Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to...

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When starting File Explorer the explorer.exe process attempts to cache information about files under the Desktop-root including network shares found on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wiborg, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Wiborg Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to...

When starting File Explorer the explorer.exe process attempts to cache information about files under the Desktop-root including network shares found on the network.

The operation used is called "FileSystemControl" and the method uses opportunistic locking "FSCTL_REQUEST_OPLOCK" to attempt caching information. If caching fails after a few attempts, FileExplorer pauses for 30 seconds until retrying - and finally giving up the attempt. Only when the final attempt fails - after more than 30 seconds, File Explorer is released to the user-interface.

Extract from SysInternals ProcMon filtered on process:explorer.exe and operation:FileSystemControl shows (xxxx is the username):

34:04,0 Explorer.EXE 9792 FileSystemControl C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\File Explorer.lnk CANCELLED Control: FSCTL_REQUEST_OPLOCK
    34:04,1 Explorer.EXE 9792 FileSystemControl C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\File Explorer.lnk CANCELLED Control: FSCTL_REQUEST_OPLOCK
    36:28,5 explorer.exe 6676 FileSystemControl C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive NOT REPARSE POINT Control: FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT
    36:28,5 explorer.exe 6676 FileSystemControl C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive NOT REPARSE POINT Control: FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT
    36:28,5 explorer.exe 6676 FileSystemControl C:\Users\xxxxx NOT REPARSE POINT Control: FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT

Which shows the inactivity of 24 seconds until FileExplorer user interface is displayed.

If the user logs in to the network shares, FileExplorer will start without delays, but the user may have security and other reasons for not wanting to stay logged in all the time.

Any ideas to a fix or work around?

:)

Wiborg, Nov 8, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Tatty_One Win User
    Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to...

Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

I started with the steps recommended by Kapil Arya. Part way through I switched to your suggestions and the File Explorer launched following a reboot following step3.

ShockwaveFlash, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to...

1. Windows 10 File Explorer irresponsive on launch for about 30 seconds when not logged in to... - Similar Threads - File Explorer irresponsive

2. Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds: Hello, I have regularly, but randomly on my windows file explorer the following behavior: I create a folder, and then I have to wait 30 seconds before the folder is created, and the file explorer gives me the hand. During this time the file explorer is unusable. The 30 second...
  3. Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer freeze for 30 seconds: Hello, I have regularly, but randomly on my windows file explorer the following behavior: I create a folder, and then I have to wait 30 seconds before the folder is created, and the file explorer gives me the hand. During this time the file explorer is unusable. The 30 second...
  4. 100% CPU usage from svchost.exe for about 30 seconds after launching games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU usage from svchost.exe for about 30 seconds after launching games: So ever since I upgraded to Windows 11, I am facing a very weird issue that usually happens after launching a game. Or other related applications, like the Xbox Game BarWhen the issue occurs, my CPU utilization will be pegged at 100% for around 30 seconds on all cores, on an...
  5. 100% CPU usage from svchost.exe for about 30 seconds after launching games

100% CPU usage from svchost.exe for about 30 seconds after launching games: So ever since I upgraded to Windows 11, I am facing a very weird issue that usually happens after launching a game. Or other related applications, like the Xbox Game BarWhen the issue occurs, my CPU utilization will be pegged at 100% for around 30 seconds on all cores, on an...
  6. Wi-Fi turns off for about 10 seconds when I open File Explorer

Wi-Fi turns off for about 10 seconds when I open File Explorer: Hi! This happened after I updated to the latest version. I don't know, I don't think I've noticed it before. What could be happening? I am using a USB Wi-Fi adapter so maybe that is the cause. Any help is appreciated....
  7. Wi-Fi turns off for about 10 seconds when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi turns off for about 10 seconds when I open File Explorer: Hi! This happened after I updated to the latest version. I don't know, I don't think I've noticed it before. What could be happening? I am using a USB Wi-Fi adapter so maybe that is the cause. Any help is appreciated....
  8. Wi-Fi turns off for about 10 seconds when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Everything isn’t responding about 30 seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Everything isn’t responding about 30 seconds after logging in: So just yesterday, July 26th 2019, I have encountered a bizarre and infuriating issue with my computer. Whenever I log in, 30 seconds in nothing on my computer responds. My taskbar doesn’t respond, my desktop doesn’t respond, and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do...
  10. File explorer takes 30'' (seconds) to create a new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer takes 30'' (seconds) to create a new folder: Hi, as in the title file explorer takes 30'' to create a new folder, is there a solution to this? I have already verified that the disk is not "sleeping" when I create the folder. This happens to me with both ssd and spinning drives, on different pc ( HP and Asus) and also...