Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Earlier this morning it started lightly blinking, would happen a few times and then stop and then maybe do it again within the hour maybe not. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by texmcc, May 2, 2019.

1. texmcc Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely

Earlier this morning it started lightly blinking, would happen a few times and then stop and then maybe do it again within the hour maybe not. Then File Expl. started moving my usb drives around, stayed in "This PC" view/folder but would switch E: with R: and then swap another two, and carried this on every so often for about 2 hrs. Now I open file explore and "This PC" view has been combined with "Desktop" view. It's baffling. I killed the process via Process Explorer and later tried restarting my PC and it started doing it again.

Anyone know what would cause this or how to fix it?

Sorry I forgot to specify, I am on Windows 10 Pro 1809

:)

texmcc, May 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 2, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    File Explorer acting Strange again (still)

Hello,

Windows 10 may have encountered a corrupted system file that caused this issue. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the following questions:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10? To check type in
      winver on the search bar and press Enter.
    • Is this also happening on another user account? Are you using an Administrator account?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you
    boot your Windows 10 into safe mode
    and perform the following steps:

• Open Task Manager by right clicking the taskbar.
    • Click More details at the bottom to expand the Task Manager window.
    • Under the Processes tab, look for Windows Explorer.
    • After selecting the Windows Explorer, click the Restart
      button at the bottom.
    • It may take a few seconds and things like your taskbar and Start menu may disappear momentarily, but when it restarts, things should behave better and you can exit Task Manager.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, May 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely

Explorer Crashes and Acts Strange

Shortly after upgrading to windows 10, I started experiencing problems with explorer.

• When I open a folder in File Explorer, it will open in a new window.
    • When I make any changes to files, (making new files, renaming files, editing files, moving files, etc.) explorer will restart completely.
    I have tried running sfc /scannow with administrator privileges and came up with no errors. I tried doing a clean install, but was given a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen and all the changes were undone.

Any help is appreciated.

Rayquaza01, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely

1. Windows 10 File Explorer acting strangely - Similar Threads - File Explorer acting

2. Computer acting strange

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer acting strange: There seems to be something blocking my input. When I hear a chime that a device has been plugged in my mouse and keyboard stop functioning like normal. Once this chime is heard the computer will not even accept input from the on screen keyboard. When I try to use a right...
  3. Computer acting strange

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer acting strange: Recently I've had a very strange issue with my computer. Upon booting up it will not accept most input from my keyboard or mouse. What's so odd about it is that some things will work and some things won't. If I don't put in my PIN number quick enough and the keyboard stops...
  4. Display acting strange

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display acting strange: I’m not sure what these lines mean, if anyone can help that’d be really nice, before i reset I tried changing drivers and it did not work. The lines do not appear in bios though....
  5. Deleted files acting strange

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted files acting strange: So when I delete my files, they go to the recycle bin. But they also leave remnants behind which properties shows to be 0kB in size. I can't delete this remnant. This happens with pictures, folders, everything. It goes away when I delete it, sure. But once I reboot or switch...
  6. Windows apps acting strange

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows apps acting strange: Latley Ive had in issue with windows apps acting strange This is only in windows apps, Start Menu, Settings, Xbox Ive linked a video to showcase the issue https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SXs2wztCGS71yZ4WsClB9_ciYVse01-l/view?usp=sharing...
  7. desktop acting strange

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop acting strange: It is as if the devil took my working desktop w/ w10, cntl/alt del wont bring up task master. web sites change font size if I try to scroll using mouse wheel. cortina wont input. the list goes on and on. And then if i wait long enough, (10 -20 minutes) things start working....
  8. Windows Security Acting Strange

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security Acting Strange: Running into a strange bug with Windows security that I haven't been able to figure out: I have Windows security active on my PC, nothing out of the ordinary there. With a recent update Windows security has been informing me when it blocks changes to the system. These blocks...
  9. Windows Explorer acting strangely..

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer acting strangely..: Explorer annoyed me with it's quick access thing making me wait and grouping things the way it wants and effectively putting things out of sight... so I disabled it via the view/options thing. and that worked for maybe ten minutes. Until I next shut down windows explorer...
  10. DVD IS ACTING STRANGE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD IS ACTING STRANGE: HI I JUST PURCHASED A NEW HP ELITE X2 1012 G2. I HAVE A PLUG AND PLAY LG DVD DRIVE. I PLUG IT IN AND WINDOWS SEES IT THEN I PUT THE DVD IN. THE WINDOWS SAYS IT NEEDS A PLAYER FROM THE STORE. SO I DOWNLOADED THE PLAYER AND IT STILL WANTS A PLAYER? I WENT INTO THE PLAYER AND...