Windows 10: Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

Discus and support Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created at the bottom of the top... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JGreg7, Mar 23, 2021.

1. JGreg7 Win User

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created at the bottom of the top directory listing when I download the next file. I then have to either save to the phantom new directory, or scroll to the real directory. see image

The reason this is a problem is that if I save to different sub-directories in the desired directory, I have to scroll back up to the original directory. A bit of a nuisance for no apparent reason.

This seems to be an undesired Windows 10 feature.

Any ideas how to disable this?

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download 57d66e4f-c657-4085-b2c5-53912f29324f?upload=true.png

:)

JGreg7, Mar 23, 2021
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

1. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download - Similar Threads - File Explorer creates

2. windows 10 file explorer copy function problem which creates duplicate files with...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 file explorer copy function problem which creates duplicate files with...: I dont know why does Microsoft make life complicated whenever they increment their OS . WINDOWS 7 had very good function of copy and paste which used to prompt to keep or replace same name files. however in WINDOWS 10 it creates same files with suffix "-copy" so when i copied...
  3. windows 10 file explorer copy function problem which creates duplicate files with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 file explorer copy function problem which creates duplicate files with...: I dont know why does Microsoft make life complicated whenever they increment their OS . WINDOWS 7 had very good function of copy and paste which used to prompt to keep or replace same name files. however in WINDOWS 10 it creates same files with suffix "-copy" so when i copied...
  4. windows 10 file explorer copy function problem which creates duplicate files with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates apparent duplicate directory on file download

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates apparent duplicate directory on file download: When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created when I download the next file. The focus is then placed upon this new directory. In Example: I have a top directory, with several sub directories. The...
  6. Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names: If I was downloading a string of picture files from a site, one at a time, I USED to get an overwrite file with same name warning. Now it just automatically downloads the new file with the same name with a number added to differentiate. Problem is, I wind up with a...
  7. File History has created a duplicate directory?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History has created a duplicate directory?: I'm using File History to backup to an NAS. I noticed two days ago a duplicate directory has been created on the NAS at: > ThisPC > Data (\\NAS) (L:) > sxxxe So now in that location I have: JAY-DESKTOPDELL JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2) Why is there now a duplicate directory and how...
  8. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents: I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates....
  9. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  10. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....