Windows 10: Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings...

Discus and support Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I discovered some while ago that when I change the settings for File Explorer in one instance, the settings are not replicated to a new instance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Stephen_Ford, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings...

I discovered some while ago that when I change the settings for File Explorer in one instance, the settings are not replicated to a new instance created from that instance on the task bar.

I was told in a question that this is normal behaviour.

The new instance gets the same settings as when the first instance is opened - the default settings. This really limits my productivity. If I am viewing files and select new settings, I will invariably want a new instance of FE with the new settings. Not the defaults.

Surely I can't be the only one who wants this. And this behavior could be configurable ie "Copy settings from current instance to new instance yes/no?" It seems an obvious behavior and I am surprised that MS have not included it.

:)

Stephen_Ford, Nov 9, 2018

2. new instances of file explorer have a copy of the current explorer settings not those from the quick launch icon

A quick launch file explorer icon starts FE without file preview. If file preview is activated and then a new instance of FE is started from the QL bar, that instance has file preview activated. How can I make all new instances of FE start with the original
    icon settings?

Stephen_Ford, Nov 9, 2018
  3. "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

When I turn on my Laptop, dialogue box show "object reference not set to an instance of an object" problem. Any suggestion ,How to fix that one ?

vineetpandey82, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings...

new instances of file explorer have a copy of the current explorer settings not those from the quick launch icon

The Icon you speak of is just a simple shortcut to an applications .exe file wherever it is located within the systems file structure and nothing else. This is the way it has always has been. Just as with any app or program the settings for it's behavior
    are done within the app or program itself. When you close it down and start it back up later the last settings within it that were made will be the same as they were when it was last shutdown. (unless it is a simple portable app that can only revert to it's
    default settings every time that it is shutdown).

Do note however that multiple instances of File Explorer can be opened then minimized to the taskbar then called back up for use that will hold the settings made in each instance. Then, you can close each one with the different settings then open the same
    folder again from the right-click menu on the file explorer pinned to taskbar icon context menu and it will open to the same view setting it was at before shutting it down (at least on Win 10 Pro x64). Will it hold this after a device shutdown and start, I
    don't know, I normally use all instances of FE without switching view mode individually but I'll check tomorrow after I have shutdown the device for the night then startup again in the morrow.

Hope this helps,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings...

1. Windows 10 file explorer copies settings from one instance to another. Instance settings... - Similar Threads - file explorer copies

2. Remapping one Appkey instance as another in the Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remapping one Appkey instance as another in the Registry Editor: I have a Logitech keyboard with extra keys for media, calculator etc. I know that I can remap them to open applications instead by inserting a ShellExecute String Value with the path of the related app in the corresponding AppKey entry for example:...
  3. Remapping one Appkey instance as another in the Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remapping one Appkey instance as another in the Registry Editor: I have a Logitech keyboard with extra keys for media, calculator etc. I know that I can remap them to open applications instead by inserting a ShellExecute String Value with the path of the related app in the corresponding AppKey entry for example:...
  4. Remapping one Appkey instance as another in the Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File Explorer: removing one drive instances

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: removing one drive instances: I have 4 instances of Onedrive. 2 are my personal accounts and 2 are from a company I no longer work for and want to delete them from file explorer.i have delinked them and I have removed them from my C drive user folder - I really want to delete them from my computer file...
  6. how to get more than one instance of file explorer

how to get more than one instance of file explorer: I used to right-click File Explorer in the task bar and I'd get a new instance of File Explorer. Now, it shows me a list of folders. Left-click gives me an instance of File Explorer. If I left-click again it closes that instance. Then click it again, I get the one instance....
  7. "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".: Hello, The problem appears in Visual Studio, that when I try to create a new Project, it always drops the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I have uninstalled and installed Visual Studio, multiple times, but the problem appears always. Also, I...
  8. Multiple instances of Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of Windows Explorer: Opened up task manager and saw that in the Processes tab, there were 41 instances of Windows Explorer running. I open WE frequently but only one or two at the same time and didn't have any open at that time. And it's not just a temporary thing, I have been checking...
  9. another instance is running......

another instance is running......: every time i open my computer, it will pop a message——another instance is running. i don't konw what happened.i wonder how to find the error but there are no approches to search it. and i have not met any questions by now.however it is annoyed for me to see that message....
  10. "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "object reference not set to an instance of an object": Hi guys, I'm trying to download some you tube songs...I updated to the new version (4.1.509) & I get this message. I did the same with win7 & it worked fine. Can some body please advise? 51766