Windows 10: Windows 10 Feature Update | Bricked device - No Safe Mode

Discus and support Windows 10 Feature Update | Bricked device - No Safe Mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've had this computer for a couple of years now, and it is the only machine have that's fast enough to do what I need (I'm a 3D graphics artist... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KBriggs, Jun 4, 2017.

1. KBriggs Win User

Windows 10 Feature Update | Bricked device - No Safe Mode

Hello, I've had this computer for a couple of years now, and it is the only machine have that's fast enough to do what I need (I'm a 3D graphics artist for video games), so I can't do any work at all until I get this fixed (I work from home) so this needs fixing as soon as possible really.

i generally ignore Windows updates, I had horrible experiences with 8 and 8.1 so I avoid them like the plague these days, but it had been pestering me for a while and I had a few hours to kill so I went for it.

i didn't write down the update number but it was a feature update, but I have no information beyond that as I can't get at anything.

the update seemingly downloaded fine, nothing out of the ordinary, computer didn't crash or anything like that, but when the computer wanted to restart I clicked the "Update and Restart" option in the Start menu, it restarted as you'd expect, took about an hour to finalise the update, restarted again, and after the bios and manufacturer loading screens, it just hangs on a black screen with the windows 10 spinning dots about 5 6ths of the way down the screen, and just spins.

initially I thought it was just finalising the update as it had taken so long to download and install it, but after 36 hours uptime I started to get worried, I restarted it, and restarted it, and again, tried unplugging everything and restarting it, ran off onboard graphics and restarted it, nothing, just this blank screen with the loading thing, for hours.

i have looked this up rather extensively over the last 4 days and most people have said that unplugging their wireless mouse dongle fixed it, which is why I unplugged everything but nothing I have tried has worked so far.

as far as safe mode is concerned, normally Windows will suggest safe/recovery mode after 3 failed starts, but Windows doesn't seem to notice it is failing to load, it doesn't seem to care that I have forcibly shut it down either, so I have no access to any kind of recovery mode or anything like that.

no really sure what to do beyond what I have which is why I am here.

sorry for any bad punctuation, I'm on an iPad at the moment, as it is the only thing, apart from a phone that I have with Internet access.

thanks for any help in advance,
    Kyle Briggs.

:)

KBriggs, Jun 4, 2017

2. Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

I can' do anything with my pc. This update has bricked it. I cannot load into safe mode or any ther mode at all. What can I do???

Scary Marcus, Jun 4, 2017
  3. MorganAsh Win User
    Windows 10 restart loop- can't fix

Hi

Tried these, and using an external application, but still no joy.

The latest Windows 10 update has turned my main work machine into a brick, and lost me two days work!

Whatever I do the computer boots into updates, says 75% then immediately reboots. I can get it to sometimes look like it is going into Safe mode ( the message appears in two corners of the screen), but again it reboots immediately before opening Safe mode.

I am at a loss as what to do, and my clients are getting impatient!

Thanks

MorganAsh, Jun 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, some ideas:
    Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles) Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums

(found by google search for
    black screen after creators update
    )

Some find a BIOS update is needed- perhaps your PC is new enough for this not to apply.

Please also note this extremely valuable defensive measure:
    Use disk imaging routinely. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + eternal storage for image sets.

Disk imaging lets you restore Windows and any disk or partition to a previous functional state. Thus you can recover from:
    - an unbootable PC
    - a failed or inaccessible disk (e.g. ransomware)
    - other uncorrectable problems.

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Obtain a flash drive that you are able to format.
    Create a bootable windows 10 iso:

Download Windows 10

Each computer manufacture has a F key to boot to a device. These are available by google search or from the manufacturer.
    If you have a custom computer then you will need to open the bios to change the boot order to boot to the USB flash drive.

Once you boot to the windows 10 flash drive an in place upgrade would allow you to retain files and applications.

First we must see if the computer can boot to the usb flash drive.

If not there are other alternatives.

If you can open administrative command prompt at any time you can boot to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu with this command: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

At this juncture (until you make the bootable windows 10 iso) power off your computer. Then power on and as soon as you see the windows icon power off. Do this one or two times more and see if it takes you to windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

zbook, Jun 4, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Feature Update | Bricked device - No Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Feature Update Bricked

2. msconfig toggle of safe mode reboot immediately defacto bricks a windows 10 PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    msconfig toggle of safe mode reboot immediately defacto bricks a windows 10 PC: I screwed up and tried to boot a windows 10 PC to safe mode to fix a realtek mouse conflict issue by editing msconfig to toggle bootup to safe mode on. the problem is that when the pc booted up it informed me that "something happened and your pin isn't available. Click to set...
  3. msconfig toggle of safe mode reboot immediately defacto bricks a windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msconfig toggle of safe mode reboot immediately defacto bricks a windows 10 PC: I screwed up and tried to boot a windows 10 PC to safe mode to fix a realtek mouse conflict issue by editing msconfig to toggle bootup to safe mode on. the problem is that when the pc booted up it informed me that "something happened and your pin isn't available. Click to set...
  4. msconfig toggle of safe mode reboot immediately defacto bricks a windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  6. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  7. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows 10's PIN feature can brick your device!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10's PIN feature can brick your device!: Hello, I am done with Windows. I see it has some of the worst flaws out there regarding security and performance. No one should depend on a single company when dumb things like this can happen:1. Set up a PIN and/or Microsoft Password to sign in your PC's account. 2. Done?...
  9. New Windows update bricked my device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Windows update bricked my device: Hello! I have an MSI and yesterday after many many notifications that my device requires an update I finally gave in and clicked on Update Now. Everything went fine until my laptop restarted and I was hit with the infamous blue screen YOUR DEVICE RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND...
  10. Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop: Problem I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment. I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and...