Windows 10: Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

Discus and support Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, i've been experiencing issues with Windows Explorer not responding for a minute or two and then comes back to life. Everything is functional on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dario Copic, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

Hi, i've been experiencing issues with Windows Explorer not responding for a minute or two and then comes back to life. Everything is functional on taskbar start menu desktop etc. But the only non functional is this pc menu for 2 or 3 minutes after its not responding. If anyone had this issue please tell me how to fix it. I'm on Windows 10 21h1.

:)

Dario Copic, Oct 24, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 24, 2021
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Oct 24, 2021
  4. Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 24, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

1. Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu - Similar Threads - File explorer freezing

2. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  3. Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu: Hi, i've been experiencing issues with Windows Explorer not responding for a minute or two and then comes back to life. Everything is functional on taskbar start menu desktop etc. But the only non functional is this pc menu for 2 or 3 minutes after its not responding. If...
  4. Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File explorer freezing after entering This PC menu: Hi, i've been experiencing issues with Windows Explorer not responding for a minute or two and then comes back to life. Everything is functional on taskbar start menu desktop etc. But the only non functional is this pc menu for 2 or 3 minutes after its not responding. If...
  5. Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.: I have Windows 10, file search after 'enter key' is annoying.So I enabled 'view option' in 'automatically type into the search box'.But that doesn't help me either.how can I fix this? Older windows version searched files or folders automatically without 'enter key'.I want to...
  6. Explorer freezes after clicking on file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer freezes after clicking on file: I'm trying to add some stuff to a game, but every time i click on a file, the window freezes. Folders don't do that though. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-freezes-after-clicking-on-file/62b24871-3bf5-4d4c-93cd-fd477ae2c528
  7. "This PC" freezing windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "This PC" freezing windows file explorer: I've just recently started having this problem where opening file explorer to "This PC" causes it to get stuck saying "working on it" and stop responding. I've tried running SFC and DISM, which had no effect. I found one similar post on this subreddit that apparently fixed...
  8. Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.: Once every time I typed a letter in the search field it would show me the files but now it only searches when I press enter. It has been too annoying for me. [ATTACH] I have done that but it does nothing and still needs me to press enter before it searches. [ATTACH]...
  9. Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC: Not sure if this is the right place for this (cross-posting onto r/pchelp), please direct me elsewhere if appropriate. This is on a custom built PC (pcpartpicker) which has been in use for around 3 years. When playing video files (mp4), File Explorer will become "Not...
  10. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...