Windows 10: windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details

Discus and support windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; using windows 10 file explorer, copy a file by right click, for example. paste to a different folder. if a file of the same name exists, it displays a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ErwinPantuca, Feb 7, 2020.

1. windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details

using windows 10 file explorer, copy a file by right click, for example. paste to a different folder.

if a file of the same name exists, it displays a message to replace etc. but it does not indicate the details of each file, like in windows xp.

:)

ErwinPantuca, Feb 7, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 7, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Feb 7, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details

1. windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details - Similar Threads - file explorer file

2. Is there a procedure to copy all file details in file explorer not just the basic file name...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a procedure to copy all file details in file explorer not just the basic file name...: WIN10 Question - Does anyone know a procedure/command to copy all or at least specifically selected file directory/folder DETAILS* file explorer column headings into workable text/text file for data processing and not just the file path name only via the standard CTRL+A and...
  3. Is there a procedure to copy all file details in file explorer not just the basic file name...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a procedure to copy all file details in file explorer not just the basic file name...: WIN10 Question - Does anyone know a procedure/command to copy all or at least specifically selected file directory/folder DETAILS* file explorer column headings into workable text/text file for data processing and not just the file path name only via the standard CTRL+A and...
  4. Is there a procedure to copy all file details in file explorer not just the basic file name...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to copy and paste but keep both the same file name file because Windows 10 has no such...

How to copy and paste but keep both the same file name file because Windows 10 has no such...: I want to copy and paste files from my iPhone to an external hard drive disk by Windows 10. But, some files have the same file names. The Windows 10 Copy File Window shows only two options “Copy and Replace” and “Don’t copy”. How to copy and paste but keep both the same file...
  6. Copy details in properties in one file to multiple files in the same folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy details in properties in one file to multiple files in the same folder: Hi I am in the process of transferring [ripping] all my CDs to my laptop [Windows 10].In most cases some of the details which are provided in the CD notes are not transferred to the properties for individual tracks; eg conductors; artists etc are missing or incorrect.I am...
  7. File explorer crashes during file copy-paste in Windows 10

File explorer crashes during file copy-paste in Windows 10: Hi friends, I am using Windows 10 on my laptop. The so-called Windows Explorer crashes right in the middle of a file move operation, leaving me with two corrupted parts of the same file. This SUCKS, I've experienced this many times before. Kindly tell me a solution to...
  8. File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste

File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste: I've been trying to copy, paste and delete files on a couple of USB sticks and I've just run into problem after problem. Usually everything works fine, but today I've had some really weird things happen. When I was trying to copy and paste files, it said I could copy and...
  9. Pasting copied images to File Explorer

Pasting copied images to File Explorer: Yesterday I could copy images from a browser and paste them straight to the file explorer. The assigned name consisted of random numbers and letters but the whole point is that I could copy and paste the image straight to the desired folder or any other program. I'm trying it...
  10. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...