Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I regularly search for specific filenames in various folders. Sometimes the list of filenames can be a few, sometimes it can be in the hundreds. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mark_MTR, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Mark_MTR Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits

I regularly search for specific filenames in various folders. Sometimes the list of filenames can be a few, sometimes it can be in the hundreds. In general, I create a boolean search that resembles the following:

*name1 OR *name2 OR *name3 OR *name4 .... etc

For the most part this works if the list is not too long approximately 25 filenames. Anything above that and Windows only displays 25 results. It doesn't matter if the characters in the filenames are long or short, it always locks to 25 files in the results even though I pasted more than 25 filenames in the search box. It doesn't seem to care about character limit, just the number of files. I work around it by breaking the list down into groups of 25 and that seems to work but if there are hundreds, this can get tedious.

Is there a way to increase this limit?

:)

Mark_MTR, Mar 30, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Boolean Search with Cortana

Does Cortana search support the same boolean (AND, OR, NOT) logic as file explorer?

For example I want to search for text files that contain the terms Cat AND Dog.

GriffinFeller, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - Boolean Search Limits - Similar Threads - File Explorer Boolean

2. Adequate work-around for date search limitation in Windows 10 File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adequate work-around for date search limitation in Windows 10 File Explorer?: Much seems to have been said about the difficulty that emerged, some 2 years ago, in accessing the Search Ribbon on Windows 10 File Explorer – and then to be presented with the limited eight options ‘today’ to ‘last year’ available for date search. For doing just a specific...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 File Explorer search issues: Having issues with file search on both my desktop and laptop. the laptop is new and the desktop was just upgraded to windows 10, so I'm not super familiar with Windows 10 just yet, I had been using windows 7 with no issues with this scenario. The desktop is Windows 10 pro,...
  4. File Explorer Search Date Limited

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search Date Limited: I have updated to Windows 10 Ver. 2004. Ever since the update the search feature of File Explorer is acting weird. I have a folder with folders and files dating back to 2007. When I do a search for Adobe PDF files (there are hundreds going back to 2007) I only get the PDF...
  5. Windows File Explorer Search

Windows File Explorer Search: I used to always search for a file with a name or subject and could get a large list of items. Now, the search will only search the recent month even when I have no dates chosen. I even tried to choose dates and modified for last 5 years and will only bring up items from the...
  6. Windows Explorer and searching files

Windows Explorer and searching files: Normally when I open an explorer window and lets say click DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS, the display quickly and automaticatcally displays whatever I click on. Occationally when I click on DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS or any other folder for that matter, I see the Quick Access green bar...
  7. File search in Windows 10 Explorer

File search in Windows 10 Explorer: How do I search file contents for keywords that contain special characters (i.e., ':') in Explorer? I've enabled Search File Contents in the Advanced Search Options, but search does not return anything if my key word contains non-alphanumeric characters, such as colon (:)...
  8. Search in file explorer - windows 10

in Cortana
    Search in file explorer - windows 10: Hello. Is it possible to search in file explorer (windows 10) for specific files based on a time, but not date? Regards, Leif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-file-explorer-windows-10/807da9a3-2e13-4c8c-b394-298a8acb7a78"
  9. Search in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Search in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 The Search Box in File Explorer allows you to find and view all your files and folders in one place. As you type in the Search Box, a simple search through the index begins to...
  10. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...