Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Since last Windows 10 Update, File Explorer crashes frequently. One of such crashes happens trying opening the Properties window for a 5TB WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AvidAgate1, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB

Hi,

Since last Windows 10 Update, File Explorer crashes frequently.

One of such crashes happens trying opening the Properties window for a 5TB WD hard disk while using a non-administrator account.

The same operation tried with an administrator account don't crashes, but report wrong figures for disk space used and available. It looks like a formatting error, as total capacity is reported correctly, and the Disk Administrator tool reports all disk data correctly.

Any idea of what is happening or if there any fix available?

:)

AvidAgate1, Dec 27, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 27, 2018
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB

OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CWindows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CWindows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB

1. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes and Shows Wrong Properties for Disks Larger than 4TB - Similar Threads - File Explorer Crashes

2. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  3. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  5. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

"Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  6. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  7. Wrong file size in Properties

Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  8. Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Files showing wrong dates in Explorer on Windows 10: A Windows 10 PC user reported noticing some odd issues with Dates & Times for some files being wrong in File Explorer. Some newly downloaded files will end up with Dates listed as a decade old. The Created/Modified dates in Properties of the file are correct, but it’s still...
  9. Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is: I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird issues with my torrent client that downloads to this hard drive. Originally I reinstalled my torrent client but that didn't...
  10. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 explorer having issues with 4tb hdd