of a family group and family safety is...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family safety blocking firefox though not a part of a family group and family safety is...: I tried installing Firefox today, but I can't open it without family safety blocking it. I have never had issues with anything being blocked by family safety, because my account is not part of a family safety group, and the wpcmon.exe family safety task is disabled. I...
  3. Remove child's profile/account from my laptop without removing them from the family group

Remove child's profile/account from my laptop without removing them from the family group: My children now have their own PC's so no longer need to use my laptop. I can't find any information about removing them from my laptop without removing them from the family group. I also need to be sure not to lose there data. Thanks...
  4. Is there any way to set up a time limit without being in a family group?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to set up a time limit without being in a family group?: Hi, I'd like to set up some time limits for myself but I can't find any way to do it without setting up a family group. Is there any way to do this?...
  5. A tutorial on how to add family members to your family group.

A tutorial on how to add family members to your family group.: 1. On your computer, sign in with an organizer's Microsoft account. 2. Click the + for add a family member. 3. Add who you want to be in your family group. 4. If they don't have a Microsoft account, create one for them....
  6. How do I remove my own email on my family group?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I remove my own email on my family group?: I created a new administrator account to rename my user folder. As I deleted the old admin account that was linked to Microsoft, I forgot to make it local user first, not sure if I had to do that. What happened now is the email is now listed under 'Your Family' and I...
  7. How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?

How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?: Windows 10 is clearly the result of out-of-touch executives all circling around a board table and spitballing about connectivity and foward-thinking without putting literally any thought into practicality, usability or how to make a service user-friendly. The always-online...
  8. someone has added to family members group and I cant remove

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    someone has added to family members group and I cant remove: Someone has added to family members group and I can't remove - not someone i recognise or have tried to add myself. I go to remove member but it asks to change consent which it wont let me as they seem to be listed as a child. I follow the steps to page and get this...
  9. Family Safety - any way to create application groups? ie. school and fun And limit the...

Family Safety - any way to create application groups? ie. school and fun And limit the...: Hi I use Family safety and think it's a great program and idea but it has some serious limitations. My kids spend most of their allotted time playing Roblox or watching movies on their windows 10 computers. I have set time limits for both of those applications. Lets say...
  10. Can't add family organiser to family group

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add family organiser to family group: Hi, when trying to add a family member as an organiser to my family group I send the invite and an acknowledgement screen that states "Invitation sent to their email. When they accept, they'll join your family." I logged out and logged back in with their MSA, went to their...