Windows 10: Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time

Discus and support Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. I have Turn on fast startup option turned on with registry and gpedit, so It cannot disabled by unticking the option. More here. The problem is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nggarap, Feb 11, 2021.

1. nggarap Win User

Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time

Hi. I have Turn on fast startup option turned on with registry and gpedit, so It cannot disabled by unticking the option. More here.

The problem is, my laptop (MSI GF63 9RCX) with 970 evo plus is slow on boot. Before this problem happened, the laptop tooks 10-12 seconds to completely boot. When this problem occur, it tooks 20+ seconds to completely boot.

Secondly, the "Up Time" on Performance -> CPU on task manager is back to 0:00:00:00 when I turn on the laptop after shutdown. Usually this happen after restarting not shutdown.

I can't tell when and why this is happening. Can anyone help me with this. Because every second is worth the time for me.

Apologize for my english. If anyone doesn't understand, please let me know.

Windows version: Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804)

:)

nggarap, Feb 11, 2021
  2. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 Boot Times Showdown

I just finished up testing various boot time scenarios for Windows 10 Pro 64 on my system. I've been curious for well over a year now, since I installed W10, to see how much UEFI GOP boot would speed up my boot times. The thing is my graphics card didn't have a UEFI BIOS. So I flashed one on it today and ran some tests. And I came up with some pretty interesting results after testing with UEFI GOP boot and without it, in combination with other boot options enabled(On) or disabled(Off). All tests done with W10 installed on my WD Black 7200 rpm 64MB SATA-III HDD, my MSI Z77A-GC65 Gaming motherboard, and my MSI R9 280X Gaming OC 3GB graphics card.

The boot options in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS that I tested are:

UEFI GOP Boot(called Windows 8 Feature in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS) with Secure Boot disabled
    MSI Fast Boot
    Fast Boot with PS2 support enabled, SATA & USB support disabled
    (each device type can be enabled or disabled for POST while using Fast Boot, allowing for faster boot times with more devices disabled for POST, or slower boot times with more devices enabled for POST)

Notes: MSI Fast Boot cannot be used with Fast Boot. You can only choose to run one or the other. I leave PS2 support enabled so I can use my PS2 keyboard delete key to access the BIOS after POST. If I disable PS2 support I lose that functionality. Even though it might cause my boot times to be a second or so slower by not disabling it. It's a trade-off.

The Windows 10 power options I tested are:

Fast Startup
    Hibernation
    Hybrid Sleep

Note: Fast Startup does not apply to Hibernation or Sleep scenarios.

I ran tests with the various options enabled(On) or disabled(Off), in a variety of configurations. I booted from a shut down with each configuration at least 3 times and recorded how long it took. Boot time started when I hit the power button and ended when the desktop background image was shown. I'm not particularly interested in average times or slowest times. I'm trying to figure out which way to configure the options that will give me the fastest boot time. All configurations varied slightly during separate runs. It's going to happen no matter what you do. So what's of real interest to me is which configuration is capable of being fastest. It doesn't have to be that fast every time. And I can guarantee it won't be anyway. So let's just look at the fastest times I was able to achieve with each configuration and call it good. *Smile Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time :)

Starting with the slowest configuration, and ending with the fastest configuration:

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: On
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: On
    Fast Startup: Off
    Best time = 2 minutes 17.29 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: On
    Best time = 2 minutes 14.04 seconds

Hybrid Sleep
    Note: Hybrid Sleep is not working properly on my system, Non-Hybrid Sleep doesn't work at all
    Best time = 1 minute 21.76 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: Off
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just UEFI GOP Boot On" test
    Best time = 1 minute 0.76 seconds

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On" test
    Best time = 51.90 seconds

Note: "Everything Off" test
    Best time = 51.87 seconds

Note: "Just MSI Fast Boot On" test
    Best time = 51.17 seconds

Fast Startup: On
    Note: "Just Fast Startup On" test
    Best time = 27.54 seconds

Hibernation
    Note: "Just Hibernation" test
    Best time: 24.28 seconds

Best time = 23.66 seconds

Best time = 23.43 seconds

Best time = 22.75 seconds

Best time = 22.38 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 22.31 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 20.40 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 19.87 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 18.69 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 18.38 seconds

Conclusions:

UEFI GOP boot with Secure Boot disabled: Horrible when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot On and Fast Startup Off. Significantly, and surprisingly, less horrible when used on its own(with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing if MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot is On and Fast Startup is On(when not used also with Hibernation). Good for at least 2 second faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~6 second faster boot times when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On and Hibernation.

MSI Fast Boot: Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2.5 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~4 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Basically same as MSI Fast Boot. Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Although ~ 3 seconds slower than MSI Fast Boot in the worst case scenario(like with UEFI GOP Boot also On and Fast Startup Off), it's ~.3 seconds faster in the best case scenario(like with Hibernation). Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~3.5 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Startup: THE GAME CHANGER!!! It can lower boot times by almost 2 minutes in worst case scenarios. And by at least 24 seconds in best case scenarios.

"Everything Off"(UEFI GOP Boot Off, MSI Fast Boot Off, Fast Boot Off, and Fast Startup Off): Strangely "pretty good by comparison" boot times. You can do much better, but surprisingly much much worse too.

Hybrid Sleep: Like I said...it doesn't work properly on my system. So YMMV. See one of my previous posts for a detailed explanation of what I mean by "doesn't work properly".

Hibernation: THE HANDS DOWN WINNER!!! Faster in every configuration scenario except when used by itself with all other options Off.

Tips:

Turn Hibernation On in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h on[/quote] Turn Hibernation Off in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h off[/quote] Further reading:

Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10

EDIT: There's one other factor to consider too. Namely Superfetch. It's on by default and has a significant impact on boot times. I'd noticed some time ago that without Superfetch On boot times were a lot slower. And I just ran a bunch of tests with the other configurations shown above and Superfetch Off(since it was On for all of those tests). For the sake of brevity I'll just cut to the chase and give you the low down on it. In every test so far with SuperFetch disabled(Off) boot times have been slower. And I can't imagine a scenario where that might not be the case. That is of course unless you might be using a SSD instead of a HDD. Since I've heard that Superfetch can be bad for performance in general with a SDD(not sure about boot times, but I'd imagine the same applies). So, unless you're using a SSD as your boot drive, my recommendation is to have Superfetch enabled(On) for faster boot times. If not just for overall system performance. Which I've also noticed is slowed down without it enabled(using a HDD anyway).

More info on enabling or disabling Superfetch:

Windows 10, 8 & 7: Enable or Disable Superfetch

MrGenius, Feb 11, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10| Startup Times Slow Since Creators Update

Hi, this has been experienced by some and there are many threads on this you could explore. See below.
    I've listed a few ideas for you.

Please also compare your times with those for a clean boot.
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    (part 1)

Some have suggested
    Some suggest turning fast startup and hibernation off:
    And there's the analytical approach:
    Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Note a few find their disk transfer rate is very low- e.g. 10MB/s, but appears 100% utilised. (This is not peculiar to Win 10)

Simply search the forum for
    slow startup
    slow boot

Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 11, 2021
  4. MrGenius Win User

slow boot

I would say yes, change them so UEFI is enabled. But I have to also recommend that if you do that you should also have Ultra Fast Boot enabled in your motherboard UEFI/BIOS. That should be the setting that enables UEFI GOP boot. If you don't also use Ultra Fast Boot it will probably do nothing. And using just Ultra Fast Boot may even be a bad thing if used without Fast Startup. So I still recommend having Fast Startup turned on at all times too. I would also highly recommend using a UEFI enabled BIOS on your graphics card(s) with Ultra Fast Boot if you use hibernation.
    I don't now why that would be the case. But it shouldn't be. The hibernation file is only accessed during boot when fast startup is turned on, or when resuming from hibernation. Eliminating it just disables hibernation and fast startup, and frees up some storage space. It shouldn't affect boot times without fast startup turned on at all. Of course if you're not going to use fast startup or hibernation, there's no reason to keep the hibernation file, since it does consume quite a bit of disk space.

Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time [​IMG]

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

I recently spent an entire day testing just about every conceivable boot scenario with Windows 10 on my rig. Fast startup definitely works for me. And using it with a full size hyberfile or reduced size hyberfile made no difference. The only reason to use a reduced hyberfile size is to free up some storage space if you don't also want to be able to use hibernation. Since hibernation requires a full size hyberfile.
    Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10

What doesn't work, as well as I thought it should(or anywhere near as well as Fast Startup), to speed up "boot" times for me is using a UEFI enabled BIOS on my graphics card(while also having UEFI GOP boot enabled in the motherboard UEFI/BIOS). It only shaved about 4 seconds off boot times(when used with just Fast Startup, or Fast Startup with Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot also enabled), and only about 2 seconds off resume times from just hibernation(without Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot also enabled). But when used without Fast Startup it resulted in worse boot times. And when used with just Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot(and without Fast Startup) it resulted in the worst boot times BY FAR. It did much better on its own(without Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot or Fast Startup enabled). And it effectively did nothing if used with Fast Startup enabled and Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot also enabled. But resulted in about 6 second faster resume times when used with Fast Boot/MSI Fast boot and hibernation. Basically...

UEFI GOP Boot + Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot = VERY BAD (as in well over 1 minute longer than all other boot times, and more than 1.5 minutes longer than all hibernation resume times)
    UEFI GOP Boot on its own = BAD (as in worse than standard booting with no "Fast" options enabled and all resume times)
    UEFI GOP Boot + Fast Startup = GOOD (as in about 24 seconds better than standard booting with no other "Fast" options enabled and/or about 4 seconds better than just Fast Startup with no other "Fast" options enabled)
    UEFI GOP Boot + Fast Startup + Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot = NOTHING (as in no better or worse than Fast Startup + Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot)
    UEFI GOP Boot + Hibernation = BETTER (as in just as fast as the best boot times and/or about 4 seconds better resume times than just hibernation with no other "Fast" options enabled)
    UEFI GOP Boot + Hibernation + Fast Boot/MSI Fast Boot = BEST (as in about 2-4 seconds better than the best boot times and/or 2-6 seconds better resume times than just hibernation with no other "Fast" options enabled)

But that's with my system...so YMMV.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...fast-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-windows.html

Anyway. Fast startup should work. In fact it should work wonders. It does for me. UEFI GOP boot(using a UEFI enabled BIOS on your graphics card while having UEFI GOP boot enabled in the mobo UEFI/BIOS) should also work. Though it only works with hibernation for me. The size, or presence, of the hyberfile should have no effect on boot times. It doesn't for me. I recommend using hibernation which, like I said, requires a full size hyberfile. Resuming from hibernation is faster than any method of "booting" on my system. And in my experience a full size, reduced size, or 0 size hyberfile has no effect on boot times(without fast startup on). Other than to disable Fast Startup and hibernation, eliminating or setting the hyberfile size to 0 only frees up disk space. I wish I could use sleep on my system, because that should be faster than resuming from hibernation or any method of "booting". But it doesn't work at all for me(or a lot of other folks using Windows 10). So I can't recommend it.

Here's my write-up on Windows 10 boot times and resume times from hibernation.
    Windows 10 Boot Times Showdown

MrGenius, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time - Similar Threads - Fast startup working

2. PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Boots Fast But Windows Is Slow: Hi there,I have a really frustrating problem with my pc.I have reinstalled windows multiple times and searched the whole internet for a solution and tried everything I can possibly find on already existing topics but I can't seem to find a solution.The problem is my pc boots...
  3. Fast Startup is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Startup is not working: My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11UC 8gb ram 512gb ssd, intel i7 11th gen, windows 11. Previously, fast startup is working properly in my pc but later I have turned off hibernation. when I turned on hibernation, fast startup is not working. my system is up to date [Windows 11...
  4. Fast Startup is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast Startup is not working: My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11UC 8gb ram 512gb ssd, intel i7 11th gen, windows 11. Previously, fast startup is working properly in my pc but later I have turned off hibernation. when I turned on hibernation, fast startup is not working. my system is up to date [Windows 11...
  5. Windows 10 fast startup is not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 fast startup is not working: I know that Windows 10 is built-in fast startup. It hibernates PC to boot OS faster. But yesterday night, I turned off my PC, it doesn't hibernated, tommorow I turned back on, it booted up slowly. This is happening again and again. I mean it is not hibernating anymore. I...
  6. Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time on task manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Fast startup not working. Still slow boot and reset Up Time on task manager: Hi. I have Turn on fast startup option turned on with registry and gpedit, so It cannot disabled by unticking the option. More here. The problem is, my laptop (MSI GF63 9RCX) with 970 evo plus is slow on boot. Before this problem happened, the laptop tooks 10-12 seconds to...
  7. Windows 10 Is Slow To Shut Down And Fast To Boot Up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Is Slow To Shut Down And Fast To Boot Up.: Hey, my windows has been odd lately. For whatever reason when I shutdown/reboot at take a good bit of time 2-3 mins. I'm not sure why. I can boot in under 20 secs and have a fast ssd. I have no speed problems in windows either. The only problem is when shutting down and...
  8. Fast-startup and keyboard boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast-startup and keyboard boot: Normally I would use the sleep button or a shortcut(shutdown -s -t) to turn the desktop off. Lately though ive been using the Start button and shutting down and i've noticed that all it takes for me to turn on the computer is to hit any key. Now I know that Windows 10 uses...
  9. Fast startup not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup not working: Hello, I'm having difficulties getting fast startup to work on a brand new PC (built a month ago) running Win10 Home x64 And I do mean windows' fast startup feature, not fast boot in BIOS, which is currently disabled At first I noticed recuring Kernel-Boot errors...
  10. Fast startup not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast startup not working: Hello, I'v got a problem. I had 1TB HDD and fast startup was working for me, but when I move my system to a 120GB SSD, I cannot enable it. Any help? I'v got Win 10 PRO x64 and laptop MSI GE72-2qf 36653

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msi slow gs63 slow boot speed