Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm attempting to determine how much space a folder is using in Windows 10 File Explorer. I right-click the Properties and see that it says on 20Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joyelle Jolie (joy), May 22, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

I'm attempting to determine how much space a folder is using in Windows 10 File Explorer. I right-click the Properties and see that it says on 20Gb when I know it's much more. I then use an alternative app (TreeSize) and it calculates the storage used on the same folder as a much higher value which should be the actual amount based on the files that are there. I even tried the CHKDSK command to see what it reports and it was different still.

This keeps happening and it's very concerning because I can't understand why there's a difference. These two apps should produce the exact same numbers because it's the exact same folder and being measured at the exact same time.

Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage 7241e052-0a89-4fe6-907c-114fd1ac0553?upload=true.png

Thanks for your help with this.

:)

Joyelle Jolie (joy), May 22, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 22, 2019
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, May 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

Word Count Column in File Explorer

I work primarily with RTF documents. I came across the option in Windows File Explorer to add a "Word Count" column to the File Explorer display. The "Word Count" does display but it gives no count for any of the documents listed in the File Explorer.
    From top to bottom no word count is displayed for any file created in any of the word processors I use. To date my search on the internet has not found a solution to the lack of word counts.

NeilShephard, May 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

1. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage - Similar Threads - File Explorer inconsistent

2. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  3. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  4. File explorer file count and size missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer file count and size missing: I just noticed this and I don't know if it's a new "feature" or bug; the File Explorer when I would select a group of files, at the very bottom of the File Explorer the is would list out how many files I selected. Or if I select a file, it would read out the size of such...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent: I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way: 1 2 2.5 3 However, if they are files, the order will...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent: I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way: 1 2 2.5 3 However, if they are files, the order...
  7. File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?: I think I might be looking at possibly having to write an app specifically for this, but I'm wondering if there's a way to display a file count on the Desktop Icon for a shortcut called Documents (obviously linked to the Documents folder)? Point being, in a public setting,...
  8. File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.: Hello, I found several cases reporting the same bug on the Internet but did not find a solution so far. I have Windows 10 home edition on my PC and File Explorer > Properties reports wrong file count and folder volume if the folders that have subfolders. Does anybody know...
  9. File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10): Hi, I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that Windows Explorer is returning an incorrect (too low) file count on my current machine. For example, right-clicking on the...
  10. Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent: I am using Windows 10 and notice the following things when using file explorer: 1. 1. When I place the cursor over the documents folder, it shows the size as 9.09 GB instead of the 6.63 GB as shown in the properties box when I right click on the documents folder. 2....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer file count

2. WINDOWS EXPLORER INCONSISTENT FILE COUNTS