Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 and notice the following things when using file explorer: 1. 1. When I place the cursor over the documents folder, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DwightNicholson, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

I am using Windows 10 and notice the following things when using file explorer:

1. 1. When I place the cursor over the documents folder, it shows the size as 9.09 GB instead of the 6.63 GB as shown in the properties box when I right click on the documents folder.

2. 2. Also, when I open the documents folder, select all the sub-folders and files, then right-click/properties, I get 8.60 GB - instead of the 6.63GB OR 9.09 GB (referred to in item #1 above).

W Why aren't these numbers consistent?

vv

Als

:)

DwightNicholson, Dec 5, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 5, 2018
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Dec 5, 2018
  4. geno368 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent - Similar Threads - File Explorer #files

2. file explorer folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer folder: I just noticed the following folder in File Explorer. What is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-folder/b5d88c0c-cffa-481c-bca0-5f742d4576e2
  3. File explorer search function showing inconsistency

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer search function showing inconsistency: I have a file that I am looking for called "esptool.exe". I did a search in "This PC" and I found the file I am looking for: [ATTACH] When I check the properties of this file I find it is in "C:\Users\USER\Documents\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32\tools\esptool":...
  4. DVD burner not shown in file explore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD burner not shown in file explore: Have desktop that was running Ubuntu OS and all devise worked. Decided to change OS to Windows 10 Home which was installed using existing DVD/CD. The drive is an ASUS DWR-241ST that show in bios and disk management but does not show in file explore. Have tried windows...
  5. File Timestamp inconsistencies

in Windows 10 Support
    File Timestamp inconsistencies: First example: DISMRepairLogFile.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour ahead of actual time. However, the individual entries in the content of the file are correct. Second Example: SrtTrail.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent: I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way: 1 2 2.5 3 However, if they are files, the order will...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent: I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way: 1 2 2.5 3 However, if they are files, the order...
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage: I'm attempting to determine how much space a folder is using in Windows 10 File Explorer. I right-click the Properties and see that it says on 20Gb when I know it's much more. I then use an alternative app (TreeSize) and it calculates the storage used on the same folder as a...
  9. Files not shown in Windows Explorer

Files not shown in Windows Explorer: Just upgraded to latest version of Windows 10. Many of my newer files do not show up in Explorer. I know the files are there, because if I open a program, e.g. Adobe Reader, and and click on a recent file, the file opens, even though it is not listed in Explorer. This...
  10. What are these badges shown in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these badges shown in File Explorer?: For lack of a better term, in File Explorer on the lower left of folders and file icons, there are sometimes badges displayed. E.g. A checkmark or double arrow. What is the proper name for these and what do the different ones mean? [img] [img] 99895