Windows 10: Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network

Discus and support Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Up until Oct. 31, 2020, when my computer booted up from cold with the Windows 10 Fast Startup option enabled, the computer would find and recognize my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnHannum2, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network

Up until Oct. 31, 2020, when my computer booted up from cold with the Windows 10 Fast Startup option enabled, the computer would find and recognize my 2 NAS units on the wired network to which the computer and the NAS's were connected. After Nov. 2, 2020, when my computer booted up from cold with the Windows 10 Fast Startup option enabled, the computer would not find or recognize the 2 NAS units. The computer returned various error messages, but they all amounted to "I can't find the NAS units" or "I don't know what you are talking about."

I managed to get around the problem by re-starting the computer using the command from the Windows Start Menu. Some investigation into why a restart enabled the computer to see the NAS's but a Fast Startup kept it blind to them led me to the information that Fast Startup does not affect Restart. After learning this, it was a simple matter to go into Control PanelPower OptionsChoose What the Power Buttons Do and click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Once the Shutdown Settings were accessible, I unchecked the "Turn on fast startup recommended" option. After making this change, the computer recognizes the NAS units when booting up from cold.

It seems that an update early in November affected the Fast Startup option is some way that prevents the computer from seeing NAS units when it boots up from cold with the Fast Startup option enabled. I did notice that, after the early November update, Fast Startup was much faster than it had been, but this could be because it is skipping certain things that it shouldn't skip.

I wonder if Microsoft knows about this problem and has a fix for it. I don't really need the Fast Startup because it doesn't save that much time, but other people may need it or want it and find themselves with this problem.

:)

JohnHannum2, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Morania Win User

No computer detection on wired network

I have a household network that is hard-wired; the wireless is only for hand-held devices. I've been experiencing an issue lately where my wired desktop stopped detecting or being detected by the other computer and drive on the wired network but is detecting
    and being detected by a SURFACE on the wireless network.

My desktop computer- Does not detect the other computer or the network drive (wired) but detects the Surface on the wireless network. Surface asks for credentials despite private network access settings. Allows access after sign in.

The other computer- Does not detect my desktop computer. Detects and accesses the network drive (wired). Detects and accesses the Surface on the wireless network. The Surface does not ask for credentials for access to folders.

The Surface- Only detects itself. No other computers in the network.

It would appear that my desktop computer has experienced network bugs since the zillions of updates the last couple of months. The network was well-connected when I first installed the network drive. Here are some notes of what I've been trying in order
    to avoid duplication of suggestions and replies.

• I have set/reset the router.
    • I have tried uninstalling the recent updates with no change in the situation. After those experiments, I upgraded to Win10 Version 2004 to bring the system back up to date.
    • I have already done the SMB on/off changes and some of the service.msc adjustments with no luck. There may be more from what I've been seeing but there is also no consistency so I'll wait to hear what y'all have to say.
    • All of the devices have been set in "network and sharing" to allow detection and sharing on the network and password protection is disabled.
    • The printers are wired as well and are detected and used by all computers in the house.
    • It is interesting to me that the devices are visible under Network>Media Devices, but the related computers aren't listed under Network>Computer.

My ideas in order of preference:

1. Pray you all to have a solution that involves Windows configurations settings only.
    2. Find software to override Windows 10 Networking and manage my home network (4 Desktops, 2 printers, and a NAS).
    3. Learn how to assign the computers with hard IP addresses and force detection. (But that won't help my NAS.)
    4. Run a repair of Windows 10.
    5. Clean install Windows 10.

Morania, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network

NAS drive not showing in the Network after Windows 10 auto update this week

Hello Charles,

Let's get your NAS device detected on your home network.

Kindly follow the suggested steps below:

Step 1: Disable anti-virus software and Windows Firewall.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software,
    you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Follow the below steps to turn off Windows Firewall:

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel, select
      Category and then select Large or Small icons.
    • Click on Windows Firewall.
    • Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Click Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) under each network location that you want to stop trying to protect, and then click
      OK.
    If the issue still persists,

Step 2: We suggest you to reconfigure the NAS drive.

Refer to the below thread replied by Smithhead 9 replied on
    May 7, 2015

Accessing NAS not working in Windows 10 Technical Preview

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network

1. Windows 10 Fast Startup problem recognizing NAS units on wired network - Similar Threads - Fast Startup problem

2. windows will not recognize nas on private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows will not recognize nas on private network: I have a seagate 2Tb hard drive attaached to router on home network. All computers except this windows 11 S will recognize the NAS as a network drive. Any help is appreciated.I did try deactivating domain and private network firewall. did not work....
  3. windows will not recognize nas on private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows will not recognize nas on private network: I have a seagate 2Tb hard drive attaached to router on home network. All computers except this windows 11 S will recognize the NAS as a network drive. Any help is appreciated.I did try deactivating domain and private network firewall. did not work....
  4. Windows 10 home network NAS connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 home network NAS connection problem: I have windows 10 home version. I installed a NAS drive connected to my router. The only account that can find it is the Administrator account. I have set all of the required setting and yet nothing. Can anyone please help?...
  5. Windows 10 home network NAS connection problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 home network NAS connection problem: I have windows 10 home version. I installed a NAS drive connected to my router. The only account that can find it is the Administrator account. I have set all of the required setting and yet nothing. Can anyone please help?...
  6. Windows 10 home network NAS connection problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Fast Startup Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Problem: Why?? [ATTACH] Pls Help Me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-problem/83b79418-91e7-45d9-b01a-6477e9e54bd3
  8. Windows 10, networks and NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10, networks and NAS: Hi All I have two main PCs that I use on a home network, together with QNAPTS431 box. This setup worked reliably for years under Windows 7. Since "upgrading" reluctantly to Win 10 recently I have had nothing but problems. Connections are slow and unreliable, dropping...
  9. Problems with fast startup.

Problems with fast startup.: So, i have set the fast startup to ON. It works, but sometimes it just automaticallyturns off by itself. I don't do anything. When i turn it back on, it works fine. But after a while, it turns off again....
  10. Fast startup causes shutdown problem

Fast startup causes shutdown problem: Turning off Fast startup under Choose what pushing power button solves a shudown problem. Besides cache, what is Windows anniversary sending to the disk before it actually SHUTSDOWN? 64976