Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir"

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Maybe I'm being dense and missing out on File Explorer functionality, but I've stuck with using the DOS cmd prompt and DIR. Here's an example for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChristopherLamb4, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir"

Maybe I'm being dense and missing out on File Explorer functionality, but I've stuck with using the DOS cmd prompt and DIR. Here's an example for which DIR works, but I can't get FE to provide the same results.

dir /s /O:GD /N *.nb

searches the current folder and all of its subfolders to show, by folder and date, the long form of info on all files having extension .nb Typically, I append "> somefilename" to house the results, but that's optional I'd be much obliged if someone could show me how to accomplish this in File Explorer.

:)

ChristopherLamb4, Mar 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    dir Difficulties

DIR uses whatever time definition you tell it to use. Following command would list all files and folders in X:\Downloads in order they have been created:

dir X:\Downloads /t:c

DIR is fully capable to sort files and folders. Following command would list all files in X:\Downloads, oldest first:

dir X:\Downloads /o:d

The minus sign before a parameter reverses the results, so the following command would list the same folder in reversed order, newest first:

dir X:\Downloads /o:-d

You can also combine switches. Following command would list all files and folders in X:\Downloads and all its subfolders (the /s switch), listing them in newest first based on time of file / folder creation:

dir X:\Downloads /s /o:-d /t:c

Kari, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir"

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 File Explorer  capabilities vs. "dir" :p

Frick, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir"

1. Windows 10 File Explorer capabilities vs. "dir" - Similar Threads - File Explorer capabilities

2. explorer local files vs OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer local files vs OneDrive: How to make my local documents, pictures etc available in explorer, and do not redirect me to OneDrive all the time ?That's the worst file manager design so far. You just have no idea where are you files actually placed, complete mess....
  3. explorer local files vs OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer local files vs OneDrive: How to make my local documents, pictures etc available in explorer, and do not redirect me to OneDrive all the time ?That's the worst file manager design so far. You just have no idea where are you files actually placed, complete mess....
  4. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  5. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  6. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

7. File Explorer 11 vs 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer 11 vs 10: Is there a way for me to be able to see inside a file folder, when looking at multiple folders? Specific folders only have four or five photos in each and I need to be able to see at least part of the first photo. Prior to Windows 10 I could see the whole first picture. Then...
  8. File Explorer 11 vs 10

File Explorer 11 vs 10: Is there a way for me to be able to see inside a file folder, when looking at multiple folders? Specific folders only have four or five photos in each and I need to be able to see at least part of the first photo. Prior to Windows 10 I could see the whole first picture. Then...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer--"Quick Access" vs "This PC" vs "Windows C:"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer--"Quick Access" vs "This PC" vs "Windows C:": When I open File Explorer, I can scroll down to "Windows C:" and work my way through several layers of subdirectories to get to my "Documents" directory which contains all of my Word files. I can also find a subdirectory called "Documents" near the top under "Quick Access."...
  10. Adobe Acrobat OCR capability vs. scanner OCR capability, and editing in Acrobat vs. MSWord...

Adobe Acrobat OCR capability vs. scanner OCR capability, and editing in Acrobat vs. MSWord...: Hello, all. I am planning to create editable text files from old essays and academic papers which I only have hard (paper) copies of. By means of this, I may rework the originals, changing grammar and adding additional material. I think that I can achieve this by either: (1)...