Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use the filters in File Explorer quite heavily for some purposes e.g. filtering by date range or type. In recent years, this has become very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dt_z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. dt_z Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting

I use the filters in File Explorer quite heavily for some purposes e.g. filtering by date range or type.

In recent years, this has become very frustrating because the filters keep 'resetting'. This typically happens when I navigate away to another application or another Explorer window. Within a second of going back to the original Explorer window it will reset the filter so all files are shown again. The quick solution is to click 'back' in that window so it goes back to that filtered view. However this then happens each time I return to that Explorer window.

If I re-select the filters from scratch, then it's stable for a while but then will start resetting again after a few further file operations.

It appears to happen consistently when files are being created in that folder from another application or files simply moved from it to another Explorer window. The filter has to update, but in fact it loses the filter and displays all files.

This has only started happening in the last couple of years and I've never found any similar problems reported anywhere. Has anyone seen similar problems or knows of a solution?

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Windows explorer in details view: Set filter dissapears/resets

We recently upgraded from windows 7 computers to windows 10 computers.
    At this moment the windows explorer reacts differently than in windows 7.
    with windows 7 I never had problems with the windows explorer resetting the filters

this is how I use the windows explorer a lot:
    I use the windows explorer in details view to modify/open files.
    I put a filter on date modified, because it is a large list of files for every project I have to modify.
    I always make sure that I do not see the files I modified that day, so I know which files I still have to do.

Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting [​IMG]

My problem is that this filter disappears/resets regularly.*Mad

Actions I figured out that make the filter disappear/reset are:
    - opening a program
    - opening a file from the filtered windows explorer view
    - opening a file form a different windows explorer (not always)
    - lock screen/background: windows spotlight/slideshow refresh/ picture change

Actions I have taken:
    - lock screen/background: removed all auto update picture/slide shows.

that helped a bit know it won't reset when you are just looking at the files structure.

Any Ideas how to disable the reset of the filter?

SWVermeulen, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer - Filtering

Hello,

We acknowledge your concern regarding Windows File Explorer filtering option. Kindly answer the following questions so we can assist you better:

• When did the issue occur?
    • Were there any recent changes made on your PC?
    • Do you have the latest updates installed on your PC?
    • Does the issue occur on other devices (if you have other computers at home), or to other users on the PC?
    • Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided in the previous thread?

Get back to us with the response for further assistance.

Maria Fab, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File Explorer filters keep resetting - Similar Threads - File Explorer filters

2. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer view settings keep resetting: I set the view settings for show hidden folders and show file extensions. Everything is fine. At some point, maybe within a week or maybe when Windows does an update, it changes back to no extensions and no hidden folders.This is VERY AGGRIVATING.Please tell me how to stop it...
  3. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer view settings keep resetting: I set the view settings for show hidden folders and show file extensions. Everything is fine. At some point, maybe within a week or maybe when Windows does an update, it changes back to no extensions and no hidden folders.This is VERY AGGRIVATING.Please tell me how to stop it...
  4. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order

Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order: As stated above whenever i open a folder in file explorer it defaults back to sorting by name but before automatically resorting itself back to sorting by date, this happens everytime i open the folder, and wastes 5 or more seconds every time i navigate between folder be it...
  6. Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order: As stated above whenever i open a folder in file explorer it defaults back to sorting by name but before automatically resorting itself back to sorting by date, this happens everytime i open the folder, and wastes 5 or more seconds every time i navigate between folder be it...
  7. Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows File Explorer keeps reseting cursor to top of file display

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows File Explorer keeps reseting cursor to top of file display: Winver 20H2 OS Build 19042.844 A number of months ago, I found that doing file searches was becoming very frustrating. While scrolling through a file of pictures or documents file explorer would give a little shake and then jerk my cursor back to the top of the file display....
  9. File Explorer "Documents" Stuck on File Type Filter

File Explorer "Documents" Stuck on File Type Filter: Recently, I filtered my Documents by Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation. I had initially done it by clicking on Type, a column, and checking "Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation". Now, whenever I click on the quick access link for Documents it has Documents automatically...
  10. Windows explorer in details view: Set filter dissapears/resets

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer in details view: Set filter dissapears/resets: We recently upgraded from windows 7 computers to windows 10 computers. At this moment the windows explorer reacts differently than in windows 7. with windows 7 I never had problems with the windows explorer resetting the filters this is how I use the windows explorer a...