Windows 10: Windows 10 file association problem

Discus and support Windows 10 file association problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use Bittorrent sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jagman, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jagman Win User

Windows 10 file association problem

I use Bittorrent sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it out. Win 7 had this ability, and after cleaning out ALL OF BITTORRENT from my SYSTEM, when a torrent link is clicked, it still brings up the window for me to choose: bittorrent or another app and NO SAVE FILE like Win 7 gave us a choice.

BUT in window 10 the only way I can see to disassociate it is with:"control panel/default programs/set association"
    Under "extensions" there is ".torrent" and current default is : "Bittorrent"

But when you go to: CHANGE PROGRAM, it is all OTHER APPS TO CHOOSE FROM.

NO place to delete the firld.. , action to bring up the FILE EXPLORER to SAVE THE FILE

ANYONE??

I use torrents sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it out. Win 7 had this ability, and after uninstalling it, cleaning out all parts of my torrent app, then when a torrent link is clicked, it still brings up the window for me to choose: ONLY A TORRENT APP, at that point I want to save the file. IT WILL NOT ALLOW ME. Win 7 gave us a choice.

BUT in window 10 the only way I can see to disassociate it is with:"control panel/default programs/set association"
    Under "extensions" there is ".torrent" and current default is : "a torrent app"

NO place to delete the field.. , action to bring up the FILE EXPLORER to SAVE THE FILE, it is only other apps.

It seems the 10 wants an association for every suffix regardless. Saving a file it will not allow.
    Win 7 gave us that choice on every download.

ANYONE??
    I use Bittorrent sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it out. Win 7 had this ability, and after cleaning out ALL OF BITTORRENT from my SYSTEM, when a torrent link is clicked, it still brings up the window for me to choose: bittorrent or another app and NO SAVE FILE like Win 7 gave us a choice.

Under "extensions" there is ".torrent" and current default is : "Bittorrent"

NO place to delete the firld.. , action to bring up the FILE EXPLORER to SAVE THE FILE

ANYONE??

:)

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Sep 4, 2017
  3. Microsoft Edge Overrides Default Program for PDF

Zheng,

Let me add my 2 cents here. The file association reset occurs if your PDF software changes the file association settings by itself (as they did in previous OS and all these years). Windows 8 and 10 are different; they introduced hash algorithm for setting
    file type associations.

So, if a program writes to the association keys (that is, without the hash), Windows 10 simply clears those settings and sets the modern apps as the default handler for the file type.

First option is to upgrade the 3rd party program you're using.
    Next step is to configure your program to NOT reset the association by itself. Setting the defaults HAS to be done via Default Apps / Default Programs or via the Open With... dialog...
    The user is in control.

If you've followed all of the above and still the problem persist, then try the registry fix I made two months back, which got some mentions. (InfoWorld
    and others...)

Fix for "An App Default was Reset" Windows 10 Resetting File Associations (Registry Fixes) :

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

How to Stop Edge From Hijacking Your PDF or HTML Associations?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you've not said which browser you're using to download the torrent file.

This is what I see using Firefox (using a suitable add-on for the save option), taking a legitimate torrent as an example:

Windows 10 file association problem [​IMG]

You can only change the association. What happens then depends on the program associated with the extension when such a file is double clicked or 'opened' (as in the browser example).

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  5. jagman Win User
    Thanks, I am using Win 10 with Firefox and this window is the one from Win 7 which I want 10 to have.

this is the win 10 one but no save, JUST "launch app"

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    This is a Firefox question, then, resolved by searching for
    add save as to firefox

Tools, Options,

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  7. jagman Win User
    Always have this clicked but has not worked for many releases. It is ignored and dont know why.

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

If it's not working for you, suggest you take that up in Mozilla's forum.

Also try FF's Safe Mode.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  9. jagman Win User
    I have no idea why Firefox since it gets this INFO FIRST FROM the internet would not give the cmd to Win 10 to save. Win 7 I think does it right. Win 10 never has and has no OPTION TO "SAVE" that I know of. every SUFFIX in the SET ASSOCIATION is an APP.

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  10. jagman Win User
    will try as Mozilla is worst than Microsoft on HELP

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    It works for me as I said- again, try FF's Safe Mode.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  12. jagman Win User
    you mean you "operate" in safe mode all the time? isn't that difficult day to day? I only use safe to debug

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Just try - as in once- FF in its Safe Mode. That's not Windows Safe Mode.

A quick search will tell you how. Means no add-ons enabled e.g.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  14. jagman Win User
    nope, SAFE MODE and a click on a torrent link still opens that stupid Win 10 wanting an APP TO OPEN and FF still has the "Always ask you where to save filesask me" checked.

jagman, Sep 4, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 file association problem - Similar Threads - file association problem

2. File association problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File association problem Windows 10: I've associated .dok files to the program DesktopOK by GPO in order to load a desktop layout upon startup, so that new users can find an workable desktop layout instead of a pack of icons on the left.But it doesn't work. Although the file association script does its job...
  3. File association problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File association problem Windows 10: I've associated .dok files to the program DesktopOK by GPO in order to load a desktop layout upon startup, so that new users can find an workable desktop layout instead of a pack of icons on the left.But it doesn't work. Although the file association script does its job...
  4. File association problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 file association problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file association problems: Windows 11 seems to experience a number of file association problems. For example: all image files are associated with ACDSee but the windows image print window appears whenever I double click an image file. Also: although Acrobat is the chosen pdf file viewer, instead I get...
  6. Windows 11 file association problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file association problems: Windows 11 seems to experience a number of file association problems. For example: all image files are associated with ACDSee but the windows image print window appears whenever I double click an image file. Also: although Acrobat is the chosen pdf file viewer, instead I get...
  7. "File Explorer" association problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "File Explorer" association problem: When I open "any" personal folder, said process opens an App instead, and not "file explorer". So I uninstall that app, reboot, and now when I open "any" personal folder, it opens in some new app, and not "file explorer". So I uninstall that app, reboot, and now opening...
  8. Problem with Associate files

Problem with Associate files: I have installed in my PC Samsung's SideSync which connects my smartphone with my PC Windows 10. By mistake, I associated the exe file of Side Sync with Cerious Thumbplus software. When SideSync opens, the software Thumbplus opens twice. I tried RESET DEFAULT APP but the...
  9. Windows 10 File Associations

Windows 10 File Associations: Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively. The XML seems to apply...
  10. File association problem with .reg and .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    File association problem with .reg and .bat files: Asus laptop with WINDOWS 10 When double clicking a .reg file the default action is merge by running the regedit.exe. On the right-click content menu I have Merge (in bold), edit and print, select edit opens the notepad for editing. In order to prevent from merging the .reg...