Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 File Explorer will not allow me to open any files using a double click or using Open With... I have no issue opening File Explorer just the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CTMaverick, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...

Windows 10 File Explorer will not allow me to open any files using a double click or using Open With... I have no issue opening File Explorer just the inability to open a selected file.

Previously both a double click and Open With... worked as they should allowing any file to open. Now I can only open files from the associated application (e.g. MSWord > Open > .docx file). Properties show correct application association for the file type to open. It stopped working soon after I renewed my Office 365 subscription.

Anyone have an idea on how to get File Explorer to open a selected file?

P.S. A web search for this issue only brings up content where File Explorer is not working at all. This is NOT the case. The only issue I have as stated above is trying to open selected files.

:)

CTMaverick, Feb 1, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 1, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...

File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With... - Similar Threads - File Explorer file

2. Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.: So I found an issue with double clicking my files. So when I double click my files, it will not open it up. I find this really, REALLY annoying to me. This also applies for disks, folders, media files, and others. This even happens for software that can open files on the File...
  3. Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.: So I found an issue with double clicking my files. So when I double click my files, it will not open it up. I find this really, REALLY annoying to me. This also applies for disks, folders, media files, and others. This even happens for software that can open files on the File...
  4. Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the...: I began having a very frustrating issue lately. I am on a PC, using Windows 10. After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the files/apps won't open that way. For instance, if want to open a Word file, now I must open Word and then...
  6. After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the...: I began having a very frustrating issue lately. I am on a PC, using Windows 10. After years of using File Explorer and double clicking on files to open them, now the files/apps won't open that way. For instance, if want to open a Word file, now I must open Word and then...
  7. Using double-click to open files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using double-click to open files: Recently, I can no longer use double-click to open files either from desktop icons or within sub-files. I have to left click to select, then right-click, then move cursor to "open, then left-click open. This is a great degradation in performance. Will this be reversed or...
  8. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  9. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...
  10. double clicking on a file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    double clicking on a file in file explorer: when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?...