Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer crashing when I open or edit files

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer crashing when I open or edit files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I encountered this problem yesterday and i can't seem to find a solution anywhere.*Redface I can open the Windows File Explorer. But it seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by humleflue, Nov 15, 2015.

1. humleflue Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer crashing when I open or edit files

Hi!
    I encountered this problem yesterday and i can't seem to find a solution anywhere.*Redface
    I can open the Windows File Explorer. But it seems to crash whenever I: Open a picture, edit a document, move files etc…
    I’ve already tried to run a "sfc /scannow"-test, but with no luck.
    Hope someone can help.
    - Lasse

:)

humleflue, Nov 15, 2015
  2. StuMac52 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing and Restarting On All 4 Of My Computers

I began using Explorer++ because File Explorer is near unusable. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect either because it still caused explorer to crash when Explorer++ would use File Explorer or shell functions. When I did a re-install of Windows 10, I did not
    install Explorer++ until File Explorer started failing. For test purposes, I've delete Explorer++ it and cleaned up the registry (there's no install/uninstall app).

When I open "Recent Items" in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, explorer crashes.

In Safe Mode, opening Recent Items does not cause explorer to crash however, it still crashes when creation a folder and still shows double libraries etc.

StuMac52, Nov 15, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    where is documents folder in windows10

Open Windows File Explorer, on the top is your Library Folders (including your Documents Library), right click any of them and choose 'Send to - Desktop (create Shortcut), done!

EDIT: do not right click one of your Library folders in the tree view on the left in Windows File Explorer - this will crash Windows File Explorer!

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer crashing when I open or edit files

1. Windows 10 File Explorer crashing when I open or edit files - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashing

2. File Explorer crashing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashing in Windows 10: What steps can I take to sort this out? File explorer won't open from the taskbar or from windows search. When I do get file explorer to open (using dropbox app), file explorer crashes quickly....
  3. File Explorer crashes when searching Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when searching Windows 10: When I look for some term in the "search in quick access" in windows explorer, after writing some letters, it crashes and then the explorer returns after some seconds. I have Windows 10 updated....
  4. File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening: Totally frustrated. I am a SW developer for the last 20 years... And I cannot open the w10 file explorer without it being crashed or hanged. Sometimes windows will be kind and open it when right clicking and sometimes not. This is totally unbelievable. I even don't feel...
  5. File Explorer Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Crash: I can't open it and I can not do anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/file-explorer-crash/c7cfbc10-affd-4e22-828f-d70429c6c910
  6. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer: i think it happens when i stress out my pc too much, but the thing is, it seems that even opening explorer (mycomputer, other folders) triggers it, and i dont think that should happen. when it does, it keeps rebooting, sometimes for 20 minutes. it doesnt get to the windows...
  7. File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Crashing: Hello, so i am trying to open file explorer on my laptop from the start menu and where it is pinned on the start menu. When i do this, file explorer opens for a couple of seconds and closes on both. When this happens, I also hear the hard drive make a noise inside. I can...
  8. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915
  9. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...
  10. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer crashes when i right click: This is the first issue i have had with windows 10 ever since installing it in august. Ever since yesterday whenever i click on a file in the file explorer window it will gray out and stop working. Unlike the average hang this one will stay grayed out for about 5 to 10...