Windows 10: Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing

Discus and support Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File explorer suddenly freezes up when I want to view the downloads folder. It says 'working on it ...' but I am not able to access that folder. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 514Rae, Nov 30, 2019.

1. 514Rae Win User

Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing

File explorer suddenly freezes up when I want to view the downloads folder. It says 'working on it ...' but I am not able to access that folder.

I have checked the properties of the downloads folder, it is checked to 'general', but also checked to 'read only'. I have unchecked the 'read only' mark, but folder properties revert back to 'read only'.

I have run all possible hardware and operating system tests, but cannot find a problem.

:)

514Rae, Nov 30, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Gencijs Win User
    File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 file explorer - downloads folder keeps crashing - Similar Threads - file explorer downloads

2. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  3. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder keeps crashing: Hello All!I have Windows 10 PRO. I got a 32GB, Intel i9 I was trying to download a PDF doc from my Google drive. The PDF doc was a few papers that I scanned myself. It was not some random doc from the internet The file name was VoltageB.pdfIt had 8 pages. I just needed pages...
  4. Downloads folder keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.: Hello Microsoft Team,I need help as when I attempt to open the downloads folder through file explorer my whole file explorer freezes, and then crashes. A cause of this may be that before this freeze started occuring, I multiple selected a few files and may have accidentaly...
  6. My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My File Explorer Keeps Crashing after clicking the Downloads Folder.: Hello Microsoft Team,I need help as when I attempt to open the downloads folder through file explorer my whole file explorer freezes, and then crashes. A cause of this may be that before this freeze started occuring, I multiple selected a few files and may have accidentaly...
  7. File explorer keeps freezing on downloads folder Windows 10

File explorer keeps freezing on downloads folder Windows 10: Whenever I open file explorer, it freezes whenever I click on the downloads folder. I can access all the other folders just fine, but downloads will not work no matter what I do. I've tried a lot of fixes, but none of them work. Any fixes?...
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing

Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 10.0.19041.488 Application Timestamp: b1a44bf9 Fault Module Name: shcore.dll Fault Module...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing: Hi. My File Explorer app keeps crashing and doesn't allow me to copy or open my files. Very frustrating, yet intermittent problem. Any idea how to fix this problem? When I query the crash, I get the following info: Description A problem caused this program to stop...
  10. Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing

Windows explorer downloads folder keeps crashing: Hi, I am using windows 10 Education (1803). For some reason the downloads folder keeps not responding. Every time I select a file that isn't a folder it loads forever and says "(not responding)". Its so annoying cause I can not even move the files. As soon I select the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 downloads folder keeps crashing