Windows 10: Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow

Discus and support Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Frustrated...a bit of a rant.... Ever since I started using Windows 10 I have been having trouble copying large amounts of data to/from external USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NearlyComatose, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow

Frustrated...a bit of a rant....

Ever since I started using Windows 10 I have been having trouble copying large amounts of data to/from external USB drives. I have experienced the same problems across multiple machines and multiple external drives and multiple iterations of Windows 10. The latest machine to exhibit these problems is a new super high performance gaming rig with the latest fastest hardware available and a fresh install of Windows 10. I'm using USB 3.0 drives plugged into USB 3.0 ports. "Small" file copies of 1 - 2 Gigabytes will work but are slow, with the copies take several minutes to complete and the speeds in the 10/20 MB/sec range or less. Using drive performance test utilities, the same drives on the same ports on the same machine show transfer speeds of nearly 500MB/sec, and so clearly there is something wrong with the Windows Explorer file copy code. Last night I tried to drag 100GB worth of photos off of an SD card and onto an external USB drive. After 45 minutes Windows still said "calculating time for copy" or some such thing. I gave up, cancelled the task, came into work, and performed the same operation on my Mac, and the entire copy was done in under 35 minutes.

I have Googled for solutions and consequently have seen a LOT of posts on the Internet with people complaining about the same thing, and always the troubleshooter suggests a hardware issue. They give answers like "run the troubleshooter", or "repair/optimize the drive", or "disable anti-virus" (a catch-all suggestion for just about every PC issue), as well as tons of unrelated fix suggestions like "change the following TCP/IP network properties". None of these things address what I think is the real problem, and that is some inherent performance issue associated with doing file copies using Windows 10 Explorer. I have NEVER seen a file transfer go faster than 40 MB/sec on a Windows 10 machine, and even that speed is rare, usually dropping back to 10 - 20 MB/sec after the first few seconds.

Is ANYONE out there able to copy large files to/from USB drives at high rates of speed (100 MB/Sec - 500 MB/sec) using Windows 10 Explorer? If so enlighten me, and then I will at least know that it is possible. But until then I will have to assume that W10 Explorer is not simply not capable of efficiently performing one of the most basic OS tasks. It is just astounding to me that a piece of software can so effectively cripple high speed hardware.

:)

NearlyComatose, Oct 24, 2019
  2. lZKoce Win User

Slow speeds when copying on external drive

Hi all,

since I installed TeraCopy I started to monitor my copy speeds and they are un-usually slow. Here is a real example. Laptop specs are in my profile, I have 3 USB 3.0 ports + 1 Super charge (the yellow one). Regular 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive. It copies at exactly 6MB/s from my laptop. I put it on another weaker specs laptop- 16MB/s, (same flash drive, same file). I hoked to a 10 years old DELL laptop- same result- 16mb/s. Tried with external HDD, same slow copy speeds from my USB ports. Seriously?

One solution I saw was to go to Device manager->Drives->Policies and switch to "Better performance", but use the icon to unplug the drive. Haven't tested with my drive, but another showed no difference at all.

I have no un-recognized devices on the list:

Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow Device%20manager%201.png

lZKoce, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Slow speeds when copying on external drive

Slow Speed

Hiii..... Since you are facing from slow speed problems.. You need to take care of your computer very well otherwise it may stuck some day later.. So, first perform disk cleanup so that all your cookies are clear, update your PC with some antivirus. You can follow the steps and I belive it will be helpful for you.

USB storage devices can be optimized for either quick removal or performance. If optimized for quick removal, data transfer can potentially be reduced to a crawl.

To optimize your USB drive for performance:
    1.Right click on the USB drive and select properties
    2.Select the Hardware tab
    3.Under All Disk Drives, highlight your USB drive and select Properties
    4.Select the Policies tab and select Optimize for performance.
    5.Press OK twice, and your transfer speeds should increase dramatically
    Note that when your drive is optimized for performance you'll need to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the taskbar to eject the drive - otherwise you'll risk corrupting your data by just removing the drive from the port.

mariamenounous, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow

1. Windows 10 file copies to external devices excruciatingly slow - Similar Threads - file copies external

2. Window 11 is excruciatingly slow on a brand new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 is excruciatingly slow on a brand new laptop.: So, I have a new laptop, its only weeks old, and out of the box it runs perfectly but, windows has become unuasable in the last 2 weeks.Boot times are slower by almost a minuite, I cant log in most times, and after putting my laptop on sleep it crashes in the lock screen,...
  3. Window 11 is excruciatingly slow on a brand new laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 is excruciatingly slow on a brand new laptop.: So, I have a new laptop, its only weeks old, and out of the box it runs perfectly but, windows has become unuasable in the last 2 weeks.Boot times are slower by almost a minuite, I cant log in most times, and after putting my laptop on sleep it crashes in the lock screen,...
  4. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  5. Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer started running excruciatingly slow all the sudden.: My computer all the sudden started working really slowly for even the smallest of tasks. literally anything I do now is excruciatingly slow. Opening chrome, opening file explorer, typing, even drawing the selection boxes on the desktop. The mouse moves smooth though still....
  6. Slow Copy Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Copy Windows 10: This reopens an old discussion which was never solved reliably. I ask that moderators please not provide canned responses but instead escalate the problem to the development teams for analysis. Problem: file copy slows to a crawl in Windows 10. This happens using a...
  7. VAIO PC excruciatingly slow for unknown reason

VAIO PC excruciatingly slow for unknown reason: Hi, I'm primarily a Mac person, coming back to windows on this PC cause its the only one in the house with an optical drive. Last windows OS I used was XP, and I'm totally lost in 10. As I understand (I am not the primary user of this computer) the OS has recently been...
  8. Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10: [ATTACH] We copy and move a lot of files around on our computer. And most of the copying takes place to and from external devices. If due to some issues, you face slow copy or move speed, then this post may [...] This post Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10 is from...
  9. Copying to external Hdd very slow

Copying to external Hdd very slow: Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The windows-version is 10 pro. Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc. I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my...
  10. slow complicated file copying

in Windows 10 Support
    slow complicated file copying: I am using Win10 10240. I have a problem copying a large number of big files. The setup is a bit tortuous. The source is an old WD Cloud NAS on ethernet via my ethernet connected router. The destination is an external hard drive on USB3.0 Using file explorer, I drag a...